Author Topic: OMG! WORMS!!  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: OMG! WORMS!!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 19:01:17 PM »
Sounds like roundworm to me.
I treat every 2 weeks upto 12 weeks then monthly til 6 months. Panacur can be used from 2 weeks of age (not that i think its much good) as kittens are most often infected through their mothers milk.

As larvae can hibernate she will need routine worming as at any point she could be reinfected even if she doesnt go out.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/info.html

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 15:05:34 PM »
When I got Alice she had been wormed at the fosters but I had to give her 3 or 4 doses of Milbemax at 2 weeks intervals to clears hers up  :sick:

Ahh, thats reassuring, at least it's not just poor Ginny! I'll bear in mind that it might take a few goes to rid her completely too.

One of our cats got worms when I was a kid.  You're right - they are   :sick:    :sick:

My Dad went to see the doctor for something else around the same time, and mentioned it, and he was given some sachets of blackcurranty stuff for us all to take, just in case.  I was about 8 at the time, which might have been why.

If you're concerned about your son, then ring your surgery - can't hurt to be on the safe side.

I'll mention it to the nurse next time i'm there as Indie is due some jabs anyway, i'm 95% sure he'll be fine as he's not been near any poops, but like you say, better to be safe.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 14:19:48 PM »
One of our cats got worms when I was a kid.  You're right - they are   :sick:    :sick:

My Dad went to see the doctor for something else around the same time, and mentioned it, and he was given some sachets of blackcurranty stuff for us all to take, just in case.  I was about 8 at the time, which might have been why.

If you're concerned about your son, then ring your surgery - can't hurt to be on the safe side.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 14:00:38 PM »
When I got Alice she had been wormed at the fosters but I had to give her 3 or 4 doses of Milbemax at 2 weeks intervals to clears hers up  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 13:55:55 PM »
I give mine Milbemax as they are tiny and easy to give. The vet recommends every 3 months. If your cats go in the garden, it is important to worm regularly as they can pick up eggs from the grass. You can also get a spot on wormer but it works out about £6 a go. Stronghold spot on flea treatment kills roundworms but not tapeworm. Worms can cause all kinds of health issues so really important to keep up with the worming. I read that if you get to the stage where you can actually see the worms, the cat has a really bad infestation.

She's not been outside at all, i've only had her a week. tbh i'm a bit shocked that she had them :shocked: her fosterer said she was due worming but she was inside there too so she must have been carrying them a while. :-:

I'm happy to stick with the milbemax as drontal makes my dogs sick, milbemax seems to be gentler on tummies.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 13:50:01 PM »
I give mine Milbemax as they are tiny and easy to give. The vet recommends every 3 months. If your cats go in the garden, it is important to worm regularly as they can pick up eggs from the grass. You can also get a spot on wormer but it works out about £6 a go. Stronghold spot on flea treatment kills roundworms but not tapeworm. Worms can cause all kinds of health issues so really important to keep up with the worming. I read that if you get to the stage where you can actually see the worms, the cat has a really bad infestation.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »
I use Drontal worming tablets, they're bigger than Milbemax and not palatable so have to be hidden in a treat or forcibly given but they're much cheaper and are also availabale without a prescription from VetUK etc

Here's what the Drontal website says about worming kittens...

http://www.stopwormsdead.co.uk/faqs.html

kittens are not born with worm larvae already present, so worming does not need to start until 6 weeks old, with further treatments every 3 weeks, until 4 months old. Thereafter, worming at 3 monthly intervals should be adopted.

Human health risks... http://www.stopwormsdead.co.uk/health-risks-for-people.html

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »
Sorry never had to deal with worms and to be honest I am a bit lax at worming them as none of them go out and well, I used to use supermarket stuff then everyone said that stuff was useless!!

So was there no symptons - she just pooed out some worms!!

that really is  :sick: :sick: :sick:

No symptoms at all, her poos up until worming looked perfectly normal, hasn't been sick, not licking at her bum, absolutely no symptoms, so when she pooed a wiggly thing i almost died. :shocked: :sick:

(Tbh i've always been a bit lax worming the dogs, as they've never had them either, but for the next few months i shall be on strict worm patrol :shify:)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
 :hug: I did read the post but mine have never had them to my knowlege so no experience unfortunately - I thought someone else maybe would have.  Glad you're getting her sorted now  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
Sorry never had to deal with worms and to be honest I am a bit lax at worming them as none of them go out and well, I used to use supermarket stuff then everyone said that stuff was useless!!

So was there no symptons - she just pooed out some worms!!

that really is  :sick: :sick: :sick:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »
Fat lot of good you lot are  ;) :P :evillaugh:

Just rang the vets and they said it is a one dose wormer, but have advised me to worm her again in two weeks just to be safe. I'll probably up the dogs worming to monthly for a little while just to be on the safe side, even though they've not really met, as i do NOT want a wormy infested house. :sick:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:25:10 AM by Beth »

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
OMG! WORMS!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
 :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I've had animals for yeas, but have been lucky so far and never had to deal with worms... well i wormed Ginny yesterday (just as a precaution i thought) and she did a poo las night with long curly things sticking out :scared: :sick: :sick: :sick: urgh i feel soooooo sick, i cope fine with most things, i am an expert tick remover :evillaugh: but worms just make me feel so ill. :scared: :sick: Of course Ginny kindly decided to sleep along side me all night with the bum end near my face :innocent: bless her!

So, she's been wormed with milbemax, but as i say i know nuffin' about worm infestations at all, so do wormers kill everything? eggs and all? So this one dose should rid her of them completely? If not when is the soonest i can give her another dose? I really don't want to be dealing with wormy poos again. :scared: :sick: Also do i need to be concerned about my son getting them? he's not been near any poo but he has been stroking her/sleeping next to her. Also which sort of worms does it sound like, i didn't take a close look but there was about 2.5 inches sticking out of he poo and it was very thin and curled up. :sick:

Help please!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:22:15 AM by Beth »

Link to CatChat