Author Topic: Advice for a friend at work  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Re: Advice for a friend at work
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 14:09:04 PM »
They have been neutered, yes. The violence started as just a bit of hissing and growling but since it have moved on to contact and fur flying, she is starting to feel very guilty about putting pickles through all that.  Its mostly outside that the bullying is happening, she has tried keeping pickles indoors but she got very distressed and was pounding on the cat flap so she didn't think that was a very viable option.

I knew you had Kali back Lesley, but I didn't know about the other 3, what a shame! I think its awful that when marriages break up, the cats so often get turfed out rather than some sort of arrangement being made with one half of the couple.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 13:35:11 PM »
I assume they have all been neutered?  Even though all mine are neutered, Felix will still have a go at some of the girls sometimes (and you know what a softie he is).

Is there anywhere she can give Pickles a hiding place to get away from the boys, a nice igloo high on a cupboard or something, so she has somewhere to escape to when they get a bit over enthusiastic.

The vets would be a good idea for somewhere to put a poster.  My Vets often phone me when clients have lost a cat and are looking for a new companion and she can always ask the people who enquire to provide a vets reference.

If there weren't so many here I would offer to help out, but took Kali back the other day as she was apparently being really vicious (although she has been an angel since coming home) and have another three coming back tomorrow - the Coventry mum and two of her kittens - due to a marriage breakup >:(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »
Its times like this I wish I didn't live in a rented flat. If I had my own place, I would try Pickles with my girls in a flash. Her other cats are male and older so it could be she would get on fine with females her own age. Unfortunately I don't want to push it with the landlord as it took a bit of persuading to let me have the girls in the first place!

*Also I don't think the ad at the vets is such a bad thing, its just the ad thing in general. if there was no response from the vets, she may advertise elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:33:14 PM by Bryony84 »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
I had this with Lala for a couple of years, the older girls in the family would bully her.
It has taken a while but suddenly Lala started fighting back and now it has stopped.

I dunno what other people think but I would put a notice up in a vets, I think that is better than a shop window.
The other thing is CP or rescue but sadly there would probably be a long waiting list

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Advice for a friend at work
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:55 AM »
A friend at work has older cats and they are bullying her younger female cat. She is 1 year old and in a month or so has gone from being really outgoing to very shy and is constantly picked on by the other cats. She is worried about Pickles (the young female) getting injured as she has recently been finding her fur outside the back door.

She is seriously considering rehoming her for the cats sake but doesn't really know how to go about that. She mentioned putting an ad up at the vets or somewhere but I have tried to warn her off this course of action.

Link to CatChat