Author Topic: Broken pelvis.  (Read 4505 times)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Re: Broken pelvis.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 19:18:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kindness, I took her to be cremated yesterday in Royston and although it was obvious I was upset the staff were very kind and understanding. And in a strange sort of way it helped being there, Bigears is now back home in her favorite place....

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear this, RIP little one, another taken too young.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »
 :'( oh I'm so sorry Barney :hug:

Godbless Bigears, such a lovely girl who'll be sorely missed xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 20:45:16 PM »
RIP little one, I am so sorry x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 15:38:06 PM »
Oh Barney I am so so sorry to be reading the sad news about Bigears ... please accept me sincere condolences for your loss.

RIP Bigears .... much loved and sorely missed.  A very special little kitty.  Play hard at the bridge little one xxxxx

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 15:09:13 PM »
So so sorry Barney - thinking of you xxx

RIP beautiful girl - play hard at the Bridge sweetheart xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 13:15:10 PM »
Oh Barney  :'( :'( :'(  I'm so very sorry for your loss  :hug:  She was very beautiful.  RIP sweetheart

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
Barney, I'm so sorry for you loss. :( Bigears looked lovely. :RIP:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:16:23 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
I picked Bigears up from hospital this morning the night vet said she had a bad night and he had given her some more pain killers. Took her to my own vet Felix who confirmed my worst fears the pelvis had been broken in 4 places and the base of the tail had been disconnected, there was also internal tissue damage along with the nerves which although he could repair the bones he said she would always be in pain and would never regain the use of her back legs again. So sadly I had her put to sleep. I bought her as a flea infested kitten, from that day on she never had another flea again, she was a cat that loved to explore whether it be trees or an open cupboard, she hated the cat proof garden and would do her best to try and find a way out. Use to watch her sitting on the table outside checking every inch of the garden until she worked out that if she climbed a certain tree and walked to the end of the branch, bounce up and down to get enough momentum to leap the fence. It came as a shock to her when the tree had dissapeared one day. Before the new fencing went up she taught me about cats and collars when she came home one day with the so called safety collar midrift of her torso, she nor any of the other cats wore a collar again. I'll miss Bigears, I'll miss her chirps and her chattering away, I'll miss her tapping my eyelids with the softest of touches just as I'm about to go to sleep. Above all I'll just miss her presence.... thanks..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
First thing is to think positive,at this stage the vets can only look at xrays and guess the most likely outcome. Much of the problem is the ability to toilet because of nerve damage and it can take time for normal toileting to resume. The tail is the least of your worries cats adapt very well.
Recently Monica one of our feral had 4 fractures to her pelvis and had pulled one side right out,vets advised PTS but we decided to give her a chance, result 5 weeks cage rest and we were able to release her to the garden about a month ago,she will always have a slight limp but she is coping wonderfully.
We also have Olly who we rescued almost 2 years ago he needed his pelvis pinning together, 3 months cage rest and hes wonderful too.
Take each day at a time and I am sure the beautiful Bigears will soon be fine  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:07 AM »
Fingers crossed the x-rays today show there is no serious damage. Happy birthday little one
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:31:19 AM »
 :( Poor Bigears she is gorgeous  :Luv: and what a shock for you when have catproofed too  :hug: I guess she will be well-monitored at the vets and hopefully all will be well.  Please give her a gentle birthday hug from me and do let us know how things go xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 22:41:45 PM »
OMG she is gorgeous.  There have been several kitties on here who have suffered with broken pelvis.  At the moment it is probably too early for the vets to be able to give any definite outcome of the accident.  IF her tail is broken then she may need to have it amputed but that's not a big issue and cats quickly adjust to the lose.

Quite often when kitties break their pelvis they do have difficulty going to the toilet as the bruising and swelling makes it difficult for them .... however just because she is having difficult passing at the moment that doesn't mean once the swelling etc goes down she will not regain full control of her bladder again ... so don't let the vets rush you into making any quick decisions.  I'm sure now she is in the vetinary hospital you will be getting the best vetinary advice and Bigears will be getting the best care.

Take care and keep us posted.

Get well soon bigears  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 22:21:37 PM »
She is beautiful and i do hope there is a positive outcome at the vets, sending lots of positive vibes for her and  :hug: :hug: for you :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 22:17:43 PM »
She is gorgeous - sending lots of love and positive vibes for her speedy recovery xxx

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Broken pelvis.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 22:08:21 PM »
Whilst out at work today I received a telephone call from a local vet to say they had 'Bigears' (thank goodness for microchips) said she had been in a road accident, i asked them if they were sure as the garden was cat proofed they said yes, said she was OK but in a lot of pain. Said she might have a broken pelvis and paralysed tail, i went to collect her to take her to my own vets who confirmed the diagnosis, I then took her to a veterinary hospital where she is staying tonight being stabilised and tomorrow she will I guess have some xrays and whatever else is needed. I am getting mixed information about the likely outcome of this from 3 different vets one is saying the likely outcome will be to put her to sleep as she will have problems going to toilet etc, another said she might just need cage rest for a month or 2 and another said she will lose her tail. Although she hasn't lost any blood externally they cant be sure about internally. Her gums were very pale but she did calm down after i spent a couple of hours with her even her pupils started to get smaller not sure whether that was a good sign or not. I have now managed to find out how she got out which was underneath the fencing, either a fox or the cats dug it. Fortunately she's insured and was microchiped. Not sure what the outcome will be or quality of life as she is only a small cat not only that today is her birthday 4years old :scared: :scared:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat