Author Topic: What to do about Minnie?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Re: What to do about Minnie?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »
All the best with Minnie ;D :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
 :hug: Good luck on the introductions, hope everything goes well  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 00:35:16 AM »
Good luck with the introductions cos Minnie sounds lovely and just wants to be in your family  ;D

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 20:41:58 PM »
I think you might be right, Milly's mum ... I do wonder whether she just never got the chance to be a house cat because her previous owner always kept her outdoors ... but when she's indoors, she's so keen to have a cuddle and rub her face on everything that she does seem to be making herself at home already!  Hoping to get the cage tomorrow and get started.  I'd forgotten about Feliway, that's a good idea, thanks! :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 18:00:22 PM »
It doesnt sound like she would be that unhappy if you shut her in. Good on you for taking her in  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 17:54:09 PM »
Poor Minnie.  Good for you, taking her into your care.  Have you got Feliway diffusers?  They may help calm things down during the introductory phase.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 17:45:13 PM »
I'm with you there. If the animal cruelty act only applies to owners doing nasty things to their animals, then how are they going to prosecute when someone does something nasty to an expensive racehorse belonging to an influential person - what utter horse-s :censored:t!!

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 17:39:26 PM »
I am seriously appalled at the response you got from the police. How stupid are they? I know that you've got  lot on your hands at the moment but, I'd be very tempted to report the policemen who refused to do anything. >:(

Anyway, good for you for helping Minnie and good luck with the introductions with your other cats. :Luv:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 17:02:34 PM »
Thanks guy, just wanted to set my mind at rest that I wasn't doing anything too extreme!!  The poor thing has been through so much already, bless her!  The only problem now will be keeping Bertie out of the cage, given his love for all things box-shaped  :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 16:42:16 PM »
Some cats dont tolerate being caged, but it can be a good way to introduce new cats. As long as it is large enough for them to have food, water, bed and tray, they should be OK, as it isn't a long term thing.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 16:16:19 PM »
A lot of the time I have heard the other girls mention that they have trapped cats and they have stayed in cage all night until they could get them to vets etc, but I'm sure someone with more experience will keep you right  :hug:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 16:07:47 PM »
Believe me, it wasn't a hard decision, she's absolutely lovely - and yep, Bob's Mum, I'm hoping that what comes around goes around!  I couldn't believe how disinterested the police were - they said the only possible crime that had been committed was trespassing in my garden, which was really the least of my worries!
A friend who catches feral cats said she has a cage I can borrow (my house is open plan with the only interior doors being on the lounge and bathroom, so that's not really a possibility).  Is it really not cruel to cage her, do you think?  I don't want to upset her!

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 15:56:31 PM »
Well done for giving Minnie a home, hope it all works out for you all. 

Shame on the thugs that torture and torment poor innocent animals, they will get their comeuppance

:grouphug:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 15:50:59 PM »
Do you have either a spare room or access to a large dog cage? Fingers crossed on introducing them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 15:33:55 PM »
Wll done for taking Minnie  into your home.  I would suggest trying to introduce her carefully to your residents.  This link will give advice on the best way to to it: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4789.0
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
What to do about Minnie?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 15:27:34 PM »
hey all,

Slightly long story, but will try and keep it brief!
Back in May, my nextdoor neighbour emigrated and left behind his gorgeous black and white cat Minnie, without a word to anyone in the street.  Once we all realised he was definitely gone and that a rather confused Minnie was still hanging around, I volunteered to take her on, as I really am fond of her.  Neighbours who had known Minnie longer than me told me that she had always been an outdoor cat (she's about seven years old) and would be happy as long as I left food outside for her and made a fuss of her now and again - which seemed ideal as it would avoid upsetting my two indoor cats, Bertie and Bella.
It quickly became obvious that Minnie being an outdoor cat may not have been her own choice.  It wasn't long before she would bolt inside the house every time I opened the front door, trying to climb onto laps for a cuddle.  She was obviously much happier eating Bertie and Bella's food indoors than her own outside, and I always feel awful putting her back out, especially as she will often turn back up crying on the doorstep several times a night.
I was already considering trying to introduce her to the other two and install a cat flap for her, when we had a horrible incident on Tuesday.  My neighbour told me that Minnie was sleeping in my front garden when two lads with a large dog walked past, deliberately threw the dog at Minnie and then laughed as the dog started attacking her.  My neighbour broke up the fight and Minnie ran away, returning on Thursday amazingly unharmed.
Although we have informed the police and dog warden, they're not doing much and I'm now terrified for Minnie's safety.  She has been even keener to be in the house since this happened.
My real problem is how to I go about giving Minnie access to the indoors without upsetting any of the cats?  She has come face to face with the others a few times, and although they seem more curious than anything else, Minnie will always hiss, growl and run away.  People have suggested just shutting her indoors with the others and letting her get used to them, but is this cruel when she's more used to being outside - and will it unsettle the others?  They've been together since Bertie was 11 months and Bella was 5 months (they're now three and two), and have a mainly good relationship.  I'm not for one moment trying to permanently stop Minnie being outside - I would just like her to know that the cat flap is there and it's safe for her to use it should she ever feel threatened.
Sorry for the long post - all help gratefully received!!
Anna x

Link to CatChat