Author Topic: War wounds from fight!  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
Re: War wounds from fight!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »
Went back to the vets last week as after the anti-biotics we noticed Storm as not walking properly and kept lifting his paw up.  He is now on metacam for five days and has to be kept inside for at least 8 days.  Their is no infection and the vet can't see any damage but thinks if he is still limping after the 8 days we may have to go down the route of x-rays.....

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 14:48:24 PM »
I used the royal canin for my star she went from 5.75 I think  to 5.25

Going to have to keep him on the same food as I only like to use pet foods that either BUAV used to approve or uncaged.  I use yarrah and arden grange.  AG do have a light dry food though.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 14:33:08 PM »
I used the royal canin for my star she went from 5.75 I think  to 5.25

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 14:26:52 PM »
No claw damage thankfully.  Anti-biotics for five days.  And he has got to go on a diet!  He weighs 5.28kg! Was 5.3kg last time I went  :shocked:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
Poor storm. Hope he's okay.   :hug:

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
Vets tonight!  Storm appears to have an injury to his front paw and hasn't been able to put his paw down all weekend.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 15:55:38 PM »
cones are the way to go lol! they are about cat length (without tail) and probably around 12 inches at the base - I will try and find a photo as it would be much easier!

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 15:40:39 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32783.msg586626.html#msg586626

in this thread the pictures cut from a magazine are pretty much what we've got but without the bamboo - I would post pics but they are on a cd somewhere, I will try and dig them out

Thanks Dawn, I think I have that same magazine article! It is what we planned to do, although my other half keeps going on about the trees!  :-:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 15:34:51 PM »
for the trees it really is just a cone that fits tightly to the trunk at one end, obviously has to be long enough for them not to be able to stretch over, they run up the trunk are inside the cone then give up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 15:36:07 PM by Dawn F »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 15:31:41 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32783.msg586626.html#msg586626

in this thread the pictures cut from a magazine are pretty much what we've got but without the bamboo - I would post pics but they are on a cd somewhere, I will try and dig them out

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 15:20:37 PM »
yes metal brackets (ours were from wickes) and clematis netting was all ours was, we also have trees close to the fence and have made collars for them out of the netting, we had a couple of escapes at first but it was useful because they showed us our weak points!  its been up a good four years now (maybe 5) and I honestly wouldn't be without it

the brackets are a bit over 45 degree angle (sorry maths isn't my thing!) but upwards slightly if that makes sense

Yes the brackets we have are about the same size...we went and looked at our brother in laws neighbours garden who had cat proofed theirs.  if you have any spare time are you able to get photos of how you have done it especially the trees.  Would be very grateful!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 14:32:17 PM »
yes metal brackets (ours were from wickes) and clematis netting was all ours was, we also have trees close to the fence and have made collars for them out of the netting, we had a couple of escapes at first but it was useful because they showed us our weak points!  its been up a good four years now (maybe 5) and I honestly wouldn't be without it

the brackets are a bit over 45 degree angle (sorry maths isn't my thing!) but upwards slightly if that makes sense

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 14:29:26 PM »
My last cat Jones was always scrapping (till he got too old!), I would bathe his wounds with tepid salt water (which sounds like it should sting but doesn't) as soon as he got home and then just leave them to dry and heal naturally.

Over the years, one or two bites turned nasty and he had to have ABs but usually the salt water would sort them out.

Thank you!

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 14:28:54 PM »
cat proofing is the best thing ever!  we did a diy version for £100 and is the best money I've ever spent

Dawn...I would be very interested in any info you have on this!  We have a small fenced garden plus the garage is down one side.  Our main issue is our small trees, they are very close to the fence.  i would hate to lose them though as we are very overlooked.  Got some brackets already, our brother in law kindly got them for us.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 14:04:55 PM »
My last cat Jones was always scrapping (till he got too old!), I would bathe his wounds with tepid salt water (which sounds like it should sting but doesn't) as soon as he got home and then just leave them to dry and heal naturally.

Over the years, one or two bites turned nasty and he had to have ABs but usually the salt water would sort them out.

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 13:29:29 PM »
cat proofing is the best thing ever!  we did a diy version for £100 and is the best money I've ever spent

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 13:11:52 PM »
Insurance? If he likes a scrap, have a think about it.

I had never considered insurance before as I put money away for my animals instead, but it may be worth considering! I do hear him outside sometimes having a disagreement but its not often when he actually fights.  We're hoping to cat proof our garden at some stage this year though so that should put a stop to any future squabbles, apart from with his brother!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 13:08:55 PM »
Insurance? If he likes a scrap, have a think about it.

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 13:01:46 PM »
Sounds like he won the fight!  :evillaugh:

Keep an eye on the wounds, as Dawn says.

He might have picked up a bite on his back end if he retreated (running away wounds at the back, battling wounds at the front, see?) so worth having a poke around his hips to see if there's any sensitivity there. Bites go manky worse than scratch wounds, and would probably need ABs as the saliva in cats mouths is grizzly stuff choc full of evil bacteria that will infect a bite wound causing a hot rancid abcess. The cats temperature will increase, appetite loss and general lethargy are the main symptoms to look out for if the wound is hidden under fur.

;D Thanks both.  Will check him over again when I get back home.   I do hope this won't result in another vet trip, one of my rabbits cost me £140 this month for a dental!  I only let him out last night to go to the loo as he's a  :censored: for using the litter tray, and then he goes off for a scrap, bloomin typical!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
Sounds like he won the fight!  :evillaugh:

Keep an eye on the wounds, as Dawn says.

He might have picked up a bite on his back end if he retreated (running away wounds at the back, battling wounds at the front, see?) so worth having a poke around his hips to see if there's any sensitivity there. Bites go manky worse than scratch wounds, and would probably need ABs as the saliva in cats mouths is grizzly stuff choc full of evil bacteria that will infect a bite wound causing a hot rancid abcess. The cats temperature will increase, appetite loss and general lethargy are the main symptoms to look out for if the wound is hidden under fur.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
keep an eye on them, if they start to go red or swell he might need anti biotics from the vet

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
War wounds from fight!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Hello
Storm went out last night and ended up in a fight....he came back in wide eyed with another cats claw very slightly in his back, and some claw marks around where his collar was.  And the other cats fur in his claws! I just wiped the wounds with some warm water on cotton wool.  Could someone please offer some advice on how best to deal with these wounds?
thanks!

Link to CatChat