Author Topic: Senior cat food  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Senior cat food
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
My vet recommends senior food as it has reduced phosphorus so is gentler on older kidneys. It doesn't seem to be very palatable though so I just give a mix of foods
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
My vet said not to give a vitamin supplement as my cat eats normal and senior cat food.  He said more is not necessarilybetter

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 14:50:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 14:18:44 PM »
To be honest I feel that we should only give vitamin supplements with the advice of a vet. I know occasionally people have given supplements and it has not been to the benefit of the cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 13:49:19 PM »
My eldest is 11 and not on Senior food.
What you could do though is give him a multi Vitamin

Offline roslily

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 13:37:08 PM »
One of our cats is 15, the other two are 18months old. They were eating the same, but due to a liver condition the older cat needed a separate diet.  She has been on Hills l/d.  However the others never eat hers and she prefers her own.  This only happened since we started feeding them royal canin.  ALso the senior verison (dry) the only reason I think older cat prefers it is because it is smaller and easier to chew.  Although we have given her regular dentals, she wsa a resuce cat 3 years ago, and was treated badly, had bad teeth before that.

The vet said that if the older cat needs the senior food, (which as some have said they often don't) then it is better to feed them all senior.  But most don't need a different diet.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 13:24:04 PM »
I dont class cats as senior till they are at least 12,

While I would agree with you entirely, and a 12 year old cat in human terms could be classed as a pensioner. I think the pet food manufacturers and some vets have other ideas.and consider 8 as senior when in human terms that perhaps would be late 40's or 50ish.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
I dont class cats as senior till they are at least 12, despite what the packaging says. Not all of my oldies have had senior food, the ones that haven't have been due to their weight though. My current two have adult wet, as very few of the high meat content foods do a senior version, and have a mix of adult and senior dry, as when I put them on purely senior dry, they lost a bit too much weight. Molly does have a bit of Senior wet, but more cos it is high fibre and she has constipation issues. I think feeding more wet food is more important. Am not sure if I noticed any difference in the previous cats that were fed more on senior food, although any that had a weight issue did well on it.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 18:32:37 PM »
My old Louis the burmese hooligan, smasher of all valuables in our house (deliberately), lived on fresh food and lived to 17. Then again, Max, aged 8 or so, was diagnosed with high urea and creatinine and moved on to Hills G/D (n/a here don't think) and subsequently RC Dry Senior Kidney and Osteo for neutered cats over 10 years old (LOL) - and his readings went right down over 6 months or so. RC Senior dry (if the cat doesn't actively need wet food: kidneys etc) is a food that I heartily recommend for any cat over 10 or so as mine did so well on it. They loved it and their kidney readings were stable for about 3 years which is pretty good. Max still demands some every day and so it must taste better than it looks as he won't eat any other dry food.

Normally I'd say the first line of defence is diet against kidney disease but I mix in some i/d with the renal food as since Swampy's been on RC Renal, his IBD plays up a bit and he seems more lethargic than when he was consistently eating more i/d.  Of course it may not be the diet at all, but I do wonder if the low phosphorus diets don't need supplementing?  As for the (discontinued) beef Hills L/d, I feel that it helped (with medicines) save his life and built him up to strength again. I think diets are crucial when there is an illness.

Otherwise I'd say what they like and is reasonably good for them; and little and often as they get older if you can manage that.  Mine won't eat large meals anymore and eat about 6 - 7 times a day, which is a pain for their mum but if it helps, so be it. And I blend the RC Renal chicken to eliminate the chunks and make it milkshake like to make it easier. But I didn't have to do that until he was 15.
I would do a general health check up and bloods to see where you are with Minnie, as I don't think 7's very old at all. I've always thought about changing diet at about 10 (but stand to be corrected).

