Author Topic: dried cat food for advice please  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Bow1508

• Adult Cat
  • Mum to Fidget, Angel and Amy
Re: dried cat food for advice please
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 18:53:36 PM »
Lovely lady in a local pets hydro therapy place with a food shop attached gave me loads of samples, choice for the puppy looks very good but don't know if they do it for cats i shall see and royal canin lively seemed quite good but it's a bit of a minefield knowing what is any good for them and whats hidden. I am on a steep learning curve as they say.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 18:52:42 PM »
JWB senior doesn't contain glucosamine, I remembered to check. I dont have a JWB leaflet to hand, but it is for senior/light, so will help cats that are watching their weight (one of the reasons mine dont have purely senior food, they did lose a bit too much on purely senior last year). It does come in all 4 flavours, but might have to be specially ordered. Wet food is best to help with weight issues though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bow1508

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 17:03:13 PM »
Thank you very much. Was at vets at home today as my cats see the vet there as our local vet wont support to CPL but was a bit pre occupied as they are going to remove our Fidgets tail  :scared: Do these senior foods have extra protein? as Fidget has to watch his weight. Gosh this is all so complicated but it's about time I sorted this all out for the long term problems. Prevention is better than cure and the poor little mite has been through enough.
Thanks again
xx :Luv2:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »
As the others have said, JWB is a good food - senior food normally has glucosamine added, I know PAH does, and Sainsbury's own brand does - I can't remember about JWB, but I am going to buy some adult later, so will see if they have some senior that I can check out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bow1508

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
Thank you so much, I have trouble with Fidget and pills or any kind of oils, he is a little .......... and is very stubborn. At the moment i wouldn't attempt anything as he's only just touchable but the idea of the kibble is quite good. That way I can make sure who is getting what amount mixed in with their food. JWB was recommended as our angel has a problem with other foods erm they react badly and he has an embarrassing smelly problem! Even he moved when he makes a smell but since we put him on JWB he's been much better and I have to keep them all on the same or we have a bit of  " i'm having whats in his bowl "going on. They don't usually have wet food but at the moment I have to add drugs to Fidgets so he is having some whiskers so I can mix it up with the gravy stuff and we use it as a treat as they think it's great to get wet food. Still no tail movement at all but he's moving round the house and getting under everyones feet as he's fed up so he's laying in daft places and daring us to move him! Good job we have 2 loo's as he lays outside the door alot! Spending alot of time in the litter tray but i've checked (yuk) and there is no blood and he's doing all his business in there. Vet thinks he may have been kicked! God help anyone I catch doing that! It's not like we live in a rough area and it must have been close to home as he was only out for half an hour, okay i'm waffling again sorry.Just going to look at the zooplus link.
Thanks again  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 22:02:56 PM »
JWB is good.

There is always Orijen which has Salmon oil, Sunflower oil plus Glucosamine and Chondroitin

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/orijen/45156

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 21:57:57 PM »
Bow, if you want to introduce glucosamine into Fidget's diet to help his joints, there are a few ways you can try this - my Toby (who is 12) has arthritis and Glucosamine really does help him.

The bull-by-the-horns approach is to give Fidget a Glucosamine supplement. There are various forms of this, some of which can be put in the drinking water or sprinkled on / mixed with wet food. Unfortunately the problem with this is that some cats don't like stuff put on or in their food - as is the case with Toby. There is also a capsule version, which I use to pill Toby with and he does really well on it - it's made by Denes and is a mixture of Glucosamine and Green-Lipped Mussel extract.

Otherwise, if you don't wan't to go down the supplement road, Royal Canin do a dry kibble called Outdoor 30 which has glucosamine in it. I feed it to mine, but I mix it into their regular biscuits (Perfect Fit / Purina One) rather than feed it neat. It gives Toby just that little extra boost.

Hope this helps.  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 21:22:14 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I do hope Fidget is alright .

I am no food expert but always thought the JWB was good food.........why do you want him on a new food with those ingredients, does he also have wet food?

Offline Bow1508

• Adult Cat
dried cat food for advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 21:14:27 PM »
Hello there, as a first timer please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has already been covered elsewhere. I am mum to 3 cats, Angel who is 3, Amy is 2 and Fidget who is just over a year. All 3 are rescue cats. Fidget came to us after he was found in a flat after someone has taken his litter away from mum then gone on their holidays! only 2 were alive and sadly the other died not long after. he was so very tiny. he lived with my brother but they had a baby on the way and Fidget had a nasty tumble down the stairs and I think it all got too much so we took him. he has always had a problem with that leg but the vet said it was fine. then about 6 months ago he came home dragging his backend. The vet said he had been hit by a car. he had the ball part of the ball and socket joint of his hip removed and after a very worrying and expensive time he was up and around again, leaving the vet gob smacked! he could beleive he was walking let alone jumping but he was. Then the weekend the came home with his tail limp. What is ironic is he's the one who's a home body and doesn't go out much! The vet thought it was broken and needed removing but it turned out to be badly bruises. he's on drugs. rest and tlc. Okay I don't know why i've given you all this background but no one here understands why i worry so much about him being "only" a cat! I want to move him off the James Welbeloved and onlto something with more oils or glucosamine, excuse spelling, as he's had so much so young but don't know whats best. He wont take oils added and i've even tried human cod liver oil but he wont have it. Any siggestions welcomed.  :scared:

Link to CatChat