Author Topic: Ginge the deaf cat - advice please  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Ginge the deaf cat - advice please
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »
Am so glad there was a happy ending to this, the poor babe being so scared.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 23:30:39 PM »
Awww poor babe, I'm so glad you found him safe  :hug:  I hope the owner has managed to get everything sorted out, I think in your shoes, I would have been pretty peeved off by the whole thing as well  >:( 

After saying I've had no experience of deaf cats, I ended up getting one in that had been abandoned by his owner, he's pure white with pale blue eyes and absolutely gorgeous, he can't hear a thing but lets you know when he wants something  :Luv:  :Luv: 

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 23:13:00 PM »
Sorry guys. I've not yet posted a picture of Ginge. I need to get my computer sorted out. I'm looking after Ginge again this week.

It has been one hell of a week. I went to feed Ginge and the house had been broken into whilst the owner was on holiday with the connivance of a family member with problems and parts of it were trashed. Ginge was nowhere to be seen and I lost it big time with the teenagers who had gone there thinking it was a legitimate party.

Most fled when I went in with a neighbour and lost my rag. It got a bit ugly as about 30-40 teenagers congregated down the road feeling aggrieved at my, shall we say, less than sympathetic attitude. I called the police and, eventually, a police car came. It took a while as just about every policeman in and around London had been drafted into the Notting Hill carnival - 11,000 police over there!!!! The youths scarpered.

More importantly we found Ginge who was hiding in the garden and calmed him down. The fear that he must have had brought down the red mist hence my response. He is OK now and we have become even closer. The owner returned and once everything was secured went back to finish his holiday.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 00:56:08 AM »
Sorry I don't have any ideas on deaf cats but the feathers sound like a good idea.  Hope everything else is okay with you Pete, it's seems pretty quiet without you around  ;)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 00:50:50 AM »
Thanks Des and thanks for your comments a while back about Beanie.

I'll try to upload a picture of Ginge tomorrow. I'm having problems with my PC at the moment and have not got the hang of loading and sizing photos although the advice below is appreciated.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 21:42:46 PM »
Glad your lot are fine PEte, and that Beanie's tests were negative.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 15:30:05 PM »
Hi Beanie, if you use the link provided you will be able to resize your piccies  ;)

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 14:19:29 PM »
Milly's Mum,

Will try to post a picture but I'm not up to speed on how to do it and keep it small.

Hi Lyn.

How are you? Very busy lately - new job, helping to find lost cats, the odd bit of fundraising and decorating.

As for the gang -

1. Beanie is bright. The vet thought she might have mammary cancer but, thankfully, the results do not show it. She still has too many white blood cells but it is thought to be associated with her opportunistic mycobacteriul problem. That, in itself, is unchartered territory for the veterinary profession and I'm relying on FAB expertise as is my vet.

2. Tarzan had his thyroid glands removed - hyperthyroidism. It left a problem with his liver which is receiving ongoing medication.

3. Millie & daughter Tiggy are fine. I love watching the devotion they display to each other in quiet moments.

4. Molly is still gorgeous but still a gannet looking to rival Barney.It is a full time job trying to stop her but she is a real beaut.

5. Katie is a real smoocher. She miaows till I sit down in a chair and eat. She then jumps on the chair and eats her food. She rarely touches her food before I sit down and never gets fed up with strokes. I put the latter down to her semi feral existence for, at least,6 years.

6. Finally Barney is realising that he is an important member of the family and not there to make up the numbers. I think his previous owners played rough with him but he is developing more into a beautiful cat. It only takes time, patience, some gestures and letting him come to you on his own terms.

Similarly, Ginge is renowned for the odd swipe but has been a perfect patient. We visit him twice daily and ensure that we give him some quality time. He loves the view from the patio window where he lives. I have been teasing some knots from his right rear flank which obviously gives him some difficulty. He has responded well and by the time his 'family' return he will havea  lovely coat.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 20:03:29 PM »
Hi Pete.

Ginge sounds lovely and although i have no constructive tips on your question i'd like to say that he sounds quite happy and content with his lot from your description  :)

ps hows your own wee tribe getting on ?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 17:48:43 PM »
Can you get us a piccy? Old and ginger   :Luv: :Luv:

Moving him would probably be more stressful and he sounds happy with his grooming sessions  ;D

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 17:40:24 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Swampmaxmum,
Thanks for that. I agree and have been doing that especially the non threatening eye contact and narrowing and closing of my eyes to indicate friend.

Ruth,
The vibration suggestion is good and I will do that.

CC Macey,
That really would be my prefered option but there are 4 problems -

1. I have 2 rooms in the house out of bounds as we have the plasterer in;
2. we have 7 cats and one of them needs peace and quiet due to an ongoing medical condition;
3. Ginge doesn't like other cats;  It would be stressful for them all and cats don't like change at the best of times.

Sam,
Thanks for the link and idea about a feather.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 16:15:22 PM »
Hi, my Swampy went deaf quite recently. Not giving him a fright by waking him suddenly is definitely good advice. I approach slowly and move things around so he does pick up a few vibrations. I think he still likes to be talked to as can see your mouth moving, but eye contact's very important. And touch obviously. I was really distressed at first but peeps on here told me Swamp would adjust to his quiet world and he pretty much has. However with deafness can come more anxiety about changes, so he may need a real old fuss made of him while his slaves are away. Purrs to another little deaf boy! Not sure on the geese thing (!! ;) ) but obviously games which are quite gentle and very visual are easier. And catnip toys too :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 16:12:47 PM »
Ooo there's a lake with swans and Canadian geese just 5 mins from me....thats on foot......

Ditto and also only about 100 yards from my daughters house.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 15:09:43 PM »
Ooo there's a lake with swans and Canadian geese just 5 mins from me....thats on foot......i must go and find a few  :)

feather's that is  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 15:10:20 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 15:03:42 PM »
There is some info here on deaf cats.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4784.0

With regards to toys I would offer him a feather (large feathers goose or swan are the best).   All cats I have ever met love playing with a nice big feather.

If you have problems finding feathers let me know .... I go down the embankement most lunchtimes and there are always loads of goose feathers lying around (I promise to find you one without any ticks attached  :rofl: ).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 15:27:43 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 14:43:00 PM »
You have to remember they rely on sight & vibration so a lot of facial expression would help also if you enter the house while he sleeps make sure you get some gentle vibrations going, so that he dosnt get a start...better than touch  ;)

Hope that helps n good luck  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 14:44:00 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 14:39:06 PM »
Could you not give the old puss a holiday of his own and let him stay with you if possible? Just while his owners are away.

give ginger a cuddle from me x :ahh:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 14:25:52 PM »
Could you not give the old puss a holiday of his own and let him stay with you if possible? Just while his owners are away.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Ginge the deaf cat - advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 14:21:01 PM »
Hi all,

Long time no speak!

I am currently looking after an 18.5 year old cat whilst the owners are on holiday. He is a lovely big ginger lad and I am visiting his home twice a  day.

Naturally I clean his trays, ensure there is fresh wet and dry food and cat milk along with a few cat treats. He really has very little hearing and can get a bit of a start if he wakes seeing me in his home. I spend some quality time with him.

I made sure that he saw me with his owners before so that I am not a complete stranger invading his home.He doesn't have any toys and his senior citizenship means that he has slowed down a bit. I have brought some string and a cat ball and there is evidence that he has played with the ball when I've gone.

He has relatively minor matting on one side as his flexibility is not what it used to be. I have brought a proper short hair cat comb and he is as happy as any cat can be having the knots gently teased. He purrs away when he sees me and when I stroke him. Naturally I keep him indoors.

My question is to anyone witrh experience of deaf cats. Are there any tips to make his time more comfortable?

Link to CatChat