Author Topic: Crying in the middle of the night  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Crying in the middle of the night
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 21:14:02 PM »
 :evillaugh: I'm going to stick to being the mean meowmy on the board  :naughty:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 20:23:06 PM »
I agree with letting them in the bedroom. I mean, they are family aren't they ;D Mine are welcome to come and go to their hearts content. Occasionally Smidgen decides it is time to walk guard duty across me in the middle of the night, and of course the dog snores, and sometimes Smidgen decides the dog's bed is his so the dog has to lie across the door to the room but hey, it all works itself out in the long run. I do draw the line at litter trays and food in the bedroom. I manage not to eat in the bedroom, so can't see why the cats should do better than me.

Sometimes the dog brings a bone upstairs but this is usually removed as soon as I spot it simply because he guards it obsessively  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 19:28:32 PM »
Bryony, how lovely to see you posting normal moaning stuff at last, now you have them home  ;)

What can I say. Never tried keeping any of them outside the bedroom and am beginning to think we may be a little unusual. We have a litter tray in bedroom and OH brings an unopened pouch of felix, bowl and fork to bed so he doesn't have to bother going downstairs when Tom whacks him for a snack in the wee hours  :rofl:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 17:22:32 PM »
Well the cats have both been allowed in the bedroom all night for the last 2 nights and they've been a lot better, getting more sleep then we were with them shut outside anyway!!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 16:59:31 PM »
I don't mind the crying in the morning, I know thats because she knows its breakfast time. Its the 2am I object to. She does scratch at the carpet just outside the door too, which isn't a problem at the moment but its not a habit I'd encourage.

I was all ready to let them sleep in the bedroom at night when we got them, but they slept for about 2/3 hours and then were running around knocking things over, wriggling under the bed and making a lot of noise which kept waking us up. If there was some way of getting them to settle, I wouldn't mind them being in the bedroom but even with loads of playing and running after laser dots etc before bedtime, they are up at silly hours of the night.

For what its worth, I took Bubz into my bedroom because of her wailing. It took me a while to work out that playthings are a definitely a NO-NO in my bedroom, but once that had been clarified 98% of the nights since then have been quiet - leastways if Bubz is disturbing me I tell her to "Be Quiet" in my sleep! lol

Helen
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 15:48:17 PM »
They want their mummy  :'(

I don't know as I have never been able to exclude cats from my bedroom (or anywhere else  :evillaugh: )

Know the feeling Mark. Our litter trays are in the bathroom and LJ has been known to accompany me to use the facilities at the same time(!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sd123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 21:18:27 PM »
Darcy used to cry around 3am and come to wake us as he only wanted cuddles and to play.  This was seriously affecting our sleep and patience  :rofl:

Now we exhaust Darcy before we go to bed with one of those laser toys and lots of scruunched up bits of paper until he is gasping for air.  We then give them a few treats (only dry biccies) and shut the living room door (its a kitchen adn living room in one).

Both Darcy and Honi now sleep right through until their automatic feeder opens at 5am for morning munchies.

We do make sure though in the mornings when we get up that we fuss over them lots. 

They seem happy enough in this routine.  I also leave lots of 'safe' toys out for them - but nothing that can be destroyed or broken - they are only for supervised play :P

Mew

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 16:07:50 PM »
Mine are like that, they pretty much go everywhere with me. They are very needy which I think stems from whatever happened to them in the first 7 months of their lives. I guess thats why they don't like having the door shut.

I think that might just be a cat thing. Memph is very needy and doesn't like having the door shut .. he's just nosey and wants to find out what he's missing. I've know him since he was 3 weeks old .. he's just super clingy and nosey.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 16:05:24 PM »
Mine are like that, they pretty much go everywhere with me. They are very needy which I think stems from whatever happened to them in the first 7 months of their lives. I guess thats why they don't like having the door shut.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 15:52:55 PM »
I have an issue that if I let Memphis in I have to leave my door open (which I dislike as I don't like sleeping with it open) he just keeps going in out in out in out opening my door as wide as possible, harassing Mig - which in turn sets him off. Also he likes to jump on the bed monsters and eat my toes - which is not funny when I'm sleeping, he doesn't like to be disturbed when he is sleeping.

