Author Topic: Pregnant cat - lots of advice needed, please.  (Read 64319 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Pregnant cat - lots of advice needed, please.
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 16:27:12 PM »

Should I get some replacement milk and a cat bottle? Just in case, the vet didn't mention it but maybe I should?

Its not a bad idea, just incase!

Offline jo

• Adult Cat
  • Toby and Tom xx
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 15:37:09 PM »
Hi Karen,  My little cat just give birth not long ago,  she is very small for her age and i thought she would have problems.  When the time came she was scared as she didnt no what was happening,  just keep talking to her and she will be fine as it comes naturally to cats. good luck. x :Luv:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2007, 08:01:52 AM »
I've had more people tell me about their 'friend's, sister's, boyfriend's, grandmother's, best friend's cat' today. How they've rejected their babies, all been stillborn, had two heads, etc etc etc. I'm gonna have to start telling people to shut up, I think.

I know exactly what you mean, but that is life  isn't it? A bit like when you are pregnant, most people just say Oh! the pain when I had my xxxxxxxxx  and tell you all the gory details. I usually find  that many of these people had babies like shelling peas from a pod, yet the people who really did go through the mill and perhaps are lucky to be alive (me included) keep our gobs shut as we know that the experience is different for most people.

Yes it is a good idea to have a  box of Cimicat or something like that and at least a syringe, then if needed you could always get a cat bottle when the shops open.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 22:45:52 PM »
Haha, part of me just wants it over, and another part thinks nooooooo, can't cope with this!
I've had more people tell me about their 'friend's, sister's, boyfriend's, grandmother's, best friend's cat' today. How they've rejected their babies, all been stillborn, had two heads, etc etc etc. I'm gonna have to start telling people to shut up, I think.

Should I get some replacement milk and a cat bottle? Just in case, the vet didn't mention it but maybe I should?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 22:39:53 PM »
The suspense is killing me lol  ;D

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 22:02:03 PM »
Well nothing more as of yet. She's just acting normally. I'll keep you posted  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »
I think it sounds like she is getting ready to nest, so next day or so  ;D

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

I thought that myself in one, HappyKitty. There's one where the cat's on the floor with about 6 girls sat in a circle around her.

She's acting a bit strangely this morning. She's been meowing - but Jasmine's meow which is more picture than sound, just a little squeaky noise - and she's been scratching at the kitchen cupboard doors. Does this sound like she could be on her way?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »
I would go off her reactions - some mum cats want you with them all the time, and wont do anything unless you are in the room, so if she frets and wants to come out with you, then sit in there with her, if not, check every so often as hippy says.
Please spay your cat

Offline Brigid Siamese rescue

• Kitten
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2007, 01:56:19 AM »
Hello Karenjet.I have just had  a 9 month old Siamese rescue give birth to 4 kittens with no problems at all apart from being a bit puzzled about what to do with them for the first day but she seems to have worked it all out now.She had them under my bed and seems to have  decided that is where she will stay with them.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2007, 01:37:56 AM »
I had a quick look at some of the you tube vids. It seemed that there was too much interference from humans, and this was stressing the mother. The only cat I've had who has given birth while in my care did it in the bottom of a very large airing cupboard before I knew anything about it! I was very young at the time, she was my 'first' cat. When I came home from school there was a sign on the cupboard saying 'Do Not Disturb: Cat and Kittens'.
I would suggest that when your cat gives birth you leave her to get on with it. Look in on her every 15mins or so, but don't interfere unless there has been no progress for some time. Cats are good at birthing, and are natural mothers.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 00:13:07 AM »
Thank you, JackSpratt.

Oh God, I hope Jasmine's little pelvis is big enough for her babies. The vet said she wasn't too small, so I don't know.I have problems with my nerves and all this isn't doing them much good. 

Still no signs of labour, she seemed to be having trouble getting comfortable earlier but she's settled again now.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 00:04:52 AM »
Usually cats give birth fairly easily. Unlike human birth, where we have to push out an enormous head, kittens come in nice bullet-shaped packages, easily pushed through the birth canal. There can be problems if one becomes stuck due to the mother being too young and having an extremely small pelvis. This happened to Samantha (while she was still at the cat rescue). She was very young and her kittens got stuck, needing an emergency ceaser. I was told that her name came from the nurse who took care of her after the op. The main problem she had was that she didn't recognise the kittens as her kittens, so didn't initially mother them. Polly helped. She was a nervous feral who had spent her time raising kittens, but was picked on by the other cats at the rescue - Samantha defended her - so she helped Samantha wash and mother her kits until Sam got the idea.
It's unlikely you'll have such problems. Cats have easier births than us. They purr throughout it.
Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2007, 13:06:22 PM »
Karen, having never encountered a cat giving birth I won't be able to give much advice with regards to that matter. What I do want to say is well done for taking on this little one when she needed someone the most. She doesn't look especially old to me and it must be pretty scary for her.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
yes sorry Gill.
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2007, 12:40:25 PM »
Please peeps can we keep this thread on topic and that is Karens pregnant cat and advice, no outside isues cos the kittens are due anytime and karen is very worried cos she has never been in this situation before.

Thanks  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »
Ela: i cant believe people have the cheek to ring up the cpl and ask if they can help towards a medical emergency im sorry but thats taking the  :censored:  , if someone is on low inome then the pdsa are there to help with medical emergencys .

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 12:20:21 PM »
did all I could think of to make sure she was a stray

I am sure you did, however what i was trying to say is that many people feed what they may think  a stray for a long time, when if they found out for sure the cat could either be placed on a list of cats waiting to come in at a rescue and the very least neutered and spayed while it is on the waiting list so  the problem is not even bigger. Or the person keeping the stray has a neutered/spayed cat. Do you live in Northern Ireland? If so there is a Cats Protection and you should be able to get a voucher for the spay when the time comes
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:21:36 PM by Ela »

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
I did all I could think of to make sure she was a stray, asked round neighbours, rang the vets and checked the lost and found in the paper regularly.
We don't have PDSA over here so any treatment she might need I will have to pay for myself. I'm trying to do my best by this cat.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 09:06:59 AM »
I've got the vet's emergency number

And access to a load of cash just in case. I receive a number of phone calls each year about cats needing emergency ops. Some cost hundreds and if we think it is the owners irresponsibility that the cat got pregnant (you know the sort of thing unneutered tom and female in the same house, possible brother and sister or mum and son as they don't do that sort of thing do they, the owners are often gob smacked when I tell they do) we will only pay if we have the cat. The money we have is given for Cats Protection cats and therefore using it for owned cats could be seen as  a misappropriation of funds. (neuter/spay cost are different as that comes from a different fund). If the cat was taken in as a very pregnant stray and we feel it has a future at the home then things may be different and I can think of a way to work things out.

One Cesarean cost us over £400 due to complications and none of the kittens made it.
What made it annoying is that the cat was purposely allowed to get pregnant then the owner expected us to pay the bill. When you have not got the funds why on earth do people take these risks, well actually it is not them is it? Their cats life is the risk taker.

I appreciate the cat in this topic was a stray. However, I would advise anyone who thinks they are feeding a stray to make sure it is a stray and take the appropriate action ASAP. Suggestions how to do this are on my site (address below), obviously some of the telephone numbers will be different.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:01 AM »
Karen - as in humans, there isn't a set way things will happen - some cats have problems, others dont. Do have the number at hand to be on the safe side and fingers crossed she has no probs.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 02:49:11 AM »
Well aside from that birth, and another stillbirth, they were all just straightforward things. It's just the cat being in pain that got me, I'd really hate to see, and hear, Jasmine like that.
I've got the vet's emergency number in my phone still from when I had my dog.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2007, 02:10:38 AM »
I am sure everything will be Ok but you do need to have the vets emergency number to hand, just in case there is a problem.

From the other birth we had on here, well think it was on Cat Chat the site we all came from, the first kitten did not appear for some time and there was a big space betweeen all the kittens coming . So this will give you time to get logged on here and lets peeps know that she is giving birth and I am sure peeps with knowledge and some without will hang around to help you and give advice.

I believe most cats just know what to do but sometimes they need a bit of assistance.

I am sure what you have seen on videoes are the worst cases and not the best, so dont worry.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2007, 01:52:07 AM »
I've been watching videos of cats giving birth on you tube and have scared the  :censored: out of myself! Seems to be the cats having their first litters are in a terrible way. There was one where after an hour the kitten still wasn't out so the man had to pull them out for her. Is this rare?
Do any of you fancy popping across the water to be here when the time comes? I could be doing with it, my nerves are away here  :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
awwwwwww lovely pic
cant wait to c the pics of the kittens and hear all about them

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 23:22:09 PM »
Awwwww Karen what a beautiful pic  :Luv:

Can't wait to hear all about the kittens. Please give the gorgeous mum-to-be a gentle cuddle from me xx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 23:00:34 PM »
It's kinda weird! I thought at first it was just her food digesting or something, but it's definitely movements. Poor lil girl must be fed up of me feeling her belly!

Those babies having a party in her tummy aren't stopping her sleeping anyway...

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 22:40:39 PM »
awwwwww karen it must be lovely to feel the babies move inside of her

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 22:36:37 PM »
Not yet, Tan! But for the past two nights when she's been in bed with me I've been able to feel them move!  :wow:
There's no odd behaviour or anything yet. I'm as ready as I'll ever be for it. You'll all be the first to know!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 22:23:03 PM »
Any News on Jas KJ. Hows she doin?  :Luv:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 22:33:02 PM »
Well I really didn't think it'd be so cheap, I remember consulations for my dog being £7..something, but this was 10 odd years ago, and it had cost me £150 to have one of his teeth extracted not so long ago, so I didn't think that vet was cheap.

