Author Topic: Should we still get this cat?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Re: Should we still get this cat?
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 15:10:16 PM »
OOOOh Betsy - he's got those Dean Martin eyes..... :rofl:  Beautiful x
I know hes a real cutie pie isnt he ! :Luv:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 06:50:08 AM »
OOOOh Betsy - he's got those Dean Martin eyes..... :rofl:  Beautiful x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 21:13:52 PM »
Ahhh what a lovely boy  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 14:29:40 PM »
Wooohoo Betsy - so he's home!   :hi: Thomas.  Hope you're settling in well...

When my two were little I kept them in until they were 6 months and they'd been neutered.  Then it was much as BC says - letting them out for short periods, always with me hovering and fretting in the background... :rofl:

I agree cats are best kept in at night if you can.

Can't wait to see piccies of Thomas  ;D
Yes hes home and i love him !... will post piccies soon!..

Betsy and Thomas

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »

When my two were little I kept them in until they were 6 months and they'd been neutered.  Then it was much as BC says - letting them out for short periods, always with me hovering and fretting in the background... :rofl:

Yes hes home and i love him !... will post piccies soon!..

Betsy and Thomas

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 19:10:03 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 18:52:49 PM »
most cats will always be terrified of the hoover, so just keep him out of the room where you are cleaning.

As for introductions to the great outdoors. I generally take them out once they know me and their name. They will generally be in a rush to get out the door, but then will go into slow-motion, creeping mode, jumping at every sound and every new thing they encounter. I do it for about 10 minutes the first time, and for longer periods until they have been outdoors for half an hour supervised. If they have started taking themselves back into the house, then I leave them to it.

I prefer to make sure mine are in after dark cos that is when they are most at risk of car accidents...

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 18:36:11 PM »
Hello i thought i would update you all on my new cat !! His name is Thomas, and hes tabby and white, very friendly and a real softy. !  Still a bit unsure of the televison and doesnt like the hoover !  but hes settling in very well. 
Been told to keep him indoors for about 4 - 6 weeks until he know us. when the time does come for him to go out what is the best way about it ?  im a bit worried that he will get lost ! :scared:
Any advice would be appreciated !
Betsy and Thomas

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 22:10:20 PM »
Fab

remember and get the camera out when he's settled in  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »
Congratulations Betsy.  I hope when you get him home, you'll post some piccies of him and tell us what you've decided to call him - or if he's got a name already.  What colour is he?  Bet you can't wait.   ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 15:09:56 PM »
That's great news yiou've decided to take him on - let us know how he settles in, and pics too, of course! ;D Sounds like he's stolen your heart already :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 19:53:51 PM »
I appreciate that but some cats would never been homed if this service were not offered, therefore pens would be blocked up, it is unfair to keep a cat in a pen for a length of time and also we would still have the expense if the vet treatment on to of the food, litter, flea and worm treatments etc. We also find that once adopted many people do actually take  some if not all the cost on themselves anyway

I actually think its a good way of homing a cat with issues, i certainly dont agree with keeping pens of cats with ailments.
I commented because i wanted Betsy to find out her options and not to assume that all rescues are able to support cats post homing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 11:51:32 AM »
I am glad things are going to work out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »
we are hoping to collect him this week !.. Betsy X

I hope that you will stay with us on the forum and let us know how he gets on  ;D  What is his name?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
Sadly not all rescues can offer that back up

I appreciate that but some cats would never been homed if this service were not offered, therefore pens would be blocked up, it is unfair to keep a cat in a pen for a length of time and also we would still have the expense if the vet treatment on to of the food, litter, flea and worm treatments etc. We also find that once adopted many people do actually take  some if not all the cost on themselves anyway.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
 :morning:  Betsy

This is brilliant news, so glad that you are giving this puss a home

Looking forward to seeing pictures soon

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »
Sadly not all rescues can offer that back up  :(

Have you found out anymore from the rescue Betsy?
His eye is much better - thank you to everyone that has posted, and we are hoping to collect him this week !.. He will still need antibiotics but in tablet form and they have said that hes a greedy cat so their shouldnt be any problems in getting them down him .  Just got to keep him indoors for 4 - 6 weeks (cause hes a new cat and so that no dirt gets into his eyes)
Thanks to everyone for your advice
Betsy X
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 19:56:56 PM »
Sadly not all rescues can offer that back up  :(

Have you found out anymore from the rescue Betsy?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »
I would agree with
Don't take the cat because you feel sorry for him.
However, if you adopted a cat from us with a problem we would pay for life any vet fees (at our vets) for that condition. If the cost is a worry to you perhaps you could ask the rescue if they would pay for any problems resulting from the condition it now has.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 19:46:42 PM »
Just following on from the others posts, one thing you have to be sure of is the exact situation with the cat and its health.

