Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice please
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »
I would just get him to eat whatever, with his age and health issues, as not eating is much more serious in a hyper-t cat, Tino lost 400g in just 4 days of not eating. Zi wasn't keen on renal wet, and didn't really like senrio, we had a year with adult wet and renal dry, and no binders (her phosphorus was initially low).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
I agree re the binders. Muscle meat is quite high in phosphorus - normally the calcium in bone balances it out. The only binder I had any luck with is Ipakitine which is a powder. It is pretty natural being mainly calcium carbonate (chalk) and ground seafood shells. it is easy to mix into pouch food but you can also just meat and even biscuits (depending on how greasy they are) with it.

I never had much luck at all with renal pouches (they smell revolting) so opted for felix senior most of the time along with renal dry food which is accepted a lot easier. There are a lot of brands around but I found Purina n/f dry and Happy Cat renal (from zooplus) went down the best.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 00:16:02 AM »
Really sorry to hear this bonnielass  :hug: I agree with Gillian completely with reagrds to him eating is the most important factor, regardless of what it is.

Have you seen - www.felinecrf.org Lots of info on foods and absolutely everything CRF related.

Tiggy was both hyperthyroid and had CRF, she used to eat Felix senior alutrays (low in phosphorous) and then when she realised she could milk it she went for Gourmet Perle with phosphorous binders sprinkled on.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 18:48:06 PM »
My suggestion was going to be the same as Gillians re the phospherus binder, eating is the most important thing as a few days without food with such conditions is not good at all  :hug:

Some vets will bleat on that they HAVE to eat the renal food, but some cats just simply will not touch it, so you have to look at other options.

Hope your vet is helpful in this regard  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 17:46:43 PM »
I'd keep giving him the food he likes and is used to, and talk to your vet about phosphorus binders which you can put in his normal food. Binders come in powder, paste and liquid forms and most arent prescription products - and can be brought much cheaper online - but I'd still talk to your vet first. To be honest better he eats something and a raw diet can be tweaked to accommodate ailing kidneys. Have a look at the Holisticat site http://holisticat.com/crf/Diet-what-to-feed-and-protein-issues.html about what to feed.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 17:12:18 PM »
My oldie Eddie (20yrs) has just been diagnosed with the start of renal failure plus Hyper t and he also has heart murmour which the vet thinks could be caused by his levels being to high.
Hes been started on Vitalda (10mg) for his H.T.  and will go onto forteker in a couple of weeks the problem i have is that he will only eat raw foods turkey mince etc with ocassional p[ouch/tin food we have tried to wean him onto a renal diet but he went without food for 2 days rather then eat this, i did try to gradually add a bit to his normal food with the intention of eventually going onto it completely but the little beggar knew it was there and wouldnt have anything to do with it.
I know there are sevaral people on here that have cats with renal problems so any suggestions as to how and what to feed him would be most gratefully recieved plus any other info
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Link to CatChat