Author Topic: Help! Night time crazy  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Help! Night time crazy
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 16:01:40 PM »
Mimee sounds a bit like our Dinah. 

Dinah came to us last January aged about 1 year with 2 of her kittens aged 10 weeks.  She was a quiet and a devoted mother (even allowed another kitten -not hers- to suckle before she joined us)  She was speyed just before she arrived and was allowed out after about 1 month.  She is very affectionate and sweet with humans.

Dinah is however no longer at all keen on other cats including her 2 daughters who are now 11 months old.  She is also a terrible stop out and prolific huntress and we are only just sort of beginning to get used to her wanderings.  Not coming home for 18 hours or so happens frequently.  We hope MM is right about cats not wanting to stay out this time of year as Dinah hasn't played dirty stop out for a week or so. 

I'm concerned you might think homing another cat will stop her wanting to go out when I don't think that is likely to happen. 

By the way, our other 5 cats run riot throughout the night.  Cats are night creatures.  Sorry  :shy: 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 19:04:04 PM »
Shes living a second kitten hood and now letting her hair down!
Do you want to let her out at all? It sounds like its time for her and you'll probably find she will calm down once she has found out shes not missing anything. If you have had her a 5 weeks plus the time it took for her pregnancy plus rearing of kittens it all adds up, must feel like forever to her!
Not many cats want to be out at this time of year, i hope you will be pleasantly surprised by her reaction :hug: i would also say that keeping her in too long could make her keener to go once shes out there, the opposite of what you want, she sounds very settled and ready for the next stage of the adventure

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: EVIE AND BLUEBELLE
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 14:32:20 PM »
It might well be something she'll grow out of, or at least calm down once she's settled a bit more.  A month is no time at all, and she may still be getting used to having a fabulous home, and still be excited by all the things she can do  :Luv2:

My Bridge Baby Max was an absolute terror when I first got him, aged about 2.  He was a stray, and adapted well to being indoor only, but as soon as the lights went out, he just went nuts tearing around the flat, knocking all the cds and dvds off the shelf, we ended up having to lock him out of the lounge at night as he was causing chaos.   He did grow out of it though, once he became more settled, and once we started playing with him more to try and tire him out.

A playmate could also be another solution, as has already been suggested?

I think whatever the outcome, its still very early days, and you are obviously willing to try lots of option as well, so all I can say is hang in there  :hug:

Thanks for that, its comforting to hear that someone else has experienced the same thing. I was thinking about putting Mimee downstairs in the utility room at night and see how if being in a single room helps. Hopefully  I can get some unbroken sleep then.

I suppose coming up to five weeks is so not long, but all the CP cats I have had over a lot of years have settled well by this time. And also the vet and CP say she should be settling by now.

Anyway fingers crossed and thanks for your message, much appreciated  :)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 14:02:13 PM »
It might well be something she'll grow out of, or at least calm down once she's settled a bit more.  A month is no time at all, and she may still be getting used to having a fabulous home, and still be excited by all the things she can do  :Luv2:

My Bridge Baby Max was an absolute terror when I first got him, aged about 2.  He was a stray, and adapted well to being indoor only, but as soon as the lights went out, he just went nuts tearing around the flat, knocking all the cds and dvds off the shelf, we ended up having to lock him out of the lounge at night as he was causing chaos.   He did grow out of it though, once he became more settled, and once we started playing with him more to try and tire him out.

A playmate could also be another solution, as has already been suggested?

I think whatever the outcome, its still very early days, and you are obviously willing to try lots of option as well, so all I can say is hang in there  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 13:43:18 PM »
Same thing happens! I think I have only had five nights where she has not gone bonkers at night out of 35nights!  I have tried to remember what happened in those days leading up to the night time when she was ok and each day was different, otherwise I would carry on doing the same thing.

Well that is what I would do then. Make every day/evening different - have no routine (for the time being at least). I know with my own cat his crazy bedtime bounciness is formed out of habit and routine, everything is virtually the same each day both for my routine and his and he's very predictable. I think if you can break Mimee's routine and habit that would be key *hopefully*.

I will try anything, I don't want to give up on her because I love cats and she is lovely really just sooooo different to the years I have had cats for. But if I feel this is not right for her I will have to get in touch with the CP but would ask them to be really honest with any new owner about what she really is like and what she really needs. This was not the case for me when I got her, but with saying that she was in a pen and had 7 kittens to care for. I would also ask them to do a H-H adoption so she did not have to go through the situation of leaving here, going into another pen then to another new home.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 13:40:39 PM »
Top of this web page....click the shop botton  ;) really good lazers for a few pounds  ;D
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 13:38:32 PM »
Yes I have been told they are good, I will try anything. Where can I get one from?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 13:38:19 PM »
Same thing happens! I think I have only had five nights where she has not gone bonkers at night out of 35nights!  I have tried to remember what happened in those days leading up to the night time when she was ok and each day was different, otherwise I would carry on doing the same thing.

Well that is what I would do then. Make every day/evening different - have no routine (for the time being at least). I know with my own cat his crazy bedtime bounciness is formed out of habit and routine, everything is virtually the same each day both for my routine and his and he's very predictable. I think if you can break Mimee's routine and habit that would be key *hopefully*.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 13:36:30 PM »
I find a bit of lazer play before bed time wears mine out  ;)

Also another cat maybe a good idea, to give her someone to play with  :)

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 13:34:31 PM »
Yes I agree with you, it could be double trouble :Crazy:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 13:32:47 PM »
taking on another cat does run the risk though of having two cats rampaging around the house during the night :evillaugh:

I bet if it was really quiet at night now though you would be getting up to see if anything was wrong - that's how they train us up :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 13:31:14 PM »

Hay hoo, just have to give it longer, bless her!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 13:20:53 PM »
What happens if you don't play with her in the evening?  :scared:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 13:15:08 PM »
Taking on a kitten may well be your answer, sounds like this little lady loves the company of other cats too...No matter how much interaction, stimulation we provide nothing in my eyes can compare to another cat!  ;)

Edited to say "Obviously peeps do have only cats and they dont pose a problem" depends on the cat!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 13:16:34 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 13:12:15 PM »
When I took Mimee to me vet the other week they said perhaps they should have homed her with one of her kittens because her last one went on the week I collected her. Have thought about getting another kitten or cat to see if would like that?????? I did mention that to the CP when I got her and they said she would relish the time on her own now after having all those kittens.  Apparently she was a wonderful gentle Mum with them and never once got fed up with them even when she came back from the vets after being spayed.

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 13:08:17 PM »
I'm sorry it goes on all night. I think that would be drive me slightly potty.

I don't know what you've tried or the personality of Mimee, but would there be anything that would break the behaviour .. tiring her out with a Da Bird or feather on a stick. Maybe getting her attention with some dry food (if she eats that), or some temptations/dreamies. These usually work for my cat when I don't want him zooming around .. but he would eventually stop on his own  :(

Yes, I think it would drive anyone potty!

Personality wise, Mimee is very sweet and gentle, she has never bitten or clawed me. She seems to be very young in her personality and traits and loves to play, which is lovely. Whether she is making up for lost time, considering the CP thought that at 3 years old she had a litter of 7, she must have had previous litters. She does cap nap and then up again and quite restless.  I play with her at periods throughout the day and then again in the evening to try to get rid of that energy but its as though when bedtime and the lights go out and the house is quiet then it starts!!!!!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 13:02:29 PM »
Another good idea - but how would that stop a cat jumping over!!  They are such clever little poppets ......

Dont quote me on this but I have yet to see a cat fully jump over a fence, and the theory is that the cat cant grip the pipe! Obviously if there were anything in the garden you feel the cat could leap off and over then preferably move to a more central part of your garden!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 13:05:46 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 13:01:30 PM »
I'm sorry it goes on all night. I think that would be drive me slightly potty.

I don't know what you've tried or the personality of Mimee, but would there be anything that would break the behaviour .. tiring her out with a Da Bird or feather on a stick. Maybe getting her attention with some dry food (if she eats that), or some temptations/dreamies. These usually work for my cat when I don't want him zooming around .. but he would eventually stop on his own  :(

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Another good idea - but how would that stop a cat jumping over!!  They are such clever little poppets ......

