Author Topic: Thoughts and Advice Wanted !!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Thoughts and Advice Wanted !!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:05:38 AM »
Kocka who had real probs eating and could not put on weight ate ad diet for the last 3-4 yrs of her life, she also ate other miscellaneous foods when she wanted.

I always hoped to get a tin or as much of one a day into her if I could, and she would only eat it off my finger so it was a lot of work.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 23:58:09 PM »
Alice has had similar problems - bloody stools that look jellyish. After all kinds of tests, te vets are baffled. I have her on Eagle pack holistic food that is for sensitivity, also it has prebiotics and digestive enzymes. It has improved a lot but not gone completely but she is still eating regular wet food as well - for the simple reason that she doesn't eat much of the dry food and she has to eat - so I give her what she will eat.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 22:23:00 PM »
A/D can't be fed long term though, my vets wont let me have cats on it for more than a couple of days as it can be addictive. I wonder if one of the hypoallergenic dry's might work?
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 14:25:56 PM »
a/d is a good one for stuff like this. It is packed with essential calories and good stuff and is super easy on the tum in most cases. You could try and mix some with a little hot water to make it stinky  :sick: and more appealing. That'll help with hydration too.

If you want to keep her on a dry diet, Sensible33 is really good. It's fairly high in fat but not too bad and Smokey's not had a runny bot since he's been on it. You could perhapes get her body used to it by mushing it with some water.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 22:34:19 PM »
I would try her on plain cooked chicken for a few days, and perhaps a probiotic like lacto B http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1657 or tree barks powder http://www.dorwest.co.uk/ - its got the slippery elm in like melysion mentioned and it seems to be readily accepted sprinkled in the food. Then maybe try her on the meatier cat foods, like natures menu, bozita, almo etc if the dry doesnt agree with her.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 21:19:46 PM »
I don't know how relevant this is but Toby had a similar problem a while back and you can get prescription dry food from the vets that has just one protein source and one carbohydrate source that may help. You can also sprinkle slippery elm into the food - it helped Toby.

A cat shouldn't go without food for anymore than 48 hours (less if they are overweight) due to the risk of developing something called Fatty Liver disease. This is often fatal so be a little careful.

I hope your baby feels better soon. What did the vet say when you took her in?

EDIT: oops - just saw you were given special food from the vet already. Was it dry food?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 21:21:06 PM by melysion »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 20:53:05 PM »
yes, probably a good approach - I should point out I was not suggesting you should starve her for 3 weeks, simply that 7 hours is not a long time to go hungry ... there is a happy medium there that you have to strike  :rofl:

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 20:46:57 PM »
I can manage to with hold the dry as she will eat the wet eventually  I'm not too concerned with the food the vet gave me as she said if Mary wouldn't eat it i could take it back so better for her if shell eat it but not essential

I'm almost  convinced its her gulping down the dry thats the cause which is a bloody shame if i have to stop it all together I have tried all sorts of brands of dry and found some she really likes and was hoping to switch to dry all together. The only point i cant under stand is she fine with the dry before i took it off the menu

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 20:28:09 PM »
I seem to recall that Desley has often posted that cats should not go more than a few days without food and if they do other problems start to happen with their systems.

I would not purrsonally with hold food and know my Kocka was willing to starve rather than eat what she didnt like.

I dont thoink its got anything to do with being an adult , its to do with quality of life for a cat from their point of view. If they do not like the food they are eating and refuse to eat it , sometimes its better for them to have a better quality of life for a shorter time rather than a long life being miserable.

I would certainly check with the vet before doing anything.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 20:19:46 PM »
It takes more than three weeks for a cat to starve to death, so I would keep withholding food for her own good. I would also check with the vet. Bloody stools that are encased in a gelatinous liquid are not good. Take a sample with you when you go. And remember. You are the grown-up here - you know better than her what is good for her.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Thoughts and Advice Wanted !!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 20:02:59 PM »
OK I have had to take Mary to the vets because she has blood in and has runny stools The blood is almost jelly like

This all started when i started to give her dry food again which she was fine with before i with drew the dry for about a week so i could get her hungry enough to eat the food with medicine in i had to give her from having her teeth done
She was given a jab Fri i was given a paste in a syringe to give 3 times a day which i put in her food as she was under the bed until late mid day sat after the vets. I been feeding her tesco best pouches for the duration as it is the closest thing i could get to bland food as its basically normal chicken in jelly. 

I have have given her a little dry i think this was a mistake but shes meowing all the time for dry even though theirs wet down she normally loves esp the tesco best pouches , tins

She has just been i could hear the slurp plop noise from the living room runny and bloody still

Oh i was given special food as well by vet but she wouldn't touch it  and she was starving its all she was offed food wise  for about 7 hours

Link to CatChat