Author Topic: Cat dripping wee  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat dripping wee
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
Both birmans and also Napoleon all like to have front paws on edge of tray or outside, originally it was only Ducha and helped him elevate his tail end cos of only having 3 legs.

I think they do it so they dont get a dirty tail end and trousers  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 19:18:39 PM »
He seems to get wee on his back paw and then trails it around the kitchen. He is quite a large cat so possibly his tray is a bit small- he likes to put one back paw on the side of the tray, then have his front paws on the floor, out of the tray. It looks quite comical.   

Not sure what litter he uses? the bit about him standing like that sounds as though he may be trying to avoid standing actually on the litter - I know you said you've changed litters already, but if the granules are largish cats sometimes find them uncomfortable on their paws, so perhaps try a finer, more sandy-like one?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 13:49:21 PM »
why I'm a fan of clumping litter  :naughty:

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 13:44:01 PM »
Think I may as well- I like the liners as it should, in theory, make it easier to clean the tray. In reality, he's a big, strong cat and a VERY enthusiastic digger- he rips it to shreds in no time, then the tray ends up full of whatever he's depositing, so I end up cleaning it anyway.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 13:35:40 PM »
I'd loose the liner as well, a lot of them don't like them

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 13:26:07 PM »
May give one of those hooded trays a try- he likes to dig too, gets litter everywhere and claws the liner to shreds, so would maybe make tray cleaning a bit easier.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
maybe he does just need a bigger tray?  my bengal hasn't ever learned the art of staying squatting when she pees, a hooded tray solved my problems (well except for when she goes in and doesn't turn around!!)

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »
Just a quick update on the dripping- still doing it but hit and miss.
He seems to get wee on his back paw and then trails it around the kitchen. He is quite a large cat so possibly his tray is a bit small- he likes to put one back paw on the side of the tray, then have his front paws on the floor, out of the tray. It looks quite comical.   
The smell has, however, died down. It is now, mercifully, like normal wee.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 13:57:17 PM »
Poor little thing. I hope he#'s feeling better soon.  :Luv:

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 14:34:50 PM »
Sheilarose- meant to add, yes, he does a full wee. seems to get everything out in one go, dosn't strain- if it wasn't for the drips/smell, it would be totally normal

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 14:28:24 PM »
Hello, bit of an update, not a lot of light shed on it though at the moment.

We went to the vet's on Friday afternoon and she had a good look at him.
No sign of an infection but vet gave him an injection of antibiotics, just in case. He's had the jab that is like tablets but lasts for 2 weeks.
With the smell- vet told me stress/fear can make the urine smell stronger. I think the hot weather may also have made the house smell worse. I had put his litter tray soiled contents in the kitchen bin that morning, which probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do.

Vet seemed to think it could possibly be a behaviour problem- ie not quite finished in the tray and jumps out when he still has a bit left. I try to stay out of the room when he goes, as don't want him to feel threatenned or anything, but sometimes it's difficult to avoid him as he seems to like to go when I get up in the mrning and again when I get in from work.

Going to try another, second tray, but in another part of the house, and Ive also got a better quality cat litter as I sometimes wonder if he's getting it on his paws/tail and then trailing it around. So got a more absorbant one.
Also moved his Feliway plug in down to the kitchen as he seems to spend a lot of time in there  (sleeps on kitchen chairs).

I really hope it's not a bladder weakness, though I would have thought it would happen all the time and it dosn't. It's also a relatively new thing- he was fine for the first couple of weeks.
So we will see how we go- am keeping a close eye on him as he will have to go back to vet's if problem persists.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 14:17:44 PM »
Any news on this boy yet ?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Please let us know how you get on at the vet.

When he does use the tray is he getting a full wee out or is it just tiny bits each time?