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 12:53:45 PM »
4 inch circumference plastic drainpipe with a slot down to slide over the top of your fence!  ;)

Sorry I put Buzz instead of Baz

I have been called worse!  :evillaugh: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:58:42 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
Sorry I put Buzz instead of Baz

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
:heeee heeee: Mimee is a lovely name....I have a few MISS's in my house!  :innocent:

Are there many cats in your area? I think the perspex is a good idea....Just with any form of cat-proofing you can give it a tweak if ness to make it work better! If your gonna use the perspex on the theory that the cat cannot climb up you have to remember they can jump off things too!  ;)

Hi Buzz, yes there are quite a few.  At the other end of the road there are cats left out all night, and apparently one of the poor little cats got attacked by a fox, sadly did not make it through and the vets could not save her.

Yes, my idea did not take into account that they jump and jump well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have to think of a way round this?!

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »
I would leave her only  couple of stalking toys at night to pounce and kill - small furry mice I find best - it might at least concentrate her at ground level, and cut down on the jumping

you might also try taking her out on a harness and lead to see how keen she is to get out of the garden, and which direction she might favour if she were free

you might well find if you let her out at night you will stay awake worrying about her anyway, so I would rule that out - cats are in any case more likely to be killed on the road at night than during daylight hours

Thanks for your kind advice - her toys are all ground level but she jumps off furniture and window sills.  I have also tried the harness, that has been interesting, she hates it and will not come near me when she see's it now.

There is no way I would let any cat out at night.  I will persevere a little longer with her and assess the situ again............

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
 :heeee heeee: Mimee is a lovely name....I have a few MISS's in my house!  :innocent:

Are there many cats in your area? I think the perspex is a good idea....Just with any form of cat-proofing you can give it a tweak if ness to make it work better! If your gonna use the perspex on the theory that the cat cannot climb up you have to remember they can jump off things too!  ;)

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Im gonna put a linky up to give a bit of history.... ;)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27844.0.html#bot

Like I said though, she was probably only stray because of her urge for a mate and now she has been spayed that need to roam will be gone!  ;) :hug:

Thanks for that, have you noticed I have called her Mimee now and not stuck with the name Missy!!  Thought a sweeter name was in order even though she is a little MISS sometimes!! Tee Hee!!

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
is there any way you could cat proof the garden, mine have 24 hour access to the garden but only because I know they can't get out - I know none of them would be happy if they couldn't go outside

I am having my fence completely re-done at the end of the month, and have seen how people cat proof their garden ie brackets and netting coming into the garden at an angle. I have a small courtyard garden and that would make it look like Colditz. But I came up with a thought that might work - putting clear or coloured aryclic sheeting around the top 1/3rd of the fencing, so a cat can't attached her claws into it and it would not look unsightly but this would not stop other cats getting in then they can't get out!!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
I would leave her only  couple of stalking toys at night to pounce and kill - small furry mice I find best - it might at least concentrate her at ground level, and cut down on the jumping

you might also try taking her out on a harness and lead to see how keen she is to get out of the garden, and which direction she might favour if she were free

you might well find if you let her out at night you will stay awake worrying about her anyway, so I would rule that out - cats are in any case more likely to be killed on the road at night than during daylight hours
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
Im gonna put a linky up to give a bit of history.... ;)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27844.0.html#bot

Like I said though, she was probably only stray because of her urge for a mate and now she has been spayed that need to roam will be gone!  ;) :hug:

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
I'm no expert ( just owned by the 1 cat ), but nighttime craziness in my house is normal. Always at the same time with his zoomies, bouncing off furniture, yowling. I find it funny - but like I said here it's normal. Just a funny 5 minutes (which lasts about 10 minutes). My other animals get the zoomies too, so I think it's an animal thing!

How long does yours do it for? Is it all night?

Hi, I know a lot of cats do this but it goes on throughout the whole night with only a few breaks in between so at 3 o/clock in the morning it is getting a little bit draining!!

