Author Topic: Whiskas cat milk  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Whiskas cat milk
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 01:45:55 AM »
Just occurred to me that the position of the water bowl may be 'wrong' as some of our furry friends need it moved about a bit before it's in the 'right' place  :Crazy:  In the past I've found if I put it too close to a food bowl area it was ignored. You could try (you may already have!!) leaving water bowls in different locations?

Not an option I'm afraid due to Riley's antics - see this thread  :innocent:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=6389.msg98437#msg98437

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »
Just occurred to me that the position of the water bowl may be 'wrong' as some of our furry friends need it moved about a bit before it's in the 'right' place  :Crazy:  In the past I've found if I put it too close to a food bowl area it was ignored. You could try (you may already have!!) leaving water bowls in different locations?
I would say if he's not dehydrated, he must be getting enough fluid from his food mixed with a little water.
As for cat milk, my friend saved her elderly cat with it on an emergency basis but I've always thought of it as fast food! Maybe he could get his cute white moustache from natural yoghurt instead?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:58:47 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 19:23:26 PM »
I wouldn't worry about not seeing him drink water, Helen.  If he's getting wet food he'll be getting pretty much all his water with his food.  He may be having the odd drink when you're not around.  Cats do vary in how much they drink, but I'd worry more about a cat on wet food drinking a lot (although that may be perfectly normal for that individual - an increase is more what to worry about).  I rarely see Jaffa drink water  and got a bit concerned as for months I didn't see him at the water bowl at all.  But my vet said that it was normal to never see a cat drink, and I think on that point he's probably right.  I add a little bit of water to Jaffa's wet food so I'm satisfied he's getting his water.  I do see him having a drink now and again.

I fed Jaffa and Magpie kitten milk when they were small but they seemed to go off it at about 6 months so I stopped feeding it and they never had any after.  Mosi has never had any.  I think it's an occasional treat and ok if they like it, but I wouldn't feed it too often.  I'm guessing it's not a complete food?  If not, then feeding too much might throw the nutritional balance of their diet out of whack.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 18:28:17 PM »
Perhaps when you first got him he hadnt taken to water yet but yes i do believe cats are clever enough to be manipulative  :evillaugh: 

When I was doing my prescript/obesity consults the most  the most common thing the owners would say "but they just wont eat it" I always said to them because the animal new if it held out for a wee while their owner would fret and feel bad and give them steak n kidney pie etc   :evillaugh:

I think you are right to add water , I'd advise to do it the same way as weaning onto a pres food, just put in a couple of spoons of water gradually increasing the water whilst decreasing the milk and hopefully he will take to the swap over if you do it over 2 or 3 wks.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 18:12:06 PM »
They have 75% wet food and then biccies down as a snack, I'm going to add water to his wet food then wean them off the milk so they only have it as an occasional treat.  They do like their milky-flakeums so can have them as a treat too  ;D

I don't think he's avoiding water to get cat milk (could he be that manipulative?  :-:  :evillaugh:) as when I first got them they didn't have milk for a good week or so and in that time he didn't drink any water.  They were 10 weeks old when they came home so it's not like they were tiny babies only used to drinking milk not water

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
Are you feeding the boys wet food only Helen? That'll be 80%+ water anyway. With the cats I've had, some drink quite a bit and others hardly at all. Drinking too much isn't a good sign either as you know. Maybe he'll get used to water as he gets older? You could check that he's not dehydrating by lifting his scruff. What would worry me is the vet that said that kitty milk is dehydrating as well. Noooo, I don't think your lads have a bad mum that's for sure  :rofl:
Just thought - if you tried some dry nosh, that may make him drink water. Right now, he could be avoiding water cos he knows if he yells and looks cute he'll get milk!!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
Rofl Helen, your anything but a bad mum thats for sure but welcome to my world , parenthood is one massive guilt trip  :evillaugh: (ps it gets a load worse with the 2 legged ones  :tired:  )

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »
I know how you feel Helen, as they are our kids  :evillaugh: - we want to spoil them  ;D
Maybe you could gradually water it down adding more water each time?. I know my vet is very anti catmilk and said I can only give it to Clapton very watered down. He still seems to enjoy it. I have more or less weaned him off it now but buy it as a once in a while treat. Maybe the boys will have to make do with the milkums or whatever they are called. I agree if its the only way to make him drink, it has to be better than nothing though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 00:08:48 AM »
Well if it were me i'd definately be cutting back, they are still only babies but imagine in 8 years or more if they have been getting it so often i would imagine it would be the same as us eating junk food every day which some of us maybe do  :-[  but we know we will live longer and be healthier if we dont. 

With regards to riley i understand your concern but many male cats can seem very lean up till around 9-12 months when they appear to bulk out abit, his muscle mass etc should increase over the next few months, I defo noticed a difference in cody even after 1 and lots of the cat castrates came in well looked after but like bean poles (we castrated at 7 mnth minimum)  I wouldnt panic too much but would possible suggest using the kitten stage food for a while if you are still worried.

