Author Topic: Litter tray behaviour  (Read 1887 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Litter tray behaviour
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 13:43:27 PM »
Our Oliver came to us at 4 and half months old, and in the beginning he also did a not so complete covering job occasionally.  Now he is almost obsessed, he builds a mountain on one side of the tray, resulting in an avalanche spewing outside.... :shocked:  Thankfully poos stay inside, but there are sands all over usually around the tray, I am seriously considering putting a hood on top...

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 13:10:53 PM »
Jess doesn't bother with covering it properly, Milo however can dig for England and will spend ages scrapping every bit of litter into a heap to cover whatever his done.

I swear one day he'll dig down to Oz  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
We used to have a tray in the bedroom and Willow would dig for ages and we swore it was to annoy us - we moved it to the bathroom and she doesn't bother any more so we were right   :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
I find with the feral kittens, once they twig what a tray is, they are so bowled over with the idea they can spend hours digging out of sheer joy.  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:09 AM »
Hit and miss with Charlie, I too use food bags to pick it up and dispose of it

I have to say, I try to let it cool down first  :sick: - warm poo through a bag is  :sick: :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »
I think it's hilarious when they scratch the outside of the tray or the floor  :Crazy:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:15 AM »
Max normally covers his up, but sometimes not, doens't stop him trying to dig to Australia though  :evillaugh:

Maybe the litter needs to be deeper?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:49:47 AM »
Hit and miss with Charlie, I too use food bags to pick it up and dispose of it

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:12:15 AM »
10 minutes of scratching (usually the sides and door of her covered tray) and it's never been buried yet!  :evillaugh:
Such is life, at least it's always in the tray and easily removed

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 23:36:28 PM »
From my experience,  it's pot luck if it is covered. It's easier to take out if it's not covered anyway. I have huge food bags I tie it up in and bin straight away  :sick:
I have 4 and none of them cver it properly. Alice doesn't even try  :evillaugh:

Perfect ones are medium food bags from Wilkinsons - 10p for a bag of 20  ;D

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Litter tray behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 23:24:10 PM »
Just wondering if anybody else has come across this and how was the problem resolved. Young Spangles is roughly 4 months old now and to be honest she has been an excellent well behaved kitten, she did pee on some invoices I left on the floor (now in the hands of my accountant ;D) this has now stopped and she freely uses the litter trays as and when she wants. The problem is, is when she does a pooh and she tries to bury it, she never seems to manage it, the scraping and clawing goes on for up to 20 minutes with the end result being nothing is buried, she tries and tries after about 5 minutes I get up and bury it myself just for some peace and quiet ;D Now I don't have a vast amount of experience with kittens apart from the 6 that were born here last year and they all stayed here till they were 3 months old yet I don't remember this ever happening. It's not the end of the world and I'm not too worried about it, just wondering as to if it will sort itself out over time.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat