Author Topic: Coming into season?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Coming into season?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 20:58:11 PM »
I guessed it might be something like that, she can not get out as the garden is safe, but not sure whether Barney will get excited if she does come into season, he's been snipped anyway...

I would still keep her in as an outside tom will break in to get to her! Resourceful creatures  ;)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 20:13:07 PM »
My mums get speyed at about the 9-10 week post kitten mark. This ensures that kittens are weaned and any milk left is minimal, the vets have always been happy to do them at this stage. Some of my mums have come into call about the 6-7 wek stage and some at neuter have still not called. Depends on the time of year and all cats differ to when they start calling again.

However be aware of silent calls when you may not be aware that they have started again, one or two of my mums have called intially but only for a couple of days and then go full pelt a couple of weeks later.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
When I had my first mum cat fostered through CP, their advice was to give her two weeks after the kittens were rehomed for her milk to dry up, and then get her spayed. I think a month is too long, as you are risking more than one heat, and every heat does increase the risk of pyometra and cancers. I have had mum cats spayed when they have still had a slight bit of milk when it has been necessary and there haven't been any major issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
Him getting excited is fine if he can't do anything about it really. ;) Just let her milk dry up and then get the little lady booked in for her op. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:17:35 AM »
They can come into call within days of having kittens so please be very careful.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 00:15:38 AM »
I guessed it might be something like that, she can not get out as the garden is safe, but not sure whether Barney will get excited if she does come into season, he's been snipped anyway...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 00:02:36 AM »
There's a health risk involved if Mum cats milk has dried up before spaying I think.

How long after having kittens can she be spayed?

The mammary (breast) development that comes with nursing can make the spay surgery more difficult. Ideally, a month after weaning allows for regression of this tissue and spaying can proceed. Unfortunately, it is possible for a female cat to become pregnant during this waiting period if her owner is not careful.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Coming into season?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 00:00:14 AM »
Any of you guys know how soon a female will come into season after having kittens? And how soon after having kittens should one get spayed?

Link to CatChat