Author Topic: Cat Just diagnosed with FLUTD  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Cat Just diagnosed with FLUTD
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »
Wierd, you would think the urinary food would have been better, although I know the RC renal food can be used for one of the two types of stones/crystals.

You know I might have told you the wrong food, Jess is on Royal Canin diet feline Urinary S/O,

{link removed to supplier as they have let down rescue cats and Purrs will not support them}
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 15:11:43 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Wierd, you would think the urinary food would have been better, although I know the RC renal food can be used for one of the two types of stones/crystals.
Please spay your cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
Jess is on renal food so he increases his water intake, its salty so he drinks more and the kidneys process it faster and then he should empty his bladder more frequently.

Well in theory I'm not sure that his drinking more or that he wee's any more, but I'm happy to keep him on it.

The funny thing is now he won't touch other wet food or biscuits I dropped a couple of Milo's JWB this morning and he walked away he also doesn't try to steal Milo's food now its almost like he knows he shouldn't have it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:29 AM »
Leanne, why has your vet given Jess Renal food rather than Urinary food?
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 23:02:25 PM »
As regulars on here will know my Freddy suffers badly with this.

He is on RC urinary dry food, is he liking the dry food ? RC have a money back garentee that the cat will eat it and i must say i have never meet a cat who doesnt like it.
Its alot cheaper at www.vetuk.co.uk than at any vets.

Each time Freddy flares up i find Metacam works for him. We have tried antibiotics and steriods but they didnt work

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 19:38:35 PM »
If he doesnt like urinary food, and who can blame him, there are supplements available to alter his urine ph so he can have his normal diet.
Water turnover is really important (the urinary diets have higher salt content to increase thirst) so a wet diet would help him alot.

Leanne, if jess doesnt have crystals why does he need a special diet?  :-:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the number 2's, but what was he like before this episode?

And as long as his having "reasonable" sized wee's (hard to know what that is I know) and isn't straining or going far to freqently then I'm sure his fine, they are usually quite sore after being cathertised so it might be a bit sore for Sisco when he goes 

Offline bengalBaby

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 15:06:30 PM »
Sisco has started eating and im also adding some water to his food which seems to get him eating more of it. its been 3 days now since hes been home and he still hasnt done a number 2! is this normal? i know he didnt eat for about 5-6 days prior just a little concerned. he has now finished his anti b and anti inflam medication and i also went got some different flavored pouched foods for him via the vets. They want me to call tomorrow to let them know whats been happening, he hasnt really wee'ed much since being home but the few he has done are normal sized i suppose if there is a normal size :)
 He isnt in pain from what i can tell and very relaxed just spending th past 3 days in the bedroom with his tray, food, water and double bed all for himself!
Sisco did have alot of crystals apparently and vet said best option is this new diet for life.  :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:43:51 AM »
Fingers crossed for him - I would ask your vet about something called Cystaid, it is glucosamine based and helps the lining of the bladder, and helped my cat with cystitis - his was stress related. Good luck with the food, my vet doesn't give prescription food, just a completely wet diet, and extra water.
Please spay your cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »
Awww Vicky I know exactly where you are coming from, see my post entitled Jess is at the vets,

Jess has blocked twice in the past 3 weeks, his is stress related though there were no crystals or anything unusal in this urine or bloods.

Its awful, Jess has come round to eating the renal food, he wouldn't at first at the vets but he is now, I brought a water fountain to try and get him to drink more and its working,

Its such a great feeling when they do a big wee isn't it,

:hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:44:49 AM »
No advice to offer Vicky but I am sure there will be lots of people who have.  Just hope he is ok

Offline bengalBaby

• Kitten
Cat Just diagnosed with FLUTD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 23:25:37 PM »
Hello again

I have a 7 yr old Male DLH who was diagnosed with FLUTD over easter. He kept going to tray and nothing was happening, managed to get him to vets on easter sunday where she told me his bladder was the size of an apple! he went straight in and had catheter in and a flush out, spent 3 days on a drip but is finally home. He had Lots of crystals in his bladder which caused his blockage. the vet sent him home with R.C s/o dry and pouched food but he has hardly touched it. He managed his first big *wee* today and also ate some of the pouched food in his bowl when i poured some warm kettle water over it. he is still on anti b & anti inflammatry for few more days. I was wondering if there is ANYTHING anything at all that i can at least taint the food or ween him onto this new food with? i read on another board about some people using spring water from tuna tins to get them use to the new food via small quantity into there food?
Also he is now insured but wont cover this condition. not sure about his food insurance i still need to look into it. As long as he is comfortable and leads a happy life then i dont care what it costs. any advice greatly apprichated
thanks
vicky

Link to CatChat