Author Topic: A good cat food but not expensive?  (Read 20046 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: A good cat food but not expensive?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
8.5% But if it is all from meat, it should be good quality protein. Others might appear higher but a lot of the protein may be from soya which is pretty rubbish for cats.

The bit that concerns me is "EC permitted colourants" - would these same colourants be allowed in human food?  :shify:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:56:50 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »
oh i know, i shop in asda and they haven't had it for a while now. Do you know the protein content of a tin?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
You can't miss Classic - the tins are bright orange with a cartoon cat on. I know Sainsbury's and Wilkinsons sell it and I'm sure other places as well. I know they sell single cans in Wilkinsons so it might be worth trying one or two first - mine lot won't touch it  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
Thanks all for your advice. I am a bit concerened about feeding her raw as i have two young children and she does play with them and lick them. I have given her a bit of raw beef before though. I can not find that classic cat food that was mentioned. I do feed her cooked chicken sometimes. I have two cats but have no problem with my male cat, he's a greedy butter  :evillaugh:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:42:51 AM »
Have you ever tried her on some raw meat? For a cat a raw mix is solid nutrition - plenty of fat and protein - a mix would contain a balance of muscle meat, bone, offal and skin for fat. Chicken wings, necks or carcasses are great for teeth, if your cat takes to these offcuts then you can move onto a thigh or drumstick which is more meaty. I have some poultry shears that I use to cut up the bones for Noah, then he eats the nutritious marrow. Noah is just greedy (tho he purrs for raw  :Luv: ) but I have heard of fussy and underweight cats really getting their appetite for raw, so fingers crossed!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 22:31:43 PM »
I feed Bozita tinned food ( from Zooplus ) very good quality and high protein content. Because it is so protein dense, a little goes a long way so it works out as good value.
The draw back is that is only available online and to avoid delivery charges you need to spend over £29 on Zooplus. I have ordered smaller amount just to try it out on my cats.
You could also try Sainsbury own premium brand Encore dry which is high protein and very reasonable.
Lastly you could try supplementing her with some raw such as the odd chicken wing.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 17:38:08 PM »
Is there a reason you don't want to use dry food then ?
Hills and Royal Canine are very good and as you only have one cat it wouldnt work out too expensive

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 17:36:54 PM »
It's a good question Becky. I'm fairly certain if we trawled through the posts we'd find a similar one somewhere but it doesn't hurt to start a new one. ;)

I personally think Classic is a pretty good meat for cats. I think it's one of the ones with better nutritional value at the cheaper end of the scale.

Welcome to Purrs, by the way! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
A good cat food but not expensive?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 17:02:58 PM »
I have a female cat who is two years old. She is very small and weighs 6lb. She eats little bits through out the day. I have just read the tins and compared to other cat foods and I am shocked in the nutrition difference  :Crazy:! I feed her felix wet tins which only has 8% protein. I would like to feed her a food with higher protein and fat. Can anyone recommend a good food that is not too expensive? The higher protein food only seems to be in dry food. I am hoping she might gain a little bit more weight by having better nutrition. Thank you in advance

Link to CatChat