Having said that i also wouldnt panic about the milk too much either just be abit stricter and not such a push over  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

I never thought of it as me being a bad Mum feeding them junk food  :(  I make sure they have high quality, high meat content wet food and also high quality kitten dry and then I'm spoiling it all by giving them the milk.  I wouldn't feed my kids (if I had any!) junk food and I feel the same about the boys diet.

I'm going to start adding water to Lu's food and cut down on the milk, Riley drinks LOADS of water as it is so I'm not worried about him water wise.  Riley is what I would describe as lanky - the same height as Lukey but much longer, he's not skinny but is what I'd describe as lean even though they eat the exact same amount and type of food.   Lucas is small but very muscular, my sister calls him her little bodybuilder :)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 21:31:55 PM »
smidgen is obsessed by the toilet I even get little ear-tickles when I am using it and he is trying to see what is happening  :rofl: Most disconcerting!! and he loves watching it flush, from the vantage point of the seat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 21:30:23 PM »
Ging must be the only cat who drinks his water from the toilet therefore we can't put bleach etc down or if we do flush it thoroughly afterwards :shy:

Tigger used to drink from the toilet. But then he'd turn round and do his number 2s in it. I worried he'd do it in the wrong order one day... :sick:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 21:30:13 PM »
Ging must be the only cat who drinks his water from the toilet therefore we can't put bleach etc down or if we do flush it thoroughly afterwards :shy:

....ive another couple here  :sick: i drive myself nuts putting the lids down on the loo's one on ground floor and one two flights up  :tired:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 21:13:39 PM »
My old cat Nigel loved it, and I swear it kept him going towards the end- that and pond water :Crazy: I have tried giving it to my new cats, Leo and Lawrence and they were not impressed with the milk .I ended up giving the rest of it to my neighbour as her elderly cat also loves it :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 20:48:48 PM »
Well if it were me i'd definately be cutting back, they are still only babies but imagine in 8 years or more if they have been getting it so often i would imagine it would be the same as us eating junk food every day which some of us maybe do  :-[  but we know we will live longer and be healthier if we dont. 

With regards to riley i understand your concern but many male cats can seem very lean up till around 9-12 months when they appear to bulk out abit, his muscle mass etc should increase over the next few months, I defo noticed a difference in cody even after 1 and lots of the cat castrates came in well looked after but like bean poles (we castrated at 7 mnth minimum)  I wouldnt panic too much but would possible suggest using the kitten stage food for a while if you are still worried.

Having said that i also wouldnt panic about the milk too much either just be abit stricter and not such a push over  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 16:18:22 PM »
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 14:33:21 PM »
I would be trying to cut back on their kitty milk and going all guns with the water, if the milk is the only liquids he ever drinks then i cant imagine that it will be too healthy, esp long term.

try leaving the tap dripping for a couple of days and see what he does.

The tap would be no good for Lucas, he hasn't worked out how to get up on the worksurfaces - Riley would be in his element though  :evillaugh:  I can add water to his wet food, he is so food orientated that he doesn't even look up once he's been fed - he clears his bowl in 30 seconds flat so I know he'd get all the water I add to it.  Would it be bad to continue with the milk aswell as daily wet food water supplements?  Like I said it's not just the moisture side of things for Lu, I like Riley to have it to try and fatten him up,

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 14:25:41 PM »
I would be trying to cut back on their kitty milk and going all guns with the water, if the milk is the only liquids he ever drinks then i cant imagine that it will be too healthy, esp long term.

try leaving the tap dripping for a couple of days and see what he does.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 14:24:48 PM »
Mango used to drink milk. When I got her from the rescue lady she was still having a little bit with her food. The first night I got her, she woke me at three in the morning for some and I had to feed her from the palm of my hand, as she wouldn't drink from a bowl.

Her nickname was captain Milkybeard.  :Luv:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 13:18:43 PM »
Helen does Lucas not drink water at all ?  I'd seriously be trying to get him into the habit of doing so, What happens if you withhold that milk for 2 or 3 days would he not drink it then ?  It might be the same case as kids who may not eat meals knowing you'll give in and give them junk food or sweets eventually just so's they've eaten.

Nope, never  :(  I put some extra in his wet food once and he ate no problems so I know that I can get it down him that way. They didn't have kitty milk for a good week or so when I got them as I didn't want to upset their tummies and in that time he didn't drink a drop of water.  I know peopke say they do drink it you just don't see them but I'm 100% certain he doesn't. 

What happens if you withhold that milk for 2 or 3 days

Are you crazy  :Crazy:  Never tried to be honest, Riley is like a string bean so I like him to have the extra 'food' part of the milk and I worry about Lukey dehydrating if he doesn't have the milk available. 