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 17:31:31 PM »
Hi Berties Mum, I have just spent 20 mins typing a story and my  :censored: internet is playing up >:(
Lost it all :censored: >:( :censored: >:( :censored:
Sooooooooo, short answer is. I saw no benefit's by giving them Senior food's (that's when they would eat it)
Hamish was eating Normal food till he went to the rainbow bridge :( at the grand old age of 17

Misty is currently eating senior, but only if i mash it down with a fork ;D

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 16:54:26 PM »
I think it depends on whether the cat has any particular problems that senior food would benefit.  Jaffa is 10 and he does not have any kidney disease, but his values for urea and creatinine are at the top end of the normal range.  I feed him a mixture of adult/all lifestages and senior food.  I'm not too keen on senior food in general as often it is combined with a light food, which is fine if the cat needs to lose weight but not if the cat doesn't (Jaffa doesn't).  Some of the ones I've looked at contain, imo, inferior ingredients to the adult version, sometimes having a higher carb content.  They also sometimes have lower protein, and although that can be good for cats with crf I think good quality protein is more important for a cat without kidney problems or in very early crf.  So I'd rather feed an adult food with a good quality protein source.  They also usually have a lower phosphorus content than the adult version which can be good for older cats (esp those with early crf), but that generally means lower than the adult version of the same brand, and not necessarily lower than an adult or all lifestages food of a different brand.  For Jaffa, I keep an eye on the phosphorus content and try to feed him adult foods with a lowish phosphorus content and I give him senior felix or perfect fit now and then.  If his kidney values go up then I might revise his current diet.

So I think it really depends on your cat's individual needs.  I wouldn't automatically feed a senior food to a cat once they get to about 8 or so (as recommended on the packaging).  Feed the cat not the age!  If a cat has no medical problems I'd continue to feed adult food but keep an eye on the phosphorus content as they get older, as it can vary a lot from food to food.

I think the most important nutrient for older cats is water, so I think it's worth adding or increasing some wet food into the diet of a senior cat and/or paying attention to providing water in lots of different ways (different containers, several places, water fountains etc).

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 15:59:14 PM »
Just trying to find out if owners of older cats think there is a real benefit to senior cat food. 

It won't cause any problems if you don't feed a senior food and as to benefits, not sure I really believe there are any! JMO - but my senior cats all eat the same as my younger ones, and my youngest adult cat is 7 yrs (so don't consider that senior anyway LOL!), my oldest is 14, and Elsa who I lost recently, was 20 and up till she was ill in the last few days, was eating the same as the younger ones. Even kitten Gwyn eats the same, just more frequently! I do think though, that old cats - and I'm talking, 14/15+ benefit from being fed more frequently too.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 15:04:33 PM »
Thanks Ela, much appreciated as always  :hug:  Minnie is at the vet's in two weeks' time for her second lot of jabs (she's having the starter vaccinations as we don't know if her previous owner ever got her vaccinated), so I think I will discuss it with the vet then.  At the last visit, I was told she's in very good health so she's obviously not missing anything in her diet at the moment ...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 14:52:04 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question -

Not stupid if you don't know the answer, asking is how many of us find most things out. I know sometimes people have  contacted a very well respected person who does not post of Purrs (but did on Cat Chat) and then posted her advice as if it were their own. That is how they found out by asking. Please see:- www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=108 hopefully it will answer your queries. Although I must say that many cats do not get senior food and do survive to a ripe old age.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 14:43:22 PM »
Our Corky is nearly 11 and he still has normal food but have wondered myself if it would benifit him changing to senior
Caroline xx

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Senior cat food
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 14:29:33 PM »
Just trying to find out if owners of older cats think there is a real benefit to senior cat food.  Minnie is seven years old and I'm wondering whether she would benefit from senior food, but it could be problematic because she eats at the same time as Bertie and Bella, and they all share each other's food.  Bertie is three and Bella is two, so they're quite a way off needing senior food yet.  Would continuing to give Minnie adult food until Bertie and Bella are older cause her any problems, or would eating senior food be a problem for the other two?  Sorry if this is a stupid question - Minnie is the oldest cat I have ever owned, so I'm not really familiar with senior food!

Link to CatChat