I'm with him from the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed (actually he's with me, as he follows me everywhere and settles where I do) so shutting him out the bedroom doesn't bother me.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 15:44:35 PM »
They don't seem to have a problem settling down, they just don't stay settled. I'll try putting some food down just before I go to bed and see if that helps as well.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 15:32:44 PM »
I've never locked ours out of the bedroom but sometimes I do get very tempted  :evillaugh:  If OH will agree, I'd leave the bedroom door open and they will settle down.  Mine start racing round for a few minutes when the lights go out but within half hour, they have all settled down.  The other thing that might help them settle is leaving them some biccies out.  I leave food down 24/7 for mine and do my final top up before getting into bed.  Good luck.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 15:29:36 PM »
I know it's hard but best to ignore them after you decide to go to sleep and they will soon get used to it  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 15:11:43 PM »
Well both OH and I have a day off work tomorrow so I'm going to suggest leaving the door open and see what happens. Maybe they will be sensible this time!

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 13:54:07 PM »
We had a problem with Henry crying in middle of night, at first we would get up check he had want he needed give him a quick cuddle then go back to bed. After 4 or 5 nights of this we got mean and left him. I know its sounds mean but after a night or 2 it stopped. I should add though that Henry thinks he is king of the world and rarely if ever comes for cuddles, if he wants some he just calls you over, so for us it was safe to assume that a snuggle was why he was crying in middle of night.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 13:23:14 PM »
We used to shut the cats in the hallway and kitchen and this did work for us, but after Jess was admitted into the vets we didn't have the heart to shut Milo out and since Jess has been home we stopped shutting them out.

Now when we go to bed the boys come up, Milo settles quite well and will sleep till around 4am, Jess occasionally sleeps with us or sometimes under the bed or he'll go off and do what he wants.

But at 5am EVERY DAY, Jess comes and sits on our headboard (bedsted) and waves his tail in my face, Milo walks up me and pats my face they do this till I wake up, if you ignore them Jess comes and sits on my chest and Milo will chase my feet I usuall cave in at 5:45am (alarm set for 6 anyway) this is at weekends as well.

The annoying this is having to stand over them whilst they eat before going back to bed at the weekends, oh well the joy of being a fur mummy,  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 13:01:51 PM »
They want their mummy  :'(

I don't know as I have never been able to exclude cats from my bedroom (or anywhere else  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
Took a very long time for Lirael to learn that when we go to bed she has to as well.

You learn to put away every possible thing that could make noise (they'll still find something) and just learn to cope.

Our boy Penguin on occasion goes around the house meowing at about 3 am, but again we've learned to cope ;)

Because they're in a new place it could take some time before they learn your schedule, and they may or may not adhere to it!

Current problem in our house is Lirael wanting in the bed (under the covers) at 6:30 am... the alarm is set for 6:45...

Maybe over the weekend let them in the bedroom and see what happens, they might settle! Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:57:48 PM by Sabrina (Auferstehen) »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »
I was all ready to let them sleep in the bedroom at night when we got them, but they slept for about 2/3 hours and then were running around knocking things over, wriggling under the bed and making a lot of noise which kept waking us up. If there was some way of getting them to settle, I wouldn't mind them being in the bedroom but even with loads of playing and running after laser dots etc before bedtime, they are up at silly hours of the night.

That is exactly what happened here, and why his Royal highness has been kicked out.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »
I don't mind the crying in the morning, I know thats because she knows its breakfast time. Its the 2am I object to. She does scratch at the carpet just outside the door too, which isn't a problem at the moment but its not a habit I'd encourage.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
It's a toughy. Is there any specific reason you aren't allowing them in the bedroom at night? Three out of my four cats will sleep on the bed quietly and wander off when they don't want to be there anymore.

(Old Mog cries sporadically anyway.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
At a guess it's because she wants attention or to come in the bedroom or telling you it's time to get up and feed her.

I've been battling against Memphis scratching at the door/carpet to get in that's easier to solve than the crying. I don't know how cats work - only thing I could suggest is mess up your routine in the mornings, change the alarm so get up varying time (not good for you I know) then change what you do before you feed them. I'm only guessing here.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Crying in the middle of the night
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
We got our 2 girls a few weeks ago now from a rescue centre. On the first night we had them home, we left the bedroom door open and they settled on the bed when we wet up but starting tearing round the place st 3am and we had to put them outside. Ever since, they have been allowed on the bed until we actually want to sleep and then they go outside. They seem to know now how it works because when we get up, they will go and sit in their bed outside our door.

The last couple of days, chilli has been wailing outside the door in the morning, I did think this was just because she could hear my alarm going off and knew it was nearly food time. Last night, she started doing it at about 2am, I went outside, checked their water and litter tray but no problems there, Amber was quite happily sleeping in the bed, I went back to bed and she carried on for ages and kept me awake. She started doing it again as normal when my alarm went off at 6.30.

Does anyone know why she's started doing this all of a sudden and if there is any way to stop it. OH was getting quite annoyed last night because we were both really tired and she woke him up too.

I know its only Chilli as they have quite different meows, hers is loud and quite pathetic/squeaky

Link to CatChat