Author Topic: Goodbye Dinah - Difficult decisions...  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Difficult decisions...
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 17:05:51 PM »
Best of luck at the vet, look forward to your update  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 14:16:24 PM »
Thanks Baggy, good luck for your appointment this evening

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 13:38:13 PM »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bloomin vets.....remember its your cat  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lots of luck tonight and love to Dinah  :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 13:26:40 PM »
Can you explain why her tummy has fluid from her therapy? When any of mine had fluids given to them be it IV or sub cut they have absorbed it normally, never stored it up so to speak so would find it interesting to know  :thanks:

One reason could be that the fluids overloaded her system, weren't being processed quickly enough and escaped into a body cavity instead. There's a bit on Tanya's CRF site: "Sometimes a CRF cat may develop problems with fluid retention, particularly if s/he is receiving too much fluid, either via IV or sub-QS, and/or has a heart problem. Fluid may collect in the lungs (pulmonary oedema), or around the lungs (pleural effusion) or in the abdomen (ascites)."
The other possible reason is that her kidneys have worsened and she's collecting fluid instead of processing it properly.

We rang the vet, they are reluctant to administer diuretics because they don't know what is causing the build up, and would like to see her again so she's going back tonight.  Our usual vet isn't on this evening...but has spoken to the one we're seeing  :Crazy:.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
Can you explain why her tummy has fluid from her therapy? When any of mine had fluids given to them be it IV or sub cut they have absorbed it normally, never stored it up so to speak so would find it interesting to know  :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »
No advice/experience, but I do hope you can talk to the vet about diuretics, I would have thought they were worth a go at the very least, just in case they can help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 00:33:20 AM »
Haven't got advise, but I'm glad that some of Dinah's ailment's are improving
but I'm sure your if you mention what Gillian has said to your vet he/she should be able to help
sending some healing vibes Dinah's way....oh, and Sam too !!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 23:46:44 PM »
I dont have ezperience like Gillian but I am sure that Dinah needs help and Gillian and her vet seem to have got this sorted for Sam.

I dont think she will be able to cope if she is exploding with fliud and it must be very uncomfortable and not dignified for a beautiful cat like her.

I would go down Gillians route if Franta was like that

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Difficult decisions - we've made the hardest one of all
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 23:38:26 PM »
Well, that's made me feel a bit more hopeful :thanks:. Sorry to hear about lovely Sam, though it sounds like he's doing ok and you've struck a good balance.

I'd have another chat with your vet about your concerns with the pressure on heart/lungs etc - I'd certainly not want to go down the draining route either, but if the fluid really needs to be removed, I'd have thought diuretics were the least worst method if you see what I mean?
I see exactly what you mean, and that's how we feel about it, I don't think she'd pull through the draining route.

We're calling the vet tomorrow to talk it through again.  She has definitely got bigger (she looks like a pear drop!), but if it's not going to do any harm we'll just let her be and watch her like a hawk for any more symptoms - otherwise hopefully the vet will suggest diuretics.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 21:07:40 PM by Baggy »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 22:48:45 PM »
Difficult I know,  :hug: I have Sam who has CRF but also has heart failure. He had fluid in his chest due to the heart failure which had to be drained off and he was then put on diuretics (20mg ever other day) and fortekor. This had to be increased to 3 consecutive days a few months ago when it looked like fluid was buiding up again (and vet wasnt keen to drain again - nor was I), which did the trick and then he went back to the every other day dose. The diuretics are kept at the lowest dose possible to prevent fluid build up again and  I now have him on half a 20mg dose every other day, which seems to be working.

I'd have another chat with your vet about your concerns with the pressure on heart/lungs etc - I'd certainly not want to go down the draining route either, but if the fluid really needs to be removed, I'd have thought diuretics were the least worst method if you see what I mean?

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Goodbye Dinah - Difficult decisions...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 22:23:44 PM »
Sorry folks, another new thread...

Dinah had IV fluids two weeks ago to help her CRF and flush her kidneys through.  She seems bright, is eating well, drinking less, the colitisy poos she was suffering from have settled, and she's still coming downstairs to spend time with us by the fire.  

BUT, she has a huge tum as a result of the IV fluids, obviously can't get comfortable, is finding moving round quite difficult as she's suddenly heavier, and is very quiet (she was very chatty before).  

The vet does not want to sedate her to remove the fluid (and says it will probably just come back), and is not keen on giving her a diuretic 'cos of her kidneys. They have said it's not painful, but her tum seems to be getting tighter so I can't believe it's not putting pressure on her heart and lungs.

Diuretics will not be good for her kidneys but if they improve her quality of life for a short time it might be a risk worth taking?

I don't think she's going to be with us very much longer, but she's still Dinah and she's not ready to go yet. Me and OH just want to make her as happy and comfortable as possible. We feel so frustrated and helpless, the CRF has progressed but seems stable again, and now if we can't remove the fluid think she's going to end up more poorly :(.

I know these are decisions that only we can make with the vet but it's coming up to two years since the Proot went to the Bridge and we're not coping very well this week...

(original thread here) http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21722.0.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:26:46 PM by Baggy »

Link to CatChat