Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Advice please
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 06:23:13 AM »
That's good news.  You did well with him and I am sure he will soon be feeling better.  Hopefully he can soon get a new home and be the happy and loved little cat that he deserves to be.  Well done to you vet

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 22:40:49 PM »
Aww, glad that things are looking well for him, another one off the streets.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 22:35:38 PM »
That's good news that his eye problem will soon clear up and that, other than that, he's in good health.
He obviously knew that you would help him :)  :hug:
Your vet sounds a really lovely man.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 21:06:12 PM »
Took him to my vets this morning, vet said he was not much more than a year old as his teeth were really good although his eyes were poorly they would soon clear up with some medication. And a good shampoo and a few good brushing sessions would soon have him back to being a handsome cat, he even had one of the nurses arrange some accommodation in a rescue hopefully he will soon be re-homed and have a better life than the one he's been currently use to.
I offered to pay the vet for his time and medication, but he refused, I do like my vet. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 08:20:38 AM »
I can guarantee that they will not be getting involved, called them 3 times in the last year and I'm still waiting. Besides there is no televison crew waiting outside to film them in action :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:19 AM »
Good luck with him.
Please spay your cat

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 08:15:03 AM »
Good news, I've managed to trap him in a cat trap :evillaugh: He's not very happy at present and as it's been raining during the night he is soaked. Doesn't know yet that he has a vets appointment at 9am this morning, but therafter not really sure what will be happening to him, I just know he can't stay here as it will cause to much mayhem and it just isn't fair to my other cats, especially poor bigears as she has had a whole year of changes. So it looks like I'm going to be telephoning a lot of rescues today begging. Failing that he will be put up in my shed unfortunately there is no lighting or heating in there but at least he will be dry, but he definitely will not be walking the streets again :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »
I would be very wary of the RSPCA getting involved if the animal is older and/or sick as there is a good chance they will just PTS  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 00:39:12 AM »
I found a cat in a terrible state on my doorstep one day and then again the next, it looked awfully skinny so I put some food out and it came a few days in a row. I tried to catch it but it ran off, not being a cat owner at the time or knowing what to do I called the RSPCA as I live near one of their centres. They came and trapped it that night, seems it was very old, hungry and had been living as a stray. But my point is maybe someone other than CP can help

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 19:59:24 PM »
the cat I baby sat for two years had an incredible skill for identifying when I had designs on him. I did not even have to bring out the cat cage, for him to disappear. On the day I was planning to fly to Wellington and reunite him with his owner (the first time) he managed to disappear despite being reliably present at all other times. I held a taxi for half an hour wandering the street searching for him (little sod) and he turned up ten minutes after I left (little sod, again) according to my neighbours. some of them just seem to have extrasensory powers and can figure our intentions before we even begin to put them in action ... irritating, but true ... :(  :tired:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 19:53:19 PM »
Bless, he will come back

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 19:48:15 PM »
Oh how annoying, when I come home from work I always leave the back door open so all the cats can have a run around, I come upstairs and check emails etc. After this I went downstairs to feed my cats and guess who's lying on the sofa? Yep my new little friend with all my cats sitting their watching him ;D Anyway he took one look of me and bolted out the open door, tried to call him back making all kinds of pathetic noises to him like you do, but he was gone so he doesn't have any problems seeing where he's going. So at present I have just put some food out for him. I have a feeling he wants to be caught..

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 19:40:51 PM »
Glad you are getting some help with this poor cat.  Hope you manage to catch it and that it doesn't turn nasty. 

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 19:02:18 PM »
If he is difficult to medicate, tell the vet to keep him in there for the duration of the course. Glad that CP has come to the party, at least half way. Good on you for caring so much ...

