Author Topic: Can someone please recommend a good scratching post?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Can someone please recommend a good scratching post?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 16:19:42 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with a fat boy post, its huge and is well used in our house.

We also have 2 from Argos which are okay but nothing special.

We also have a cat tree buts its not used for scratching more a leg up onto the window sill.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 16:01:59 PM »
I got a cat activity centre a few years ago from argos for about £30 its gor different platforms and loads of scratching posts on it and still going strong.

Quite supprised
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 15:52:32 PM »
Kalven and Russell Hardy do ones that seem to last forever - i have 5 Russell hardy ones and 2 Kalven ones -can highly recommend them.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 14:49:39 PM »
Not very up on Scratching posts but I do know that my cat wouldn't use a small one and continued to scratch my sofa but will use a larger stronger one, we bought one from PAH.  I placed it initially by the side of the sofa she was scratching with some catnip toys on it and encouraged her to use it, gradually I moved it from the sofa to the back of the room and she's never purposely scratched the sofa since.

you've just inspired me to move my cat tree to cover Tosker's favourite scratching place on the leather sofa - as I have a new one arriving soon - and he has already had a scratch on it

if it turns out to be that easy to deter him I shall be kicking myself for not moving it sooner >:(
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 14:37:35 PM »
I think you get what you pay for with scratching posts.  Try to get a wood one rather than a cardboard one if poss (the posts on most cheaper cat trees are cardboard wrapped in sisal).  I bought a ceiling high one from zooplus a few years ago and it snapped in half after a few months use.  The posts are also in worse condition after a couple of years than a more expensive post (I forget which make) which I bought when Jaffa was a kitten 12 years ago.  Having said that, zooplus cat trees are pretty good value for money as long as you dont expect them to last forever.  I would also avoid anything from there which has a platform or hammock hanging out to the side.  The one I bought had a hammock hanging sideways and that was what caused it to snap.  The weight of the cat was too much  for the cardboard posts and weak platic discs that connect them together.  Jaffa is a large cat but he's not overweight and weighs about 4.8kg.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 14:10:52 PM »
Zooplus in th elink at bottom of page do  loads and I have a big one

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 14:07:54 PM »
Both mine were from PAH but I think other members have bought some really good ones/fancy ones elsewhere, depends what type you are wanting really.  I just wanted a basic one but whatever you choose I would go for a strong, sturdy one.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 14:05:48 PM »
My lot like the Fat Boy scratching posts. They are fat and very sturdy, bit like my boys. So they stand up to some serious scratching and jumping on. I also have two of the cardboard scratchers that are like sofa's. Can't remember what they are called. They are expensive but my cats love them.

Offline BeckyLH

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 13:56:45 PM »
Thanks for that :) I'll go have a look in Pet's at Home and see what they've got :)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 13:33:23 PM »
Not very up on Scratching posts but I do know that my cat wouldn't use a small one and continued to scratch my sofa but will use a larger stronger one, we bought one from PAH.  I placed it initially by the side of the sofa she was scratching with some catnip toys on it and encouraged her to use it, gradually I moved it from the sofa to the back of the room and she's never purposely scratched the sofa since.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline BeckyLH

• Kitten
Can someone please recommend a good scratching post?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 13:27:34 PM »
Hi everyone :)

My kitten Layla is almost 9 months old and had a smallish scratching post from Pets at Home. She does use it still but has also taken a liking to the end of my new sofa. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good scratching post so I can try and train her to use it again?

Thanks,
Becky x

Link to CatChat