Author Topic: Kitten Weening  (Read 1857 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Kitten Weening
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 19:26:40 PM »
and with all due respect, I would also consider 'ready' to include vaccinated (or at least having had their initial shots and being accompanied with a well -researched instruction sheet to new owners on the issues of vaccination, speying, diet etc....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 19:23:10 PM »
thank you all for the infomation.
Non of the kittens will be going anywhere untill they are ready and by that i mean fully weened. x :thanks:

Theres more to a kitten being ready than just eating solids. They get social and pyschological benefits from staying with their mother and siblings.

In regards to weaning trying make a soup of kitten meat and kitten milk  :sick:

Offline bengalBaby

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 15:01:57 PM »
thank you all for the infomation.
Non of the kittens will be going anywhere untill they are ready and by that i mean fully weened. x :thanks:

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 21:22:06 PM »
BC my Macey used to suckle from Ollie, from his neck or anywhere she would just suck him, he was her sucky cat lol

When I got Ollie he was not weaned, I had to crush kitten biscuits with warm boiled water and make a mush with it, this is what the vet told me to do. He soon got the hang and started eating kitten food.

Can I just say if you are a breeder you should know how to deal with these curcumstances before you start breeding, you should know everything there is to know about breeding and what could happen with the mother and kittens before getting into it.  :shy:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 13:36:39 PM »
I have to say that Smidgen, when he arrived was 16 weeks old, and had no compuntion whatsoever about suckling from Esther, me rescue cat who had recently been spayed having weaned the last of her own kittens, they had quite the family thing going until I realised what he was doing (the little horro!). Once Esther realised i was on her side it soon stopped, but he was more than happy to take advantage while he had the chance ..........

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 13:26:57 PM »
Hello BengalBaby  :welcome: to Purrs.

You have come to the right place to get information on this, however,  please do not remove these kittens from mum before they are older. They should be at least 12 weeks old so that they wean properly. In fact, pedigree breeders (reputable ones) will not home a kitten until they are 13 weeks old. This gives the kitten an opportunity to have it's two courses of vaccinations as well.

Might I ask, when you say last litter, does that mean you are now neutering her?

It would be great if you could post photos of your cats, we love to drool over them.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »
Can only go by the one experience of kittens for myself, but I just let nature take it's cause when my kittens were born. I kept reading and hearing that kittens can leave at 8 weeks, but they were still suckling of the mother at 13 weeks although they were also eating solids, which just seemed the natural thing to do. After all the mother didn't just wake up one morning and say "right 8 weeks is up now keep off me" OK she went a bit thin and lost weight, but she has certainly put the weight back on. Sometimes I think us humans interfere in the natural process a little bit too much..

Offline bengalBaby

• Kitten
Kitten Weening
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 23:17:01 PM »
 :shy: Hello, new to the board.
I have Two beautiful cats, One Domestic Long hair Male & Maincoon oriental bengal cross female.
My Bengal X recently had her second and last litter of babies 5 half weeks ago.  5 Boys, very large comparing them to previous litter. 3 have been tasting solids for almost 2 weeks & now rather eat solids then suckle from Mum. the last two are not remotley interested in food but have been lapping at the water bowl & all use the litter tray. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or food reccomendations for getting the other two started on food. They have all been reserved to rehome from 2nd week in april when there 8 weeks old, but i just want ot make sure there all fully weened etc before then. The 2 that are not weened were the last two born and one is the runt and othe other is the largest of them all. My Cat has not coped so good and the weight loss is very clear and worrying due to the lactating etc so we have decided not to breed her again. She is a brilliant mum and cares for her babies and has hardly left them in the 6 weeks.
Any help much apprichated.
vicky

Link to CatChat