Author Topic: Poo training for an older cat  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Re: Poo training for an older cat
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 22:07:07 PM »
Breaking News! Got home this morning and there are 2 poos in different trays and no poos on the floor! Hard to confirm whether one of said deposits belongs to Chilli but I'd say theres a good chance. I'll keep you updated but it may be solved (at least with the tray sat where she normally goes anyway). Heres hoping it carries on like this!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 19:29:29 PM »
As you are finding out, cats can be very particular about where they toilet.  They often don't like to wee and poo in the same tray.  Could that be the problem?  Korky likes a clean tray to poo in (but if he's desperate and he's already wee-ed he will dig for Australia then will poo right at the edge of the tray (or occasionally over the side).  Its easy enough to deal with if you have just the one cat and you're in all day but with more than one cat and a job to go to and I'm not quite sure how you can ensure that she always has a wee-free tray.
Maybe the fact that Amber will use either tray is inhibiting Chilli.  I once had a cat who deliberately spread her wee around every tray that I put down - it didn't matter how many I used, she would dive in there as soon as I put clean litter down and 'mark' each one of them.  My other cat gave up the fight and went outside to do the necessary so I went back to one tray.  

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 19:29:06 PM »
I would whip off a lid and see if that helps and i would try an extra tray of a different litter dont change more than one thing at a time as you wont know whats helping and what isnt

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 18:33:21 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you say the two are covered, this may be the problem,.and I would definately try a third without a cover and if it works re=evaluate the situation.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 18:07:07 PM »
you could try adult dog sized training ('puppy') pads next to the tray, then any misses won't damage the carpet. Because a poo requires (imho!) pre-poo digging in the tray first, have you changed the type of litter? She may not like the feel of your current one on her paws (?).

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
I'm not sure newspaper is a good idea as she digs to Australia before and after she goes, think it could make things more messy!

I'm less keen on the idea of a 3rd tray as the 2 we have are quite large covered efforts and I can't think where I'd put another one. We can't have trays in the bathrooms as the doors have to stay shut because Amber likes to stick her head down the toilet, our kitchen is tiny and I don't think it would be very hygenic to have one in there anyway and we already have the one in the hallway and the one in the front room (which is in the hallway at the moment over the favoured poo area, but I'd prefer it not to stay there as its very in the way!

I have left this morning with 2 clean trays (one of which I left her poo in overnight so it should have her scent). It doesn't hep that Amber isn't even slightly fussy about which tray she uses!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:23:17 AM »
Similar,

Hung in small squares in the bathroom is the best place for it?  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 00:46:07 AM »
sounds as if you have the same opinion of the press as me, Mark ;D
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 00:28:53 AM »
I think newspaper on the floor might be an invitation to pee on it?  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 23:26:32 PM »
is it worth trying with newspaper down where she poos? at least cleaning up would be easier
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 23:23:42 PM »
And sooner of later there will be some runny ones. My mum has the same problem with her cat pooing on the hallway runner. She bought a 2nd tray but she still does it now and again. Have you thought about trying a third tray as all the experts say one per cat + 1

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 22:10:23 PM »
I guess I'm glad its not just me, wierd thing is - she used to use the tray just fine. I have now put the second tray right on top of where she goes so we'll see what happens. Its right next to the other tray but then she normally goes right next to it anyway! This morning I saw her scratching in the tray after her wee, then she got out and started scratching the carpet to go for a poo, but she knows what she is doing isn't right as I came out of the kitchen and she dashed off. I went upstairs to sort the laundry, came down and there was the poo! Will update on the moving of the trays. Both are clean except for the most recent carpet poo having been moved into the one above her normal spot!

I did consider buying an offcut of carpet or asking if either parents had a spare bit to put over that end of the hal as its a rented flat and its already a possibility that we'll need to replace that bit of carpet when we leave!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 20:54:34 PM »
I really dont know Bryony, I have a cat thats never pooped in the tray and he's nearly 6  :-: Even when there was just him and his sister, he would wee in the tray and then go through to the kitchen and poo on the floor, he still does that to this day  :Crazy: He has stoped pooing in the bath tho, which is a good thing I suppose  :sick:

All I could suggest is, maybe put the other tray beside the one thats already there and buy a plastic mat to go underneath them to save the carpet.

There has even been a time when Ted (the floor pooper) has just walked into the living room and just pooped on the floor right infront of me, I was like what the... I couldn't believe my eyes  :rofl:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Poo training for an older cat
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 20:38:50 PM »
Chilli is now 1 and a half and she has stopped using the litter tray that she used to be happy sharing with her sister. I have bought another litter tray but she has kept going in the same place (carpet next to the original tray). She will quite happily wee in the original tray. Any tips of how I could retrain her would be great. I have put the most recent poo in the new tray to see if that helps.

Link to CatChat