Author Topic: In Desperate Need Of Some Advice Please Please Help  (Read 4040 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: In Desperate Need Of Some Advice Please Please Help
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 23:13:13 PM »
I have those drugs for helping me sleep, and I dont always like the effect on me,

Ditto. Was put on them for a muscular problem and when the course ran out I ended up crying for no apparant reason - I was unaware they were mild antidepressants too; had I known I wouldn't have used them.

beanie260904, I tend to agree with the others. See what the behaviouralist says first....after all, if they think it's a good idea you have the medication.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 19:23:04 PM »
I would definately go with seeing the behaviourist first, why use a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Has she had anything done to check her health eg urine analysis, xrays

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
I had them for a time when my thyroid was very overactive for anxiety and panic attacks and they helped me through that time, they relaxed me and they not addictive or anything, they are an antidepressant but can be used for many other things even headaches.  If you are concerned I would speak to your vet about it and your behaviourist, I know for people they often use them alongside counselling and it can work well so this is probably what your vet is thinking, good luck xx
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:33:28 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
I would be wary of using it before the behaviourist - I have those drugs for helping me sleep, and I dont always like the effect on me, I wouldnt put a cat on them.
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 01:05:14 AM »
Well believe it or not -the doctor gave me this to help me sleep !!!! :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 00:45:04 AM »
didnt know this was an antidepressant, thought it was used in schizophenia....... I agree that I would want to have the behaviorist in first.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 23:45:18 PM »
I didn't know they used amitriptyline for cats. I've just read up and it says that it can be used to treat feline lower urinary tract disease.

Sorry, I've never had a cat on antidepressants. Have you got an appointment with the behaviouralist?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 22:59:41 PM »
I think the only thing she could be depressed about are your parents !- cats can pick up when someone doesn''t like them - especially if they shout or shoo her away .

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 22:42:11 PM »
I took bambi to the vets today, they are referring her to a cat counsellor and are putting her on antidepressants (amitriptyline)
X

I'm surprised they've gone straight to antidepressants before she's actually seen the behaviourist. The behaviourist may well have been able to suggest ways of tackling this without resorting to drugs. If it was me I'd wait to see what the behaviorist said (and its possible she may ultimately recommend anti/dep drugs) - but not before exploring other ways to resolve the issues.

Offline beanie260904

• Adult Cat
  • Bambi My Little Baby
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 21:51:44 PM »
I took bambi to the vets today, they are referring her to a cat counsellor and are putting her on antidepressants (amitriptyline) I was so shocked when they said antidepressants, I think my jaw dropped, I said to the vet I do not know what she could possibly depressed about, but he said its just sometimes cats are upset easily. I mean I feel like a bad owner, if shes depressed thats hardly a good sign, but I spoil her rotten. I mean she has 3 scratching post, one which is absolotley massive by Kalven and she is an indoor cat so no other cat can bother her, I just do not know what could be upsetting her...

Also anyone who cat is on antidepressants any tips/advice would be great and also how well it works.

X
Jennifer x

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline beanie260904

• Adult Cat
  • Bambi My Little Baby
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 21:47:54 PM »
Thanks for all your advice it is greatly appreciated. I have tried feliway, but this was only for a month and I put in beside her litter tray rather than where she has been spraying.

I take it that was Feliway diffuser? the spray is better because it can actually target the exact areas she's sprayed/soiled, and it shouldnt be used near her tray because the areas you spray with Feliway are aimed at preventing her spraying/soiling - so she's getting confusing signals if you use it near her tray.

Hi

I agree with Gillian. The Felway is to reassure the cat that all is well so they do not need to spray/toilet in that area! Has her pooing everywhere coincided with you using the feliway near her tray?

Hi, no I do not think it has coincided as I used feliway about 4 months ago for a short period, and her pooing only started about 2-3 months ago.
Jennifer x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 17:27:03 PM »
Hope you get this sorted - i would move out if you can - parents are overrated in my opinion - especially if they don''t like cats / your friends etc.
Good luck .

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 17:04:06 PM »
Thanks for all your advice it is greatly appreciated. I have tried feliway, but this was only for a month and I put in beside her litter tray rather than where she has been spraying.

I take it that was Feliway diffuser? the spray is better because it can actually target the exact areas she's sprayed/soiled, and it shouldnt be used near her tray because the areas you spray with Feliway are aimed at preventing her spraying/soiling - so she's getting confusing signals if you use it near her tray.

Hi

I agree with Gillian. The Felway is to reassure the cat that all is well so they do not need to spray/toilet in that area! Has her pooing everywhere coincided with you using the feliway near her tray?
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 01:28:14 AM »
Another thing is to have two litter trays cos sometimes cats will not use one if its been used already.

I certainly agree with a trip to the vets and also wonder if she is stressed by your parents who sound like they dont like her much. Are they shouting at her or making her leave places that she wants to be, cos cats are also very good at punishing those who make their lives unhappy.

I do hope it works out OK  :hug:

Offline beanie260904

• Adult Cat
  • Bambi My Little Baby
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 00:04:36 AM »
Oh god lol, I had been using the feliway diffuser completely wrong, I will buy a refill and put it in the area she has been spraying, thank you for point this out x
Jennifer x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 23:30:20 PM »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 23:30:05 PM »
I have to say the only time I had a female spay, she was doing it to cover over other urine smells... are you sure your parent's doggies don't have the odd accident?  :shify:

Offline beanie260904

• Adult Cat
  • Bambi My Little Baby
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 23:11:16 PM »
Thanks for all your advice it is greatly appreciated. I have tried feliway, but this was only for a month and I put in beside her litter tray rather than where she has been spraying. I will deffinatley try moving her litter tray further from her food, as you never know it might be something simple like that, I will also buy her a new litter tray one with a roof as currently she just has a standard large tray.

I have cleaned all the areas thoroughly in the past but she kept repeating it so I bought a £15 bottle of 'Urine off' which is supposed to get rid of the smell entirely which I used today so fingers crossed for that.

When I first starting catching her she was deffinatley spraying, however, this was before she was neutered, now she has been neutered I have not fully caught her in the act so I am not sure if its physical or behavoural as I have always caught her just as she has finished.

Thank you for all the advice I will try out all your tips and hopefully the vets will have some ideas too...xxx
Jennifer x

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 23:06:54 PM »
Maybe even try some puppy training pads - I'm using some for Ebony (paralysed) and she uses then quite happily (not to mention one or two of mine :Crazy:)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 22:54:34 PM »
They drive you up the wall, don't they!  :tired:

To add to the already very good suggestions, have you tried different types of litter? Different locations for the tray? Is her food well away from the tray? Is her tray private enough? Have you tried Feliway?

Cats are very empathetic and pick up on friction. Maybe she's showing the symptoms of any distress you are feeling with your parents?   :innocent:

I can't say I don't feel for your parents. It's not nice having an animal defecate around the house. But fingers crossed they will learn to see it as a challenge and a problem to be overcome rather than dispensed with.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 22:48:31 PM »
I agree, vet visit is a good idea, just in case there is a medical reason first off. I presume you've cleaned the areas she's sprayed/soilded thoroughly so that theres no trace of smell left that might attract her back? Recommended is a solution of biological washing powder dissolved in water, followed by a spray of surgical spirit when dry. Once there are no traces of smell left, you could try Feliway spray in those areas (if you havent already) - you need to be consistent with Feliway spray though, making sure you top it up every day as recommended. Good luck at the vets anyway  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 22:45:39 PM »
Is she definitely spraying, which would be behavioural, or standing up when urinating, which would be physical?

does she have a covered litter tray? if not it might be worth trying, in case it is a privacy thing
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 22:33:29 PM »
The only thing to try is to limit her to your room so that she cannot physically make a mess n the rest of the house and allow her to go out when you are around to keep an eye on her so that you can grab her if she looks as though she is going to do something.
Alternatively, if you don't want to seperate her from the household get a dog cage and let her out after she has eaten and used her tray, again only letting her out when you can keep an eye on her.

Has anything n the house changed? any new visitors (human or otherwise) that might have set her off? new decorations? furniture? airfreshener? litter tray?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 22:26:58 PM »
The vet trip is a wise idea; ruling out a physical issue is always advised by a behaviouralist as the first step. Hope it helps.

Offline beanie260904

• Adult Cat
  • Bambi My Little Baby
In Desperate Need Of Some Advice Please Please Help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 22:10:01 PM »
As some of you might already know I have a gorgeous little cat called Bambi, she has had various health problems from day one of getting her and after thousands being spent she is on her way to getting much better, however, as I am a university student and live with my parents there has been some problems, Bambi is my cat I pay ALL her bills (insurance, special food, litter, everything basically) however, my parents today warned me that they want to get rid of her!!!!

The reason for this is its 'their' house and she keeps spraying and recently she has started pooing everywhere too, which has not got her in my mums best books (dog person) or my dads. She has been spraying for about 6 months (she is just over 1 year old now), she has been neutered, we have no other cats in the house, only two dogs who Bambi loves, Bambi is treated extremely well (by me and my sister anyway) but I cannot seem to stop her messing everywhere. I have tried everything...

My last resort is to take her to the vets tomorrow to see if they can find anything wrong with her and perhaps refer her to Vicky Halls the cat counsellor in order to possibly stop this problem. However, if that does not work I might have to move out as my parents will not put up with her messing for much longer and I love Bambi and I am not willing to let an animal suffer, as I believe if you buy an animal its for life not until it has a problem and then you just get rid of it, its not fair and I am so upset and anoid with my parents right now...

Any tips/advice to this problem would be greatly appreciated as I am in much need of an understanding person.
Jennifer x

Link to CatChat