MM - Is Lactol OK for adult cats?  That would be handy to be able to mix it up to order, also might help put some weight on the longest string beaniest cat in the world Riley.  I've been thinking about a water fountain, I had one before and I think the faint whirring would prevent Lu going within a mile of it - he's a chicken when it comes to strange noises  :doh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 13:28:35 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »
I descale mine every now & then. If you use the one for kettles, it should be safe but I rinse like I have OCD  :evillaugh:

Since I started using bottled, it doesn't scale up so much. I get the 2 litre bottles in lidl for 27p  ;D

As a bonus, if you have central heating, they help to humidify the air  ;D

The drinkwell ones are more expensive but are real workhorses. It really does encourage them to drink more. I don't bother with the filters as I think they are a rip-off.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 11:38:26 AM »
I want a water fountain but the water where I live is really hard, can you descale them?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »
I think Lucas should get a water fountain for xmas  :evillaugh:

My lot get cat milk for a treat every so often. Taz prefers Lactol, something to do with the price he said  :doh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »
Mine are happy with water but Clapton loves milk once in a while. The vet told me to even water down the cat milk as its dehydrating. Its still cows milk with the lactose reduced so not a natural food for cats. Willow & Kylie are happy with their Freshflow water fountain which has been on 24/7 for 2 1/2 years! - except for cleaning! - I only put bottled water in it. Clapton also has bottled water in a bowl but prefers to hunt around the garden for the dirtiest, smelliest water he can find  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »
My boy Max goes made for his Whiskas milk, he only has it as a treat every few weeks though  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »
If they like the cat milk and you want to save a bit of money, evaporated milk has the same ingredients and all you need to do is add water and hey presto cheap kitty milk.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »
My adults don't like cat milk at all. The kittens love it - but I'd a agree with the others that as an occasioanl treat, it's harmless.  :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:01:04 AM »
Helen does Lucas not drink water at all ?  I'd seriously be trying to get him into the habit of doing so, What happens if you withhold that milk for 2 or 3 days would he not drink it then ?  It might be the same case as kids who may not eat meals knowing you'll give in and give them junk food or sweets eventually just so's they've eaten.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 03:31:53 AM »
I remember years ago tried giving Hamish and Misty cows Milk, they would sniff it but they would never touch it !! couldn't understand that
as I was always led to believe Cats liked milk ( tv etc ) water used to be put in bowls but I very rarely saw the boys drink from them
until one day I heard a noise coming from the kitchen, I went through and the both of them were going daft for the dripping tap
from that day onwards I always kept a Tap in the Bath running 4 them.
I did get them the cat milk whiskas,felix,tescos own, and they also liked that (for a short time anyway)

Helen(Tiggy's Mum) you could maybe try Lucas with the running tap ??
Hint: do not let it flow too fast so you can Hear it ( it'll keep you awake all night !!)  ;)

Misty N Stuart

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 01:31:08 AM »
The boys have kitty milk every day, they are kitty milk-aholics  :Crazy: Lucas doesn't actually drink water so he has to have it as a drink, I get the kitten milk from PAH and probably go through about 10 bottles a month now (used to be nearer 20 so I have cut down!) - that's enough for them to have a good slosh each every day :) 

Here's a few 'kitty milk' pics :)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 23:08:32 PM »
I used it when the hot weather put my cats off their food. They also had dry food and water down all day, and I gave them pouches to avoid putting too much food down at once and letting it go off. When it was really hot though, it was just too much trouble to eat. (And I knew how they felt!)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 22:59:12 PM »
Mine also get is as a treat and they both love it, they wont have the Felix brand though.

They always have access to water and I regularly see them drink

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 22:54:02 PM »
Cats should never be given ordinary milk. Cat milk is specially formulated so that they can digest it properly and so that it doesn't harm them.

It should ideally be given as a food addition but not in place of food. I supplement our cats food with a bowl of milk. They also have access to water bowls qll round the house. Only 2 of the 7 will regularly have milk and they will only drink the Felix brand. Both turned their nose up at Whiskas. Having siad that I was recently looking after a friend's cat and he liked Felix or Whiskas.

None of my cats really like Whiskas wet food either preferring Felix pouches. I could understand one being fussy but 7???
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 22:48:46 PM »
Just a treat then its fine but i'm with Blackcat, cant see the point really.  My lot have only ever had water.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 22:45:18 PM »
I don't see the point myself. If your cat is happy drinking water, which is good for it, why add Whiskas milk?

Bertie is actually happiest drinking water straight from the tap, and I doubt we can find a Whiskas cat milk tap  :rofl:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 22:41:59 PM »
I got my lot some for a bit of a treat but I ended up chucking it in the bin, they just sniffed it and looked at me like I'd gone completely mad. They're used to their water I suppose.

If mine had enjoyed it I'd probably let them have some, but as an occasional treat   ;)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 22:38:23 PM »
Whiskas milk is actually classed as a "food" rather than a drink and as such should only be given in moderation.  My lot have it ocasionally as a treat ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 22:34:51 PM »
I don't see the point myself. If your cat is happy drinking water, which is good for it, why add Whiskas milk? Read the label, it is probably full of all sorts of additives (as is the water, but you get my drift)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Whiskas cat milk
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 22:32:40 PM »
I've never given my cats milk as I understand it's not great for their digestion, but a neighbour bought a bottle of Whiskas cat milk as part of Bertie's birthday hamper last week  ;D  I opened it yesterday and Minnie and Belle love it, although Bertie seems suspicious of it  :rofl:  What do people think about it - does it have any particular health benefits for cats or is it a gimmick?  Not sure whether to buy it again or not.

Link to CatChat