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 18:58:51 PM »
Hi, well I have just spoken again to the cats protection in Hornchurch, who have agreed to pay for any medical treatment he needs but they cannot take him in at present. Although they have to put it to the committee first. The problem I have is (1) I need to catch him  ;D although  I do have a cat trap hopefully my cats will stay away from it or I'll have to keep them all indoors until this matter is resolved (2) The last time I picked up a stray cat it was me that ended up needing medical attention as it was a tough little  :censored: and ripped my arms  and hands to bits and wouldn't let go and ended up with me in agony for 24hrs. So if he needs constant eye drops I don't expect him to come running to me, to have this done. And to be quite honest after my last episode with a stray I am very wary about being bandaged up again.
Anyway  I'll just play it by ear at the moment and try and trap him, I've lived here three years now and have never seen him before until last week so I have a feeling he's just been dumped.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 18:42:22 PM »
What a beautiful kitty!!  Hope this gets sorted out.  Minnie's eyes were in a similar state when I first started feeding her - cleared up nicely with a few drops  ;D

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 18:10:25 PM »
Just to second what Mark says. Our branch of CP (Leeds) prioritise sick and injured cats and even if we can't take them into care straight away, we pay for vet treatment and put the cat on our waiting list. As long as the feeder is prepared to put food out once a day, many cats can be re-homed from being on the street.
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
I'm sure if CP realise he had bad eyes, they will sort him out. Our branch (Canterbury)  would never leave a sick cat to fend for itself. I know Dagenham as I grew up there - surely they must have priorities for sick cats - he must be really uncomfortable but something some drops can probably sort out in a few days. I had conjunctivitis once and wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially a poor cat  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
any luck on this ?   He is going to be a stunning lad once in full condition i think  :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 19:51:30 PM »
Bless he/she looks so neglected with the runny eyes and matted fur.  I hope you can get help with getting him to the vet and that someone soon can offer him a rescue place.  Good luck

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 15:24:47 PM »
If you are up for it, I would definitely get back to CP and suggest that they help you catch it and get it to the vet and that once it is discharged you can keep feeding it until a home is found. They should be willing to put it on their site and to vet potential owners, so all you have is the feeding and medicating if follow-up treatment is required (which it looks like will be the case). Hope you find a solution for the poor wee beast - he looks as if he has fallen on hard times indeed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 15:11:35 PM »
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/essex.html

List of rescues  ^  may be one in your area you didnt know about!  :luck:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 15:04:00 PM »
What a gorgeous cat !!  Quite a lovely rounded chunky face so I'm thinking hes a boy.  Doesnt look as if he has cataracts but he definately needs attention for those poor eyes as thats quite a lot of discharge poor thing.

I hope someone can help you to find more suitable arrangements for him.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 14:56:50 PM »
I have rang the local cats protection who say they cannot take on any more cats.

I understand that all rescues are full to bursting, but have you asked them if they can at least put the cat on their list of cats waiting to come in.  In these cases we pay for the cat to visit a vet immediately and then we can make the decision if it needs to be the next cat to come in or if we can ask the finder to feed it until we have room.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 14:55:25 PM »
Hi, I am in Dagenham / Hornchurch area. It's been about a week this cat has been coming into the garden. If I didn't have 5 other cats to deaL with I would take him/her in, but after all the hassle of last year with cats the house is just getting back to being normal again and I think it would be unfair to my 5 cats to bring another in right at this moment in time.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 14:32:09 PM »
What area are you in?
Please spay your cat

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 14:25:46 PM »
Hi I have a bit of a problem, it seems that another stray cat is coming into my garden. I have fed him/her a couple of times and I have no problems  with doing this as obviously he/she is hungry. Now my eyesight is not the best so I could not really see what sort of state the cat was in as I could not ever get close enough, although I knew it's fur coat was a bit manky and ifnothing else needed a good groom with a brush. Anyway this morning I took a couple of photographs while it was eating it's breakfast on the garden table. It appears that both of it's eyes are infected and the bottom of both eyes are a white blur as though they are cataracts? Also they are runny. Now it is very obvious to me that this cat needs urgent medical attention.
The problem is I am not a cat rescue and nor do I wish to be, I wnet through an enormous expense last year on a stray cat and I just cannot go through with all this again. I have rang the local cats protection who say they cannot take on any more cats. I want to find help for this cat but am banging my head against a brick wall. Although all my cats are all vacinated and up to date with their jabs I am also worried of any health issues with cross contamination. Anyway heres a pic of this cat and he/she seems to be quite nice and not aggressive to the others.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat