Author Topic: Pill Poppers please - where to buy from?  (Read 9671 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Pill Poppers please - where to buy from?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 22:19:01 PM »
Hi,
I saw the pill popper with the rubber end on Swampys thread - is there anywhere that sells these apart from the vet ( whoever posted the pic) as my vet may not have those ones in .

Also does anyone use Virkson disinfectant ?

Its was me posted the pic - I got mine from the vets, I don't know where else you can get them, don't even know the make, must ask my vet. Its the best one I've ever used. With regard to disinfectant, I use Trigene because once the solution is made up, it lasts longer than Virkon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 19:28:53 PM »
Pill poppers are great for bitey cats, i dont like the 2 finger hole style, the one in this video has a soft rubbery end
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9900_cat-first-aid-health-pill-popper.htm

My vet stocks this style but massively overpriced!!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 16:14:40 PM »
We have the ones form the vet and also from the Cat gallery
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 15:06:44 PM »
Thanks everyone .
I had forgot about the old trick of using a syringe with water in too -put tablet in mouth and then the water - tried that this morning and it worked - until she gets wise to it  ;D . At least there is only one more day for her of the antibiotics.
I had forgotten as Smartie is so good with his tablets and yes, fortekor is well designed and he takes that ,no problem.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 13:45:29 PM »
For us, we can give pills by hand to Rufus but for Oscar we have to use a pill popper and as long as it's done right then it's very quick the cat hardly notices and the pill is swallowed with no problems at all. Can't recommend them highly enough for cats who are difficult to medicate. We got ours from our vets but I know that PAH do one although not quite as you have described but I'm sure it would do the trick. Alternatively if your vet doesn't have the one you want... pop into another local vets, I am sure they wouldn't mind selling one to you and more than likely will have the one you want. Your vet may even be able to order it for you.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Sorry dont know about the pill popper but definately agree with your last statement........and the more santetized everything is so people and animals when young do not meet up with various things, the more susceptable they are to getting ill cos they have not built up any immunity. Sometimes this can end up being very serious when they are older. I also suspect its another reason for so many allergies now.

All within reason of course  :shify: :shify:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
I use the pillpopper mostly for Swampy's steroids as they obviously taste vile and make him foam and drool if I don't get it just right (plus we lose quite a few tablets), but I use my fingers for the tiny pills or bigger ones. He doesn't mind it in the side of his mouth and very quickly shot down his throat - he always looks a bit startled though but I find it much better than giving those ones by hand. Mine's from the vet and is a Kruuse. It has a green "shooter" inlay, 2 finger handles (like on scissors) and is clear plastic. I'm pleased with it. But for his vivitonin which is minute, it doesn't grip as well and the maximum size of the tablet in the end isn't that big. You could email vet uk and ask them - they answer quite quickly usually. I'll say one thing for Fortekor and that it's a very well designed and genuinely easy to give pill.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
I have tried the pill popper but to be honest, I think the cats are more scared of them than fingers. Probably better to hide in a treat or a bit of ham or chicken if you can. If the cat struggles, I think they can scratch the back of the throat. Also not very easy to hold a cat and a pill popper at the same time  :evillaugh: As for Virkon, It is probably a good idea for rescues, vets and fosterers but don't think it is necessary if there aren't new cats coming in & out of the house, unless there is a bug going round. Very hot water, Domestos or a good Antibacterial spray like "bugs away" are fine I think. Others might disagree but in 6 years, we haven't had any problems. Bugs away is £1.50 in Wilkinsons and says it kills 99.999% of bacteria and viruses in under 60 seconds (Including MRSA) - also kills fungus. Unlike a lot of other disinfectants, it is also a sanitiser (breaks down grease like a detergent) - I am a big fan of it (Does it show?  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:52:56 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Pill Poppers please - where to buy from?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »
Hi,
I saw the pill popper with the rubber end on Swampys thread - is there anywhere that sells these apart from the vet ( whoever posted the pic) as my vet may not have those ones in .
Vet uk have one they say has a rubber end , but no picture.
I don''t have any problems with Smartie -poor boy is always on some sort of tablet and is on Fortekur and he just takes it every day no problems.
Sophie who is presently on antibiotics for upset tum is a nightmare - first couple of days has been fine , then she gets wise !!!- in the mouth , out the mouth , bits it, spits it oput , in again and she''s frothing and still trying to spit it out -then she hides and i have to find her for the next tablet ! She is on 2 a day , but luckily only tomorrow ans Monday to go - but its a real job now to get her from wherever she has hidden and then get the tablet down her.
The others are not quite as bad - but i think i will get one now and keep it to be on the safe side ! The boys are no- where as bad as the girls !!!!

Also does anyone use Virkson disinfectant ?
Been looking at buying some of that as they say it gets rid of all sorts of germs too - mind you , didn''t think i had any - but reading about Virkon makes you wonder , especially having more than a couple of cats !!
I am sure sometimes , the more things you find and read about - the more paranoid you get and think you need them all - or is that just me ??

Link to CatChat