Author Topic: Wormer Q - Drontal XL sent instead of normal  (Read 3051 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: Wormer Q - Drontal XL sent instead of normal
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 22:25:01 PM »
I find hiding it in pate does the trick!

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 13:42:41 PM »
Must be worming season! I just dug out some Drontal and wormed the biggest of my 2 cats....wow those XL tablets look like they are made for horses, really these manufacturers do annoy me. As if the whole pilling thing is not hard enough already they have to make the stronger version twice as big so we know we are getting extra, stupid. The two fatties are always easier....greedy hogs eat the cheese balls so fast they don't even taste the chopped up tablets. Now the other two are far more of a challenge and I will have to gather my resources before I face them.....

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
It is funny how people don't read things. A woman at college was telling me how much trouble she has worming her cat. I told her about hiding it treats etc and she said that her cat won't touch treats or real meat etc. She said she uses Drontal. I suggested Milbemax but she said that her vet won't let her have it unless the cat has been seen in the last 6 months. She said grinds up the Drontal and mixes it in the food and can't understand why the cat won't eat it  :Crazy: - she said she has tried forcing the food in the cat\s mouth with her finger but the cat gets upset  :Crazy:

I put her straight  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »
Well i remembered a day or two after posting this that Ginny and Penguin were both due their booster jabs, so took them up for those and got them weighed too, Ginny is 3kg and Penguin only 2.75kg :Luv2: Though vet said they're both looking really good, just small cats. :) Wormed them all last night with no side effects either. (Drontal makes my dogs sick so i was a little wary!)

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 22:53:59 PM »
Vader has the Drontol XL. There's just more of him to love.  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »

They tell you to give one of each for a 10kg cat  :Crazy:

I tried this however I decided that as I really like having fingers (Pinball *hates* being wormed) that 1.5 Milbemax is much easier to give to him than an XL and a normal Drontal!

It didn't even occur to me re large breeds - I was just think of my lump Kylie being almost 7kg and wondering what het + 50% would look like  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
Willow was only 2.5kg and she used to get 1/2 Milbemax. I had a bad experience with Kylie foaming at the mouth with Drontal once and never used it again  :evillaugh:
I only use Milbemax now - It's a shame it is POM, although I still get 4 for the price of 3 from my vet.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:08:22 AM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 20:05:31 PM »
Its ok to split them BUT a split drontal tastes worse so you need to get it down in one go! I would also email vetuk and moan abit, you may get a refund or coupon.
I always complain to manufacturers when theres a prob with pouches and get coupons back  ;D

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 18:00:33 PM »
Beth: Can you stand on the scales whilst holding them and then again without them to get an idea of their weight?

I could... if i had any  :innocent: though 'tis a good idea, i'll see if i can borrow some from someone.

I know they are all tiny girls though, the "fosters" weighed in at the rescue vets at a grand total of 2.5kg each :Luv2: they have both put on a little weight since being with me, but not masses, and were already 18 months - 2 years old so haven't actually grown. Penguin is the smallest of the bunch, she still looks like a kitten compared to the others. :Luv:

Thanks all for the replies, i'll keep the ones i have and just portion them accordingly. :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 17:59:09 PM »
Blimey! is Riley really 6kg?!!! wow!  :wow:

Depends really, mine are all lightish,  Zeta is only 3.6 kg, Sam is less - mind you they are both older

Yep, I reckon it would be alright to split them too.

Yep, and skinny with it too! He's just ridiculously long/tall. I can't even hold him without his legs dangling down by my knees  :evillaugh:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 17:46:14 PM »
Beth: Can you stand on the scales whilst holding them and then again without them to get an idea of their weight?

They tell you to give one of each for a 10kg cat  :Crazy:

I tried this however I decided that as I really like having fingers (Pinball *hates* being wormed) that 1.5 Milbemax is much easier to give to him than an XL and a normal Drontal!

Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 17:35:36 PM »
XL one in half for my Riley-beast so I can hide it in some treats for him as although he is 6kg

I think 3kg is very light for a cat though and would guess they're at least 4kg each.

Blimey! is Riley really 6kg?!!! wow!  :wow:

Depends really, mine are all lightish,  Zeta is only 3.6 kg, Sam is less - mind you they are both older

Yep, I reckon it would be alright to split them too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 16:55:26 PM »
I looked at Noah and an XL has 50% more active ingredients in than a regular

As Helen says, a regular is for a 4kg+ cat and an XL is for a 6kg cat. They tell you to give one of each for a 10kg cat  :Crazy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 16:48:27 PM »
The Drontal XL treats 6kg of cat so if your girls are 3kg each then there shouldn't be a problem splitting it. I cut the XL one in half for my Riley-beast so I can hide it in some treats for him as although he is 6kg so needs an XL a whole one wouldn't go down well!

I think 3kg is very light for a cat though and would guess they're at least 4kg each.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Wormer Q - Drontal XL sent instead of normal
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
I placed an order with VetUK for wormers for all the cats and dogs, dog wormers are fine, but they've sent me drontal cat XL instead of the normal drontal cat. :doh: Mine are all pretty small female cats, not sure of exact weights, but below average i'd say. I'd prefer not to go through the hassle of returning them if i can help it, so i was wondering if anyone know's if it'd be okay to give them half an XL tablet instead?

If it's really not recommended i guess i'll have to get them exchanged, but it's just a bit of faff i'd rather avoid if i could. :innocent:

Link to CatChat