Author Topic: Dinah under the weather, any experience of stomach ulcers?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Dinah under the weather, any experience of stomach ulcers?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 21:41:10 PM »
 :thanks: Helen (and boys for head kisses!).
I'll talk to the vet.  It would be great if we could find something that she'll actually eat on her food - though she's such a fusspot that even tuna is deemed unacceptable sometimes  :shocked:.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Dinah under the weather, any experience of stomach ulcers?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 13:07:15 PM »
Poor Dinah, first things first please giver her a gentle head kiss from me and the boys  :care:

When Tiggy was having tummy troubles (vomiting clear 'spit'/nausea) I found that Slippery Elm bark really helped, it 'soothes and coats the stomach lining and intestinal walls and reduces irritation'. http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB

It's best to give it an hour or so either side of any other meds, I used to sprinkle a capsule on some tuna that I'd squeezed the juice out of then pour on a little warm water to dissolve it.  Alternatively you could mix it with a little beef paste or fish paste  :sick:

Obviously check with your vet first before trying it  ;D

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Dinah under the weather, any experience of stomach ulcers?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
About six weeks ago Dinah started vomiting every morning, and lost her appetite.  Vet tested her bloods - kidney levels still fine so not related to CRF.  She thought the long term steroid use for Dinah's skin allergy may have given her an ulcer  :(.

So, she had Antepsin every morning and evening (which she HATES) until the vomiting stopped and her appetite returned.  We've cut right back on the steroids, and she's a bit itchy but ok.  She was absolutely fine until she had half a steroid two weeks ago, since when she had been vomiting (again mostly in the mornings).

She is still eating, but is a bit droopy and starting to cringe away when we go near her 'cos she thinks we're going to give her the Antepsin  :'(.  The Antepsin doesn't seem as effective this time, either.

Does anyone have any experience of ulcers or suggestions for what might help?

If she hasn't improved in the next few days obviously we'll be going back to the vet.  It's such a shame as she has been doing so well up until now...

Link to CatChat