Author Topic: Night time foot attacks  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Night time foot attacks
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 22:09:43 PM »
What's all this .... attacking feet while you're in bed? Never heard of such a thing. How shocking  :rofl:

Only thing in our experience is to curl duvet under your feet or get scratched. Bad news is Freddie is 6 years old now and showing no signs of stopping  :scared:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 21:55:51 PM »
Zeratul was doing the same last night! My feet are ok 'cos i'm only 5' 4" but my OH is 6' 4" so his feet are forfeit!  :evillaugh:
He was in a playful mood from 6am this morning there was nose nipping, headbutts,purring in ears and jumping on mummy until I capitulated!

good thing is he doesn't mind if he gets shut out of the bedroom - so guess whats happening tonight!  :naughty:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 21:20:59 PM »
can you also grind back their teeth  :rofl: :rofl: smidgen does not limit himself to claws ....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 21:11:42 PM »
You could also clip their claws to take away the razor sharpness of the attack!  Riley doesn't go for feet but he's a 'paddler' so clipped claws are a must then I can sleep through it  :evillaugh:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 19:43:15 PM »
We've had that experience too. Our only method is to either both lie completely still, or move simultaneously so Xanthe doesn't know where to attack!  :rofl:

I did want to propose a catproof duvet on Dragon's Dens with a pocket at the bottom to hide feet in but OH laughed hysterically at me & told me to stop being ridiculous!  :innocent:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 17:49:29 PM »
I am with your OH on that. My feet are frequently left vulnerable and exposed and as a consequence i have permanent scratch-marks on them. OK unless they are a) on the soles of your feet or b) on a part of your foot that comes into frequent contact with a tight bit of shoe (ouch). Nothing you can do about it, and the only distraction therapies I have tried have just raised their hunting instincts higher so when the light goes off ..... pounce, Shriek, pain ... :doh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 15:22:49 PM »
I'm not fussed because I curl up and my feet are under the duvet, but OH has been getting too hot under the covers so I expect he's been kicking the covers off! I thought about putting a cat tree in the corner for them but theres not much room. They could go downstairs to play but just won't!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 14:47:58 PM »
We have it too but usually our feet are under the duvet so it has never hurt so I ahve to admit I'm not too fussed by it

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 14:31:42 PM »
I know from the couple of times they have done it to me, that it hurts too much not to move, especially when you were asleep. I'll get him to try thick socks, but I'm not sure that would stop the teeny sharp claws. I doubt he'll be up for wearing shoes to sleep, I don't think I would.

He did react though by putting them outside, so maybe I should try and persuade him not to do that.

I think the problem is this type of behaviour is attention seeking - they want to play. Playing with feet gets attention which in turn is a fun game for them. Doesn't matter that its not fun for you and your poor OH  :evillaugh: It becomes a battle of wills. Sometimes to break their willpower you have to do daft things yourself, such as wear shoes in bed.

If your OH's feet stick out too much and he doesn't want socks or anything how about putting a blanket over his feet. LOL or make him sleep the other way so his feet are at the headboard end  :rofl:

Oh and chances are if you crack this .. they will find another not so fun game to play  :naughty:

Ahh the joys of furry children.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 14:09:56 PM »
Maybe slippers?

Or what was it called, Lancre wool... (sorry, can't resist a Discworld mention!).

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 14:08:21 PM »
I know from the couple of times they have done it to me, that it hurts too much not to move, especially when you were asleep. I'll get him to try thick socks, but I'm not sure that would stop the teeny sharp claws. I doubt he'll be up for wearing shoes to sleep, I don't think I would.

He did react though by putting them outside, so maybe I should try and pursuade him not to do that.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
Yep ignoring is a must. Lexy knows she can wake me up because i moan at her when she starts to dash around the house at 4am.  Because I do she does it every morning without fail. If I ignore her, she stops shortly after she starts.

Its just like children. If it ain't fun, they ain't doin' it!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »
Also any attention whether it be positive or negative - ie acknowledging to them that is has been noticed will spur them on in thinking its a game. The best way to get them to try is stop is make it no fun, make it boring for them. To do this you have to 100% ignore them. No moving, no telling off, no poking, no removing of cats. If you let them get on with it and they find there is no reaction they will probably stop.

The suggestion of shoes (with no laces) or thick socks is fab. They can bite until their hearts are content and your OH won't feel any pain so he should be able to keep his feet still (I'd assume when they attack - he flinches his feet or moves them in some way .. it's that too which has to stop on his part, as that is part of their game).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
yup, one of my best games as well, especially if the feet aren't mine! Thats what pillows are for - to stop the laughter escaping! :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Fraid I agree...............they probably think its the best game ever!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
 :tired: I'd tell him to live with it.. or move out  :evillaugh:  no way about it, once they start, they aren't stopping  ;)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:04 AM »
Sounds like you need a longer bed!

Maybe over the weekend try getting him to lay in the bed with some shoes on and see if they attack.

If he's moving his feet once they attack or makes noises (i.e. swearing) they might think its a fun game.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »
Lol, he's not moving his feet, its just because he's too long for the bed, socks don't seem to make any difference. They've figured out to get to feet even when they ar tucked under the duvet now as well!

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
Wear really thick socks?

I honestly don't know except to be really still with your feet. Gizmo got my husbands feet at 6:30 am this morning.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Night time foot attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
Over the last 2 nights, my 2 cats have been launching a full assault on my OH's feet in the early hours of the morning. The first time it happened, he put them out of the bedroom and assumed it was a one off but they did exactly the same this morning and he really wasn't impressed.

Is there anything I can do to put them off doing it? It is quite painful as they have done it to me once or twice.

Link to CatChat