Author Topic: panting and sickness!!  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: panting and sickness!!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:02:30 AM »
Ceporex Vet is a Broad spectrum antibiotic. Contains cephalexin.  NOTE that Ceporex Vet is the licensed veterinary product. It is now an offence to prescribe Ceporex (the cheaper human version).

The Tablets are indicated for oral antibiotic therapy in cats and dogs. Cefalexin is a broad spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic with bactericidal activity against a wide range of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. The following micro-organisms have been shown to be sensitive to cefalexin in vitro: Staphylococcus spp (including penicillin-resistant strains), Streptococcus spp, Corynebacterium spp, Pasteurella multocida, Escherichia coli, Micrococcus spp, Moraxella spp.

When susceptible organisms are present, the tablets may be effective in the treatment of infections of the respiratory tract, urogenital tract, the skin and localised infections in soft tissue. In dogs it may also be effective in the treatment of infections of the gastrointestinal tract. The recommended dose rate is 10 to 15 mg/kg bodyweight twice daily. The following is intended as a guide. Dogs 6 to 9 kg bodyweight: 2×50 mg tablets twice daily. 5 kg or less bodyweight: 1×50 mg tablet twice daily. Cats Average dose rate: 1×50 mg tablet twice daily. Treatment for five days is recommended. Any variation should be at the discretion of the prescribing veterinary surgeon, e.g. in cases where the condition requires an extended course of treatment (such as chronic pyoderma)..

The Tablets are well accepted by cats and dogs but may be crushed or added to food if necessary.

Info taken from here: http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3068-ceporex-vet-250mg-single-tablet.aspx
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:02:57 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 05:52:02 AM »
Hope Bolly is better today

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 23:19:43 PM »
A quick update ive had him to the vets and they think it is possibly a number of things from what ive told them they think it could be allergies (he has had on and of soft and solid motions) or possibly his kidneys, they also mentioned asthma and diabetes.

Does anyone know much about the Ceporex they are little pink tablets?

Hope his breathing continues to improve.  :hug: Those Ceporex tabs are really tiny arent they? Fiddly darn things  ;D My Lucy's had those because of possible infection causing rapid breathing and she was also on bronchodilators (they are the complete opposite and are dam great Smartie type tabs LOL!).

Offline bearess2002

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 21:29:25 PM »
Hi guys

A quick update ive had him to the vets and they think it is possibly a number of things from what ive told them they think it could be allergies (he has had on and of soft and solid motions) or possibly his kidneys, they also mentioned asthma and diabetes.
They have taken bloods to do a full blood profile on him and have given me 10days of ceporex and he wants to see him again in 10days time, they also gave him a steriod injection to help with the rapid breathing.
The bloods have come back incloncusive possible Asthma or slight infection but i need to see how he responds to the the tablets he has given Bolly which i will start tomorrow.
Bolly's breathing has improved and there has been no more sickness or panting.

Does anyone know much about the Ceporex they are little pink tablets?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 15:20:41 PM »
The panting you describe could be heaving before the throw up (retching)  - did you notice whether the movement came from her abdomen area.

If Bolly is otherwise healthy then put it down to a fuball. If it continues tomorrow then it might be worh taking him to a vet.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 14:58:01 PM »
Definitely get this checked. It could be something very serious, or something trivial. You won't know until he's had a check-up. Bella, a cat I used to have, did this when she had a tumour in her chest. But furballs cause similar symptoms. Good luck.  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 15:00:17 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 14:56:38 PM »
Hi Louise,

A few people on here have had panting cats - just use the search button.

This one is quite interesting:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,5198.40.html

Good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 14:54:50 PM »
Sorry can't offer any advice but I think you are wise to get him checked out by the vet. 

Sending lots of positive vibes that Bolly will be fine  :hug:  and please keep us informed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 14:46:10 PM »
No real advice I'm afraid but I would get it checked out to be on the safe side  :hug:

Offline bearess2002

• Adult Cat
panting and sickness!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 13:47:10 PM »
Hi guys

Im stressing a little here my cat Bolly has just been fast asleep in his hooded bed and for no reason he got up and started panting like a dog would, he then came over to me still panting and he was sick, he had brought up his brekkie from this morning and a hair ball but he was still panting afterwards, he then went and laid under the table looking and acting very subdued and breathing rapidly.
He has calmed down some what now but ive got him booked in at the vets later today to be safe but why would he do this. I have only ever sean a cat pant like he did when it was very stressed and he was far from stressed!

Am i worrying for nothing??
Any advice!!

Louise x

Link to CatChat