I'm concerned this may be cystitis rather than a weak bladder (a bit paranoid about cystitis as we've just had a bout of it here with Tufty) which could mean he is near to a urinary blockage - very nasty, painful and potentially fatal if not treated quickly.   :scared:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 17:10:13 PM »
Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of this to improve both your lives  :hug:

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 16:40:56 PM »
Thanks for your help Teresa and Rosella, Im taking him to the vet this afternoon.
Just spoke to vet and he thought possibly infection so wants to check him over.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 16:26:33 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree with Teresa.  I've only had to put up with really smelly male cat urine once.  That only lasted a couple of weeks as Fred had only just been neutered and it takes some weeks for the hormones to leave the system.  I really would make a vet appointment.  Poor lamb.  It does sound like he has a few unhappy tales to tell about his past  :(

The fact that he only leaves these small wet patches a short time after he has used the tray would still concern me.  It isn't normal and it certainly isn't normal for a neutered Tom's urine to reek  :-:

We have a very wary cat living here.  Took ages for him to settle but if I threw something towards him now, he would still be alarmed.  He was however by far the most rewarding cat we have ever homed when he eventually settled.   :)

Just saw your post.  Good to hear you are getting the vet involved.

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 16:18:42 PM »
Im going to ring the vet- put my mind at rest. Hope there's nothing wrong with him, poor old thing.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 15:59:12 PM »
Foul smelling urine needs a vet without delay

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 13:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies- he only drips when he has actually been in the tray- sometimes there are bits of litter in the small wee patches he leaves, so think may be somehow getting the urine on his fur. I thought that was a bit unsual but maybe he's just a messy wee-er?

The smell does concern me a bit- Ive had a male cat before ( neutered ), but he always went outside for the toilet so I never smelled him.
My other cat was female, and although her wee smelled it was nothing like this.

It absolutely reeks- to be honest, it does smell like un-neutered tom- if he's been in his tray, the smell hits you as soon as you walk in the door and takes ages to go after cleaning his tray.

Sounds a stupid question- but should neutered tom urine smell so strong?
He is also quite a nervy cat- he is taking ages to settle, but he was in a rescue centre for 9 months, and I get the feeling his previous owner/s may not have been great with him- if I toss a toy over to him he flinches and cringes, so don't know what's gone on in the past.
I didnt know if nerves/hormones may make his wee smell stronger?

Hope these don't sound like stupid questions, I have had cats before, but this one has some very strange behaviour.
To be honest, Im finding him a bit of a struggle but I want to persevere with him.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi  :welcome: to Purrs

Hope you like it here and stick around  :)

Assume the potent urine smell is not Tom Cat strength as he was neutered 6 months back.  Haven't come across dripping urine but I would take him off to the vet for a thorough check up.  Doesn't sound right.  Assume you have spoken with the rescue centre about this.  If not, I certainly would in case they can shed light.  I would also ask for details of any medical treatment he had whilst in rescue.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Hi Beeley
It is not normal for a cat to drip,nor is it normal for him to smell 6 months after neutering. Seems to me a trip to the vet would be a good idea as there are several things which could be wrong which when sorted will make your boy feel much more comfortable and life easier for you.

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
Cat dripping wee
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
I recently adopted a male cat, he is about 9 years old.

The rescue centre think he has been a pet at some point in his life, but was found as a stray.
The rescue neutered him, so only been neutered approx 6 months ago.

Have had him four weeks now and it's taking some time for him to settle- he is fairly friendly, still swipes and claws, but we are working on it.

He has access to outdoors, but seems to prefer to use his litter tray.

When he goes for a wee he seems to "drip"- I think he is getting it on himself and then it ends up dripping all over the kitchen floor as he pads around and sits in about 10 different places, sometimes it drips off him.

At the moment Im following him around with kitchen roll and spray cleaner, but Im really concious of the house smelling of tom cat urine, and it smells pretty potent.

Is this normal? He only seems to go twice a day, always in a morning and in an evening- usually when I get up and when I come in from work- we have a feeding/fussing/tray frenzy.

Link to CatChat