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »
Hi again,

I know how you feel about not wanting her to go out (I remember your last post!  :hug: ) but this lady seems to be showing serious signs of wanting to! I imagine you being nervous about it and worrying about her straying again....she was unspayed then so obviously roaming in search of a mate!

If you feel you cant cope with a cat that has outdoor needs (beyond the garden) then I seriously would get back in touch with CP as Im sure they would understand, also they may just have the perfect indoor more laid back type of babe there waiting!  ;)

Do you feel you could cope with letting her out? Did you try stimulating her through play?

Hi again! Thanks for your understanding. Yes, I am worried about letting her out because she was a stray and I just have a feeling about her, but she is lovely.

Mimee has scratching posts and a tunnel, toys etc and I do play with her throughout the day, so she has interaction and gets playtime and exercise.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
is there any way you could cat proof the garden, mine have 24 hour access to the garden but only because I know they can't get out - I know none of them would be happy if they couldn't go outside

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
I'm no expert ( just owned by the 1 cat ), but nighttime craziness in my house is normal. Always at the same time with his zoomies, bouncing off furniture, yowling. I find it funny - but like I said here it's normal. Just a funny 5 minutes (which lasts about 10 minutes). My other animals get the zoomies too, so I think it's an animal thing!

How long does yours do it for? Is it all night?

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
if you really think she needs a different home you should contact the cp she came from, I'm sure they will be able to help

She is a lovely natured cat so that is why it is so hard, they get in to your heart don't they

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
Hi again,

I know how you feel about not wanting her to go out (I remember your last post!  :hug: ) but this lady seems to be showing serious signs of wanting to! I imagine you being nervous about it and worrying about her straying again....she was unspayed then so obviously roaming in search of a mate!

If you feel you cant cope with a cat that has outdoor needs (beyond the garden) then I seriously would get back in touch with CP as Im sure they would understand, also they may just have the perfect indoor more laid back type of babe there waiting!  ;)

Do you feel you could cope with letting her out? Did you try stimulating her through play?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:21:54 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
Yes, I am thinking that myself. I too think she would love to hunt because of the way she is. When looking out of the window she goes mad sometimes when she sees a pigeon and the birds and often makes that crackling noise! 

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
Maybe she is restless through the night because she used to hunt during night time, with her being a stray? One of mine is a hunter and he will cause an uproar if he's not allowed out at night, usually with him ending up "picking" on my others.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
if you really think she needs a different home you should contact the cp she came from, I'm sure they will be able to help

Offline bucklesanbows

• Adult Cat
Help! Night time crazy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »
Hi, I have a cat from the CP who has been with me now for just over the month. She is called Mimee, 3yrs old and was taken in by one group as a stray then sent to another group where I adopted her from.  She had a litter of 7 kittens in May/June and they were all homed, the last one left the week I collected Mimee. Also she was spayed just before I collected her. I was told she was very very placid and a very sweet girl.

Having had cats all my life Mimee is sooooooo different to any of my other cats in the respect of being very very active and going bonkers at night - very restless, jumping around everywhere (she is 4.5kg so you can imagine when she jumps down on the wooden floors the loud noise). I do not let her in my bedroom now at night but has the run of the rest of the house. She did come into my bedroom first of all but this was a nightmare due to her being so restless and jumping around everywhere.

I am aware that cats are night creatures (none of my other cats have ever been like this) but her behaviour at night is really getting to me, and I think most people would find this quite difficult to deal with - the lack of sleep and interrupted sleep!!  She is a very friendly and a gentle cat and loves a stroke and always paddling, not a lap cat.

She has not been out yet (this is my choice) and shows very strong signs of wanting to get out, big time! I feel if I let her out at the moment she will venture off because she is so lively and of course she was taken in as a stray.  All my previous cats have preferred being indoors and only went into the garden as a necessity and never went out of the garden.

I am finding her behaviour at night a real problem and wonder why she is so restless - does anyone think she needs company at night, any thoughts and advice would very very welcome!! Because I have had cats all my life and love them, I am beginning to think she needs a different home environment - perhaps a busier household with a big garden and a cat flap that she can come and go as she pleases. We have to think of the cats own happiness and welfare before our own.

Look forward to any advice, thanks.

Link to CatChat