Author Topic: Lymph Glands  (Read 1087 times)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Re: Lymph Glands
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 22:16:52 PM »
It was the vet who mentioned the posibility of cancer along with a few other things. Barney is doing all the things he normally does and eats well, so I guess that over the coming week we will find out if there is a problem or not.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 20:31:04 PM »
No experience of anything similar, just wanted to say I have everything crossed for Barney - hope it's nothing too untoward  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 19:23:05 PM »
Lymph glands are there to clean the blood. If they are enlarged, it could be there is a latent infection there. It is the same when you have a heavy cold and your glands swell. It is most definitely not a sure fire indicator of cancer, although obviously it could be. But it would not be my first assumption.

Offline Linda D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 18:35:21 PM »
Just like humans, cats can get swollen glands from having to fight an infection.  I suspect that's the reason the vet suggested leaving puss for a week to see how it gets on.  Just because they are considering doing a biopsy doesn't automatically suggest puss has the Big C.  In a young cat the possibility is more remote than in an oldie

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Lymph Glands
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 17:45:19 PM »
Friday evening whilst giving all the cats their daily brush:Luv: I noticed on Barney's right leg that he had a series of lumps. Thinking that it may have been caused from when he jumps through the bushes  or a bee sting, I decided to leave it overnight, had another feel yesterday afternoon and it was still lumpy so decided to arrange a vets appointment for today. There was only a locum vet on duty, but he was really good in examining Barney. Then came the bad news Barney has the same condition in both back legs :scared: although to me it seemed that his left leg felt fine. His temperture was a little bit up, this was put down to driving him there and his weight is stable since his last visit.
The outcome of the visit was to leave it alone for a week but if after this period the lumps are still there he will need to be sedated for a biopsy to be carried out. Barney is only fourteen months old, so when the vet mentioned the word cancer my brain went into overdrive. Obviously no one knows anything for sure right now, but is there anything else that can cause the lymph glands to produce lumps and bumps and to act like this? Fortunately whatever it is, it has been caught early although it dosent make me feel very happy...

Link to CatChat