I assume you will want to get your cat insured and therefore this will be a preexisting condtion, so you need to be sure you can cope with any medical carebills that may occur.  ;D

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 18:47:29 PM »
We adopted Oliver and Basil 2 months ago from a rescue and Ollie, age 3,  had an eye infection at the time. It turned out to be conjunctivitis and spread to both eyes. I too was concerned about getting a sickly cat, especially as he then developed an infection in his glands! The poor cat went to the vet 3 times in his first 2 weeks and, had to tolerate me giving him pills and eye drops. However, he has recovered well and does not seem to bear me a grudge so, if you like the cat, just go for it! Good luck.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 16:48:41 PM »
Dont take the cat because you feel sorry for him. Its important you feel you can cope with the possibility of future meds. The last thing you want is to struggle and have to return the cat.
I dont want to put you off just dont let your heart rule your head!

Get the rescue to clarify what has been done and the probability of any future issues. Another thing to think about is can you afford any treatments if the rescue isnt able to cover it. As insurance will not cover you.

Have either of you had cats before? Are you confident in medicating?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 16:14:46 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Betsy

I'd say that whatever cat you choose, s/he will need some sort of treatment sooner or later, just like all of us at one time or another.  CurlyCatz is right: can you ask the rescue what was wrong with this puss and what the vet says about the likelihood of its recurrence?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 15:38:52 PM »
If this cat has ongoing problems then he will need a caring home to help him.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 14:04:27 PM »
Personally if I had chosen a cat I would have already fallen in love with him so would have to bring him home and face any hurdles as and if they occured.  We never know what is round the corner and you could adopt a "healthy" cat and still have health problems.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 13:27:25 PM »
You need to get clear history on what has been done to the cat and what the vets expected prognosis is of the problem recurring and how likely it will be that you need to apply drops etc..it could be that he has solved the problem and by the time puss is ready to come home nothing more needs to be done,

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 13:01:10 PM »
I get the impression  Betsy that you're worried that you may not be able to cope with this cat, but, from my own experience, it's a lot easier if you have back up, here on this forum and in thw real world. The rescue that the cat comes from will probably be the best source of advice to start with, as they know the cat best, but stick around here for more, whatever cat you end up with.
A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have wanted an old cat with health problems, but now I've got Sonia I realise I was wrong. It may be, though, that I needed to get used to cats in general before taking on a "high maintenance" cat.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 14:20:27 PM by DaveD »

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
Thanks for your kind and helpful replys...  The cat is 4 years old.  just a bit worried that he will have various infections with his eye and that we will have to keep putting drops in for him .  not that we would mind doing this but he wont like us for it !!...  Still a little unsure whether to still go for him or get another one.  but hes really cute and fluffly !  :-:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »
It sounds as though puss has had Distichiasis (extra lashes growing where normally they should not be) or possibly ectopic cillia (lashes growing on the underside of the eyelid)

Mostly i've seen these treated with cryosurgery as the freezing destroys the hair follicle. (ok cant recall seeing it in a cat but enough in dogs..seen entropion a few times in the cat where the eyelid roll inwards towards the eyeball but this needs a surgical flap of skin removed and thus pulls the eyelids back to normal position...what you describe doesnt sound like that)

Personally non of the above conditions would put me off taking puss on if he was really who you felt drawn to.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
Good morning Betsy and  :welcome:  to Purrs

I am really pleased that you want to adopt a rescue cat, you do not say what age the cat is.  Dont know what the eye infection is but hopefully the eyelashes should grow back.  There are a couple of Vet nurses on here who could probably guess at this cat's condition more than I can along with some very experienced rescues.

Only you can decide whether you want to adopt the cat, I can still remember my first cat adopted from a rescue (Blackie) which was a really rewarding experience, he had a mouth infection.

:luck:  with this and look forward to seeing you posting
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Should we still get this cat?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
Hello everyone heres  the story !
A couple of weeks ago me and my husband decided to go and get our first cat from a rescue centre.  However the one we have chosen recently had his eyelashes removed and is now on antibiotics. So we cant have him until the vet says its ok for him to be rehomed which is fair enough.
However we are a little worried that his eye could get bad after a while and go infected?.. so our dilemma is should we still go ahead (when we can have him) and collect him and just hope that his eye doesnt get infected so we will have to keep taking him to the vets ! or do we go and choose another cat?? really need some advice as we dont know much about cats and eyes !  Help please !!   :scared:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat