Author Topic: Incontinence  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Incontinence
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 20:49:26 PM »
Good that the steroids seem to be doing the job, can he stay on them long term?
That's going to be our next question for the vet...I hope so as it doesn't sound as if there's a cure as such.

Dinah had the same kind of steroids long term (for itchy skin), and we had to find the smallest effective dose for her so it may well be we have to do the same with Mr. Meowser.  At least it will be fairly obvious when the dose is too low  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 20:16:36 PM »
Good that the steroids seem to be doing the job, can he stay on them long term?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 17:36:54 PM »
Hope that the steroids are helping lots xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 17:13:46 PM »
Quick update on this, the vet thinks he probably has some kind of neurological problem which means his bum isn't quite working properly. On the plus side he's on steroids now and we've not had any accidents for a week ;D

Have noticed that since he's been on the steroids he's been carying his tail a lot higher.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 19:48:54 PM »
Things seemed to be improving, but this morning we came down to find blobs of slightly runny poo all over the place and a very sore looking bottom :(  Will see if things settle again, but if not will have to speak to the vet again...

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 23:26:03 PM »
fingers crossed for lovely Dougie, and his carers

and a double cross that he doesn't get the runs :scared:
Now that really would be horrific - have moved the tray a little closer to his bed, just in case!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 23:17:18 PM »
fingers crossed for lovely Dougie, and his carers

and a double cross that he doesn't get the runs :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 23:13:28 PM »
Thanks all, even though I wouldn't wish it on anyone or their cats, it's reassuring that others have had similar experiences and it's not necessarily a sign of anything terrible!

Dougie was an absolute saint at the vet, even though he had his bottom prodded with a needle :doh:

The vet was a bit perplexed.  She doesn't think it's anything to do with his spine or pelvis, and his bottom "pucker" reflexes seem to be working fine, which is good news.  She hasn't ruled out stress, but as it's involuntary thinks it's unlikely to be the root cause.

His anal glands were full and his bottom looked very sore inside so it could possibly be either that his glands have something to do with it, or he's got some kind of infection and his bottom is swollen inside he can't really tell when he needs to go.  So, he's got a course of Synulox and some Metacam and we've to see how he gets on.  Good news is that he actually looks much more comfortable this evening (though he's probably just relieved to have escaped from the mad lady with her needle!).  Fingers crossed for a nugget free night...

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »
Buster used to shoot poop bullets without realising, he suffered from spondylitis of spine and could not always feel what wanted to come out esp if he was constipated, so not really a case of deliberate incontinence more a case of being unaware. :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:35:57 AM »
It just seems to be one thing after the other for him, poor boy.

Maybe that's the problem one thing after another, the neighbours cat, in and out of the vets, the flare up of Calici etc, I don't know but maybe a factor.   Schui used to do that quite alot actually which was probably stress related.   

Poor boy, good luck at the vets  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 00:03:59 AM »
Poor Dougie. Never had that issue with any of my cats, but doesn't mean I never will.... :scared:

Let me know how Mr Meowser does at the vets. :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Incontinence
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 22:59:39 PM »
Warning - high poo content!  Dougie keeps having poo accidents...

About a month ago he had to stay in for a week (nasty wound caused by our neighbour's cat and had to wear a buster collar :()
As usual he put off using his tray until he must have been absolutely bursting, we kept finding nuggets of poo round the house and finally after 4 days he gave in and used his tray.

Things seemed to go back to normal, but over the last week I've found nuggets on his bedding and on the floor, and yesterday evening he hopped off my lap and as soon as he landed on the floor did a poo.  This evening he put his head down to eat his tea and another small poo popped out.  It's as if he can't actually tell that he needs to go - and he looks very upset when he notices.  His bottom also looks very red and puffy.

Wondered if anyone's cat has had similar problems? We'll be going to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment, but I've already scared myself by looking on Google :'( 

He's been in and out of the vets loads recently, all his bloods are fine, although he does have calici, which has also flared up recently.  On the plus side, his mouth problems seem much better!  It just seems to be one thing after the other for him, poor boy.

Link to CatChat