Congrats on your kitties, Kerri, was it her first litter? Jasmine never meows, I've only heard the tiniest squeak from her, usually in the mornings when I'm not fast enough at putting her food into her bowl, but I've been hearing alot that the cat tends to follow you around when she's in labour.

All being well I'm definitely gonna keep one of the kittens, Tan!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 21:53:19 PM »
Aww, I am glad that you have got her to the vets - it is a shame she is pregnant so young though, fingers crossed for her, some mums do struggle with being so young, some dont, you will just have to see how she adapts. I would start feeding her kitten food - it wont make the kittens too big, as she is due so soon, but it will help build her up in readiness to be feeding x number of kittens.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 21:38:11 PM »
Fantastic new s KJ  :yesss:

Soo glad shes in good health and you are her perminate slave  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  :Luv:

Cant wait to hear how she gets on with her little ones. Are ya still gonna keep one of the kittens?

:Luv: :Luv:

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 21:20:37 PM »
Hi karenjet my cat had kittens yesterday and all day she was meowing at us, following me ever where, so we put her in the box we made and she didn't want us to leave her (very strange) that night she had them in front of us, not before i thought she had a mouse in her month and had a panic attack  ;D ;D, but all was fine and she had three kittens.
good luck and keep us all updated
regards
Kerri

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 21:15:53 PM »
WELL DONE KAREN

That consultation was cheep mine are about twenty quid   :shify:

she sounds like shes in good nik for a stray , well done for keeping her

good luck and keep us informed

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 21:05:34 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have been reading up constantly on what to expect when the babies come. I think the biggest problem will be me panicking, because it doesn't take much to be honest. I was literally shaking all afternoon before taking her to the vet. It could either be the vet, or one of you great people, I'm sorry if I forgot who but my head's swimming here, said to keep an eye out for her mucus plug, and that I should know by her acting strangely that the time's come. I think I've gotten to know her little ways quite well now so I should know if there's something out of the ordinary. I'd really like to see them being born, but I understand most cats like to get on with things themselves.
I've got Yvonne's number, and know the chatroom's here, and I'll be very glad of you all. I am already  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
:D
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 20:25:33 PM »
Glad everything seems to be working out okay  :)

So lovely that you are so intent on keeping the little lady - I think all us cat lovers wish there were more people like you!

Look forward to seeing the kittens and mummy cat looks gorgeous!!  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 19:50:24 PM »
Wow thats great Karen, so pleased you got her in if they are due so soon  ;D

You know where we all are, and check the cats basket, when the kittens are coming cos we have stayed up to the early hours with one birth already and there are loads of helpful peeps like you found last night.

Hope that all goes well with Miss Jasmine and the kittens, and the vet sounds good  , so close amd soooooo cheap  ;D ;D

keep us up to date

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 19:45:45 PM »
Karen what great news ... so pleased Miss Jasmine is OK and has been checked over by the vet.

Can't wait to hear how it all goes with the birth ..... have you had chance to read up on what to expect etc and what to look for (I know you have had contact with some of the members privately - so I'm sure you have had lots of excellent advice from them).

All the best and big <<gentle>> hugs to Jasmine :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 18:46:11 PM »
What a day!
I rang the vet just before their 2 o'clock surgery to check for cancellations, and they told me to bring her in at 5. I don't think it was even a proper appointment but I'd said it was urgent, and had already rang at 9 to check for cancellations in their morning surgery.
Yeah, like I told Gill the next nearest vet is 8 miles away and I don't drive, this one is a 2 minute walk away.
But, anyway, get to the point! She's definitely pregnant, due in the next week, he said it's impossible to tell exactly but to expect them in the next week, fortnight maximum. He really put my mind at rest because he said there's no reason at all to think they'll be stillborn. Just like in any species they can be but there's no reason to think she'll be more likely. She's a small cat but not abnormally so, she's just going to be a slight cat. He estimated her being about 9 months old. He checked her all over and said she looks healthy. And thank God, he scanned her and she's not chipped, so I'm keeping her  ;D
He gave me worming tablets, but she has no sign of fleas. I told him I'd got kitten food to give to her today but he said to leave it now until after she's had them, because it would make the kittens very big.
I feel a bit guilty because the consultation only cost £8, if I'd thought it would be that little I could've taken her a while ago.
I think that was all, except to bring her in to be neutered 8 weeks after she's had them, and to bring her back if there are any problems. And also to set up a warm corner for her, and when the time comes to just let her get on with it.

Plus, she did soooo well, I was well-impressed with her, given what she's like with strangers. She was nervous and her hair all stood up when someone came in with a dog, but she was nice and quiet in the carrier.

So....the panic could start anytime!

I'd never thought Ireland wasn't fond of cats to be honest. And I have to admit I'd never been a huge cat lover myself. I didn't dislike them but  the only one we'd had was when I was little. But Miss Jasmine's a lil gem, I love her to bits!

Link to CatChat