Author Topic: is it magic?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
Re: is it magic?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 23:23:28 PM »
well after all these years it was interesting to learn something new.  Milky has been in since it got dark and i havent heard one sneeze.  fingers crossed that thats the last of it.  Mouse also seems to be in the clear and fortunately none of the others seem to have picked up the cold which is very unusual indeed.  it's good to have a healthy household again  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 23:17:38 PM »
I have this frequently with Barney Rubble,the first time  i thought he was dying he would sneeze violently several times then start shaking his head and crying, i rushed him to the vets and just as we got there and im trying to explain to the vet out popped this great big peice of grass,now i know the signs to watch for
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
well i know Mouse hasnt been eating grass as he's not allowed out until his bits have been removed but i'm keeping a close eye on Milky.  so far he hasnt sneezed once since i got the last bit out.  it's no wonder he's been so moody about having his face touched.  tonight he's been really affectionate, right back to normal, rubbing his face all over me and purring like a mad'un.  in all my years of having cats i have never known this particular scenario.  now of course i know that it's quite a common occurence.  at the time i was so surprised that i couldnt for the life of me work out how it had got there.  once i got over the shock though it was pretty obvious and i couldnt believe it took me so long to work it out  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
I had the same thing with Summer a couple of months ago.  Please watch both kitties closely as about a week after I removed blade of grass from her nose she started sneezing, coughing and was generally not very well.  I took her to the vet and she thought she may have an infection and gave her a jab of antibiotics.  She was still not right a couple of days later and I took her back again, where she had exploratory surgery and more grass removed from under her soft palate (in her mouth).

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
is it magic?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 00:58:51 AM »
apologies if this becomes a ramble  :shy:

in the weeks leading up to xmas my cat Milky started sneezing.  ordinarily this wouldnt concern me over much but as i have a kitten who had a very poorly beginning i was keeping a close eye on developments.  usually Milky wouldnt let a simple sniffle stop him from going about his business but this time he seemed quite down.  he spent the week sleeping (and sneezing) in the wardrobe, only coming out to eat and use the kittens tray (very unlike him as he likes to be out all day).  none of the other ctas were showing any signs of catching his cold and on xmas day, after a particularly violent bout of sneezing, i discovered why.  he had what initially took to be a bit of snot hanging out of his nose so i grabbed a piece of kitchen roll and ended up pulling a 4 inch blade of grass out of his nose  :Crazy:.  as i'd felt some resistance and a snap i knew i hadnt got all of it so later in the evening i held him while my mum had a look (she has longer fingernails  ;)).  there was a little bit of grass visible so she gently pulled it and it slid out nice and easily, another 3 inches.  the next day he was fine, tail up and off out as normal.  however, he was still sneezing but nowhere near as much or as violently as before.  i assumed that his nose was maybe irritated (he wouldnt let me touch it) or that being so down had lowered his immune system and he'd picked up a cold.  this was reinforced by the fact that by now little Mouse was sneezing also (something i really didnt want to happen).  yesterday i was speaking to a friend whos rabbit was diagnosed with osteomyelitis.  the rabbit was on regular AB injections and the prognosis wasnt good.  after a few months my friend decided to stop the injections as the swelling in his face wasnt improving.  she started using echinacea drops in his water to boost his immune system and his recovery has been remakable.  she suggested that i try it on Mouse.  i was skeptical as i thought that echinacea was usually used as a preventitive measure rather than a cure and thought no more of it.

Mouse has been to the vet and is on ABs for any secondary infection and the cold hasn't affected his behaviour one bit.  he was eating as normal and running around with Merlin (my other kitten) like a loon.  this morning he was curled up next to me on the pillow and his snotty breathing woke me up, i felt so sorry for him i decided to do a bit of research into whether echinacea was safe for cats.  i couldn't find anything very helpful so i decided to search for cat people instead, hoping that somebody could give me an answer.  well i found this place and got quite distracted by the stories so i didnt notice that sometime during the day Mouse stopped snuffling.  however, Milky was struck by another violent episode and low and behold this evening i pulled another 4 inches of grass from his nose.  since then he has let me stroke the top of his nose without flinching and hasnt sneezed once.  2 little miracles on the same day i found this lovely little community.  is it magic?  ;)

Link to CatChat