Author Topic: feeding my cat kitten food?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: feeding my cat kitten food?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:57 PM »
Ask your vet for a/d, its a stinky pate high in calories, i would also feed a more calorific dry like royal canin, they give energy info on their website  ;D
If she has a small appetite try feeding her little meals more often

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
great info thanks all! :briggin:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
I am wary of cat milk from supermarkets. Alice throws up when she has it (which is never now) and Clapton still gets the trots with it. Cimicat or Royal Canin milk would be best?

My cats have been fine with Whiskers and Felix.

thanks all, i will stick with the cat food. is cat or kitten milk better?

Again I would go for cat milk rather than kitten.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
thanks all, i will stick with the cat food. is cat or kitten milk better?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I am wary of cat milk from supermarkets. Alice throws up when she has it (which is never now) and Clapton still gets the trots with it. Cimicat or Royal Canin milk would be best?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:22 AM »
I wouldn't feed her kitten food either but a bit of cat milk may help to build her up a little (it did my cat Byron) although she is probablyjust always going to be petite.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline miafey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 23:18:47 PM »
I have a cat that is nearly two. She is very small and skinny. Blood tests have showed everything is normal. Do you think i could feed her kitten food as it is higher in fat and protein? Just to bulk her up. Also kitten milk? thanks.

Don't think it's a good idea. I read somewhere that you can't really feed your adult cat with kitten food or vice versa. Not only the percentage of fat and protein in the food are different, but adult food has something good and necessary for their urinary system but not good for the kitten when their bones are still growing.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 20:57:39 PM »
I'd speak to your vet about feeding her recovery food if you are really concerned. Although you can get it over the internet, the vets have a ready supply and you can buy the odd tin at a time to see if puss actually likes it. I really wouldn't mess around with anything not in the normal range of adult cat food without speaking to the vet first.  ;)

http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/8822/20254513kt

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 20:34:05 PM »
I wouldn't as the nutritional balance will be wrong for a full-grown cat. Once in a while it is fine but adult food is better to be fed all the time. Some cats are just small - My Willow was 2.5kg. As long as the vet is happy with her health, I would just carry on as long as she is eating well.

If she doesn't eat any dry food at the moment, some might help as it is high in calories. I would definitely stick to higher quality food, especially if she doesn't eat a lot. Hill's science plan is quite fattening.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 20:59:19 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline becky555

• Adult Cat
feeding my cat kitten food?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 20:27:44 PM »
I have a cat that is nearly two. She is very small and skinny. Blood tests have showed everything is normal. Do you think i could feed her kitten food as it is higher in fat and protein? Just to bulk her up. Also kitten milk? thanks.

Link to CatChat