Author Topic: RSPCA pet insurance  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: RSPCA pet insurance
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 17:04:30 PM »
I have done the dirty deed and cancelled M&S and employed AXA this afternoon..................messed up one of forms grrrrrrrrrr cos put a typo in the bank code on one insurance.

I got the attention span of a flea when trying to do 4 things exactly the same  :rofl:

So I rang them and the customer service lady was very nice and just as nice as the M&S people.

M&S hav a special button number just for cancellations and they do not even ask whym guess they know  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 15:09:44 PM »
The sticker should have some letters in the middle of it. It comes off the vial that has the vaccine in it so has to have them.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 15:02:17 PM »
They are number codes.. Pure vax stickers ???

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 15:00:32 PM »
On his cert of vaccinations it only gives a code on a sticker & there is only 2 pure vax stickers which mean absolutely zilch to me !

RC or RCP or RCPCh or RCP FeLV?

He's probably had RCP

I'd change to AXA if i could find any opinions on their service and payouts. M&S have been nice and quick and paid for 2 dentals  :sneaky:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »
es my vet said he wouldnt need the leukaemia one either due to the indoor thing. 

We have all our cats that are to be homed as  indoor/outdoor injected against enteritis, cat flu and leukaemia and for those that are to be indoor only against enteritis and cat flu. 
How common are these things that the vaccinations are for ?

Quite common however, if the cat is injected it may still get the infection but it may not be so ill as if not injected.
We have noticed a huge reduction in the number of domestic cats we hear about with leukaemia since the introduction of the injection. In fact (touch wood) where as we used to have almost one a week we have not had one in almost 5 yrs.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:34:09 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »
Just signed up with Axa.. £9.83 a month. Which is a HUGE saving compared to Pet Plan.. I did want to go with Pet Plan but I looked into it & they wanted something stupid like £28 per month!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 09:14:33 AM »
my vet says that my cats don't need the leukaemia jab as they are indoor cats.  So they are vaccinated in line with my vets recommendations  ;D   All it really means is that if your cat were to get any of the conditions that you can vaccinate against they wouldn't pay out.

Yes my vet said he wouldnt need the leukaemia one either due to the indoor thing. 

How common are these things that the vaccinations are for ?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 08:04:07 AM »
I always say yes to the vacc, and if they did get something FeLV related, then i accept they wouldnt pay - but mine aren't done for similar reasons to Gill - they are both 14, and have had outdoor access before coming to me, so should have an immunity.
Out of interest, I think £6k per condition for oldies is fine, if I got to that amount for a health issue in one of mine, I Think I would be wondering what quality of life they had - but I wouldn't entertain it for a youngster.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 22:42:10 PM »
I interpret that question with the emphasis on your vets recommendation - my vet says that my cats don't need the leukaemia jab as they are indoor cats.  So they are vaccinated in line with my vets recommendations  ;D   All it really means is that if your cat were to get any of the conditions that you can vaccinate against they wouldn't pay out.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 22:03:49 PM »
who got the vaccinations and if it was not you and you dont use same vet then answer is yes  ;D

Mine all dont have leukamia but I still answer yes, 3 of them are too old and dont need it my vet said and misa will be in two years time.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 21:52:42 PM »
Im just in the process of getting the quote with Axa & it has asked me some Q's that Im not sure of !

Has your pet been vaccinated in line with your vets recommendations against feline infectious enteritis, feline leukaemia and cat flu ?

Now I know he had the Flu one but im not sure what else. On his cert of vaccinations it only gives a code on a sticker & there is only 2 pure vax stickers which mean absolutely zilch to me !

???????

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 21:42:05 PM »
Yes I think they are giving a discount cos it says if you have another pet insured with them to put in the number so I was having to keep pasting in the quote number from one of the others.

I am cancelling with M&S tomorrow and its gonna save me over £36 a month!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 21:37:10 PM »
Found this very useful ladies thank you. Got my reminder that Leo's Pet Plan 6 weeks freebie is nearly up. Going to get a quote with Axa.  :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 23:19:56 PM »
You have to have one policy per cat but often there are discounts for multiple policies.

Axa also underwrite M&S and Sainsburys but will have to see what they quote on their own compared to M&S which went up by over £30 for my 4 this year.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 21:58:16 PM »
I've just been on AXA's website to do a quote, but it'll only let you do it for one cat - unless I cant see the 'add another cat' button for looking???

You'll need to quote them seperately. Do Axa give a discount for multiple policies? You may have to phone up to get it.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 18:42:38 PM »
Just come across this thread and glad I did as I'm looking for insurance for a 14 year old female cat - but would like to get all 3 of our cats on the one policy (boy males, 5 & 8).

I've just been on AXA's website to do a quote, but it'll only let you do it for one cat - unless I cant see the 'add another cat' button for looking???

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 18:33:23 PM »
Thanks Helen, I will try Axa too ... you're right, it is £6k per condition and Minnie isn't a young cat so I definitely need to take that into account ...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:28:14 AM »
Well they are underwritten by Axa which is a good thing in my opinion, the only thing that would worry me is that it's 6K per condition which means that say you reached the 6K over a few years they'd simply stop paying for that condition.  Axa's own insurance is per period which means you get 7k each and every year so you could run up 7k in year 1, 7K in year 2, 7k in year 3 etc etc

I've copied this from another thread about Insurance...  Have you tried getting a quote direct from Axa?  My quote with Axa was £72.66 per year whereas just did one with the RSPCA and it came out to £97.19.  Axa's own cover is far superior to what they offer via RSPCA by virtue of the fact that it's per period not per conditionhttp://www.axa.co.uk/pet/index.html

I saw on another website a comparison with M&S insurance and Axa insurance (bearing in mind M&S is underwritten by Axa).  Axa has the all important 7k per year rather than per condition.  I just did a dummy quote for an 18 year old cat (pre existing conditions excluded though obviously) and it came out to £129.

If my renewals are silly prices I'm definitely going to switch Lucas to them, will have to stick with M&S for Riley as even though the tests have showed him to be perfectly healthy I'm not going to risk another insurer trying to wriggle out of any heart related claims on the basis it's a pre existing condition.

I've copied the comparison so can't take the credit for it, text in blue is what M&S covers, red is Axa...

M&S vs AXA cat and dog policies as at 12th August 2007:

Veterinary fees £7000 per period £7000 per period

Complementary treatments £750 per period £250 per condition

Referral to behaviourist £250 per period £250 per condition

Cremation / burial expenses £100 £100

Dietary foods £200 £200 per condition

Third party liability £2,000,000 £2,000,000

Emergency boarding kennels and cattery fees £750 £750

Daily minding by someone other than kennels or cattery £750 £750

Advertising costs £1,000 £1,000

Reward £500 £250

Theft or straying £1,500 £750

Accidental death£1,500 £1,000

Death by illness £1,000 £1,000

Holiday cancellation £2,500 £3,000

Accidental damage to own property £750 £500

Quarantine costs£1,500 £2,000

Loss of Health certificate £250 £250

Repeat tick and worming treatment Covered Covered

Overseas Vet Treatment £1000 per condition

Excess £50 but pet over 9 yrs old it is £50 or 15% whichever is more  £50

[/size]

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
RSPCA pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:04:59 AM »
Anyone used them or know if they're any good?  Have been comparing online quotes for Minnie and they've come out best - but I didn't even know they did pet insurance so not sure if they have a good reputation?

Link to CatChat