Author Topic: Liver/diets  (Read 1306 times)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Re: Liver/diets
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 18:20:17 PM »
Well I've just collected her this evening and they seem to believe it is a food allergy, but one of the vet nurses said that the kitten she adopted from me Toffee's sister has an allergy to Go Cat it appears to make her lips swell up. Anyway Toffee has to go back tomorrow evening for a check up and we'll have to take it from there. They did say they are thinking about dietry tests, but they can only do these tests if she is well..

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 14:36:36 PM »
I'm sorry I can't be of much help but if the vets say it's a dietry issue, could they mean a food allergy?  I have heard of cats that are allergic to the wheat and grain that most catfoods contain.  In fact, if it's the standard Whiskas you feed, then that only contains 4% of meat and the rest is grain.  I know you can get special food for cats with sensitive tummies. 
Hope they can get Toffee sorted for you.  She looks a darling.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
hope that Toffeee is back to health again real soon.    have the vets been able to shed any more light on what's going on?

:hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »
Sorry to hear about poor little Toffee.  Have no advice but wanted to wish you well and what a clever mom she has

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:17:06 AM »
Poor Toffee and poor you!. And what a clever mummy cat Mollie is. Dietary issues can affect one cat and not the others, it is more that the one cat is getting different results from the food. I expect Lynn or Em can provide useful advice for you. At this time of night though it is unlikely either will be on line. You could try sending a PM to Curlycatz and Lynn will be able to help I am sure.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Liver/diets
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:18 AM »
Hi nearly 2 months ago one of my kittens "Toffee" was being sick or wrenching every couple of minutes, so I took her to a local out of hours vets who cover for my normal vets. I really didn't feel comfortable with this vet as after asking him roughly what sort of costs I'd be looking at, his response was "well after I've finished chopping her up a bit, your looking at around £400 - £600" the money side of things was not an issue for me but his attitude was.
The following morning I took her to my own vets, who suggested an xray and that she would need to be sedated for this. It was also agreed that whilst she was under the anaesthetic she would be spayed as she was due to come in the following week for this and to much anaesthetic in a short period of time isn't too good either for them or us. Well I am always asked if I would like a premedical blood test carried out and I always have it carried out, although a bit dubious about what I am actualy paying for, as I want the best for my cats they get the best. Later that morning I recieved a telephone call from the vet saying Toffee was constipated and would need an enima, but during the premed test they discovered she had a liver infection so would not carry out the spay for a further 2 weeks. I collected Toffee in the afternoon and all was fine when I got her home.
A fortnight later I took her in for her spay, again I paid for the premed test and yet again it showed she had an infection with the liver, it was agreed that the spay go ahead, but they would also do a biopsy on her liver while she was out for the count, so where a normal spay is done on the females side in this case it was done via her tummy. But they could find nothing wrong with the liver and advised to keep an eye on her and when she comes back for her annual check to have another blood test carried out.
Now whether this is coincidence or not I do not know, but last night or rather the early hours of this morning Toffees mother Mollie jumped up onto the bed and started to bite the living daylights out of me and believe me it was painfull, after giving her some choice words and kicking her off the bed, she just kept waking me up and biteing me which is totally out of character for her. Eventually I shut her out the bedroom, when I got up later young Toffee was lying lifeless downstairs with her mum next to her. I picked her up and she she just threw up, I rushed her to the vets and they have said her white blood cells are either low or high bit much to take all in at the moment especially with what has happened recently, but they would keep her in overnight on a drip and give her some antibiotics. But they have said it may be a dietry issue. Now Toffee has what every other cat in the house has a sachet of whiskas meat or fish or sometimes I will give them sheba tuna as it looks more edible and they are not eating the same old boring meals day in day out. They also have access to dry food as well + fresh water and whiskas milk. None of the other cats or Barney the other kitten have any problems with the food. I know some people leave a plate of food on the floor all day for there cats till the food turns green, but mine is fresh every morning and evening if it is not eaten it is thrown away and the dishes washed.  Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat