Author Topic: Rolly's still soiling his bed  (Read 1610 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Rolly's still soiling his bed
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:38:32 AM »
I'd be inclined to think he has some degree of CRF..this would tie in urinary prob and the strange licking/eating litter.

Request he has a full bloody tests which should inc haematology as gillian said this type of licking can also indicate anaemia.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »
yes I was thinking along the same lines. Very unusual for any animal to sleep in its own urine and with so many other places Rolly could just as easily go I'm thinking senelity ? If he wee'd elsewhere in the house you might think territory issues or he's too frightened to go outside etc . Even if he used his bed because he was too ill or lazy to get up out of bed you would expect him to go to sleep somewhere else.?

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps he is unaware of it ?  If he has a sphincter problem or bladder crystals he may not be aware he has wee'd ? my guess is poor Rolly has senelity if you can say that about an elderly cat.

By the way the licking thing could be his attempt to get some salt. One of my eldely cats used to lick the walls in my old cottage for the salt crystals . If he has kidney problems then this could explain everything. Try get a salt lick from the pet shop they do them for small pets like hamsters and guinae pigs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
Think Gillian has covered most of it - but where is the closest tray to his bed? It is very unusual for cats to want to sleep in a bed they have just weed in.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 18:37:18 PM »
Following on from my post back in May, regarding Rolly who is a 15y old Persian and had a tendency to urinate in his bed. He has been to the vets and is OK.

He now uses this bed as his litter tray (only for wee) on a permanent basis, he wees and then stays in it and even sleeps in it.

the only thing we have noticed is that he licks his litter and the concrete base to our garden parasol.

Is this an age thing? or have we let him get into the habit of using his bed as a toilet, if so how do we break this habit.

When you say he's been to the vets and is OK - does that mean he's had blood tests to check kidney/liver function etc? It would be a good idea at his age to have a senior blood panel done. Did they test his urine to rule out infection? Did you vet suggest anything at all that might help? Eating/licking litter and concrete and suchlike can point to anemia, which is why a blood test would be a good idea, if you havent already had that done.

Did you try having several trays around the house? It does sound as though there may have been an initial problem, being caught short, an infection or something, and it has now just become  habit as you thought. Have you tried leaving a tray down without any litter in at all? - maybe just lined with newspaper.

Offline booboobear

• Kitten
Rolly's still soiling his bed
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 18:18:08 PM »
Following on from my post back in May, regarding Rolly who is a 15y old Persian and had a tendency to urinate in his bed. He has been to the vets and is OK.

A brief re cap, he started weeing on our bed so we brought him a cat bed which he uses with no problem. However he started to wee in this as well.

He now uses this bed as his litter tray (only for wee) on a permanent basis, he wees and then stays in it and even sleeps in it. This results in us having to change his bedding a couple of times each day and to shower him regularly, which we don't mind doing but it's not ideal.

We have tried different litter, feliway etc all to no avail. He has a good appetite and doesn't appear to be drinking excessively, the only thing we have noticed is that he licks his litter and the concrete base to our garden parasol.

Is this an age thing? or have we let him get into the habit of using his bed as a toilet, if so how do we break this habit. We have 2 other Persians and they have all lived together for over 10yrs with no problems.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Link to CatChat