Author Topic: Spaying  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Spaying
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 20:21:43 PM »
Unneutered toms do get the jowly fat head look, doesnt affect the body size tho  ;D

as they can no longer gain access they seem to be spraying over the top of the fence

What an amusing image  :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
Sadly yes Ela, I do wish they would all follow guidelines - my vet does, but the receptionist doesn't always tell you that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
well, I think 4 personally

That is now the recommendation of Cats Protection, but as you know many vets insist on waiting until 6 months.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 02:19:49 AM »
I think the only growth that is affected in males and dont know about females is the size of their head and neck.

Misa has an enormous body but very small head which I think indicates that he was neutered young. If you see an unneutered adult tom they usuaually seem to have bigger heads and necks.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »
Well there will be no unplanned kittens in this house again, not unless Barney has an overnight miracle and grows what he's already had chopped off. I do however think young Spangles is either in season now or is about to as some of the locals are appearing on top of the fencing, as they can no longer gain access they seem to be spraying over the top of the fence. So at the moment she is confined to being indoors until I get her back to the vets..

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 18:00:26 PM »
having an unplanned litter of kittens is far more likely to affect growth than spaying at 6 months. My Sofie, a burmese, was spayed at 9 months and just kept on growing and growing and growing. All of mine (and there have been many) have been done at 6 months or so apart from her, and they too have grown normally.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
Yep, that was the Winn Foundation link I posted MM.
Spaying doesn't affect their growth, all cats are different. I have 4 females in the house, ranging from 2.5kg up to 3.7kg. Females do tend to be smaller than males though. Spaying at 6 months (well, I think 4 personally) can have health benefits when it comes to mammary cancer - if you spay them before their first season (which can happen as young as 4 months), then they are 200 times less likely to develop it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 17:10:36 PM »
Similar topic came up last week, il find the link.

I read a study that measured bone growth in cats that were neutered early, neutered at 6 months and those left entire. It didnt change how the cats developed  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 13:20:23 PM »
Spaying shouldn't effect their growth - it takes 3 sometimes 4+ years for a cat to reach their full size.

Some cats are small, some aren't.

We have two girls who are about the same size but look very tiny indeed compared to my boy cat.

Totally agree.

Cats come in all shapes and sizes, spaying/neutering should change the size they are going to be

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »
Spaying shouldn't effect their growth - it takes 3 sometimes 4+ years for a cat to reach their full size.

Some cats are small, some aren't.

We have two girls who are about the same size but look very tiny indeed compared to my boy cat.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Spaying
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:23 AM »
Might be a stupid question but does/can spaying a female cat at 6 months effect their natural growth rate? The reason I ask is young Spangles will soon  be due, she had a kitten pack purchased when I got her so it's already been paid for along with the chip. Bigears who I also got as a kitten is now 2 and was spayed at 6months is no larger than the day she had it done and the same goes for Toffee both female.  Where as Barney  who was neutered the same time as Toffee is what I would call a normal size cat. Mollie their mother is again what I would call a normal size cat. Or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Link to CatChat