Author Topic: Fifi has cystitis yet again !  (Read 2270 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Fifi has cystitis yet again !
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 17:36:44 PM »
Have rung and spoken to the vet as Madam has been in the litter tray and wee is normal now ! :Crazy:
That means we don''t have to tonight and she still has 2 more days of antibiotics -so it looks like she is more or less better again  :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
We are back to the vet tomorrow evening -BUT i haven''t seen any more little tiny wees in the trays ,only normal size ones - So, either she has been doing them elsewhere (but i don''t think so as i have looked ) - Or- she is getting better and the tablets and injections have worked this time - obviously i hope its this .

I haven''t been in much today and she has been out in the garden till 9.30pm tonight , so haven''t been able to catch her going in the tray to see how much she has done !
Will try and see tomorrow before we go .

Smartie is absolutely fine and was 24 hours after coming back from the vets .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:29:35 AM by bunglycat »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 14:01:19 PM »
She had xray and scan in feb and they didn't find anything wrong .

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »
I am surprised he hasn't suggested an x-ray/ultrasound, just to be on the safe side. I wonder if it is a bit psychological with her, she is associating something with the pain? I think suggestions for that are new litter tray and different litter. I would ask him if he thinks a muscle relaxant might be worth a go as well. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 23:33:38 PM »
One other puzzling thing is when he felt her all over he said her bladder was empty !
She is no better as yet either  :'(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 20:59:24 PM »
That's strange if her symptoms are typical of cystitis unless it's taking time to clear up, not something I know much about although our Penny had it a few times and it can be persistent, hopefully these meds will help  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 16:36:48 PM »
Well Fifi is puzzling the vet as well as me now  :Crazy:

Just got back -both have had antibiotic injection and a course of tablets to take .
Smartie went to the loo at the vets in his basket -something he has never done before , poor boy !
I got him some small tins of Hills i/d and he has had a couple of small mouthfuls when we got back .

Fifi is a puzzle ! He doesn''t really know whats going on with her and we have to see if the tablets work this time and to take her back on Friday evening -but if i think she is worse or no better by Thurs i may ring and go beforehand.
He did say that he can''t keep flushing her bladder out , he is reluctant to open her up and look at her bladder too - so still in Limbo really.
If she is no better, i think they will keep her in again and test her urine and other stuff .

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Appointment is for 2.40pm - just to add more problems -Smartie has the runs -bad !
Started last night and all this morning -he hasn''t been sick -so he is coming to the vets as well !!
He will howl all the way there as usual too - no idea how he has got this as he hasn''t and doesn''t go out the garden and no change in his diet !

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:39 AM »
I would try and take a urine sample with you, it will show if it needs certain antibiotics or not. Also, if she has oxylate stones, paste for struvite ones wont help. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »
Hope all goes well at the vets today x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:51:55 AM »
After giving her all these meds for 2 days now ,she is still the same  :( 
Its off to the vets tomorrow - i really can''t understand why these and other meds before are not working  :scared:

To top it up -my colitis is playing up and my thumb is unbelievably painful as it keeps locking !  It either stays bent and i can't straighten it -or it stays straight and i can't bend it- when i do , its so stiff it hurts  like hell !
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:55:01 AM by bunglycat »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:27:51 AM »
Sending lots of good wishes to Fifi  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 23:33:15 PM »
Well, she wont drink milk or cream ! 
She is one of the most strangest cats for eating i have had really . All she really wants is the biscuits -no, she won''t eat any other sort either -i had some hills s/d in -but no chance of her eating them either !

I added some water to her biscuits when she had an abcess and she ate them -maybe i should do that again -although she has been drinking okay -maybe more so with the paste she has had the last 2 days as well .

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 23:15:43 PM »
Sending lots og good vibes for Fifi............have you tried adding water to her biscuits?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 22:36:35 PM »
Will she not have a little bit milk or cream? You could mix the Cystaid into that.  :sneaky: I know cream can upset their tums a bit but you need to neutralise the enzymes in the bladder. It's a vicious cycle as you know... sometimes it clears up on it's own but a maintenance dose of Cystaid/Cystease S will prevent flare ups.  ;)

Bladder cancer???  :innocent: I do wish vets wouldn't think out loud.  :tired: Tell your vet to google Occam's razor.  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 18:11:43 PM »
It would be worth perservering with wet - can you do a really gradual changeover, by just adding the teeniest bit of wet to her biscuits? and then slowly, over a few weeks, increase each day, the amount of wet, whilst reducing the dry.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 16:14:55 PM »
Thats part of the problem i think too- she will only eat RC Sensible dry and a few licks of chicken Sheba -she flatly refuses to eat any wet food , fresh chicken or anything else .
She may eat a few little bits of ham if she feels like it and thats it - tried mince-raw and cooked too .

I have got the tablets down her last night and we had a bit of a problem getting one in this morning ! She has had some more of the uro paste too.
I still have to give her the drops -but getting all this in her does make her stressed when she wasn''t before she got the cystitis - i have some of the cystaid capsules  but they are so big !
Also due to the fact she won''t eat wet food , you can''t sprinkle anything on the biscuits !!!

She is much the same today , but its not been 24 hours from taking the tablets and other stuff as yet as Karen brought them round when i rang her about 9pm after i had rung the vet and checked it all out with him.
She is currently sulking in the cat house outside !

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
Poor Fifi - bladder cancer is rare in cats. It might be worth keeping her on something like Cystaid or Cystease, if she is prone to it - what food does she eat?
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:01:57 AM »
Poor Fifi, hopefully you will have caught it early and she will be much better soon  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Fifi has cystitis yet again !
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 00:17:54 AM »
Stared tonight about 7-8pm .
Luckily i know someone round the corner who i was able to ring and ask her if she had any tablets or anything as she works aith rescue cats and dogs.
She had some Noraclav (250mg !!!- but was scored to be able to cut into quarters )  Meloxidyl  (for when her cat had cystitis 0 and i had some URO-PET paste for struvite crystals .

I gave her some of the paste as soon as i found out and then i rang my vet to ask about the other stuff first before i took anything from Karen .
He said it was okay to give her the drops and the tablet as long as it was cut into 4 (60mg) and give her 1 quarter tonight and  1 twice a day starting tomorrow - the drops are 3 per day for 4 days and then 1 per day .
She has seemed not to be in and out the tray so much since giving her this tonight -so hoping tomorrow when i start on it properly she will be okay .
Why does it happen week-ends /bank holidays .
If she is no better or worse i have to ring and then its £100 call out fee -and i have to drive there too and pay whatever on top of the call out fee -which i will do if i need to .
I can''t believe she has got this agian -it was only Feb. when she had all these problems and then they don''t really know what it was then (scan, bloods, x-rays all done )
He did mention bladder cancer then too and now i am worried sick thinking about this !
I am fairly certain its not stress related and she is fine in herself.

Link to CatChat