Author Topic: Checking for Microchips  (Read 18973 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Checking for Microchips
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 21:18:30 PM »
I just read that in my emails Gill (link if anyone wants to look at it - http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17308)

They can't even get their typing right - In the title they got Protest wrong and 'countils in England'

They don't give a pooey and I am really annoyed.  They say they want to spend money on other things...................... oh I could go on and on but I'm sure we all know what Tossers they are.  It's about time the counils did something for the money we pay them.

I got a reminder for me to complete my election papers the other day, it said in capital letters - YOU MAY LOOSE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE - I'd rather vote in the X factor!!!  I've not voted for 2 years now because they are all as bad and I always used to moan about people that didn't vote and now I'm one of them.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 20:14:44 PM »
Dont think the EDM is gonna get very far cos here is the reply to the petition on the same subject grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tuesday 28 October 2008
Microchips - epetition response
We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to force Councils to Scan Dead cats for Microchips and contact their owners.”

Details of Petition:

“Currently, when a cat is found dead on the road - the countils in England and Wales send the refuse collectors to dispose of them. No attempt is made to contact the owners. We would like to force them to scan for Microchips and contact the pets owners.”

· Read the petition
· Petitions homepage

Read the Government’s response
The Government continues to support voluntary identification of pets - by micro chipping, tattooing or both - and having them registered on nationwide databases, but has no plans to make it compulsory.  Such a requirement would place an additional burden on a number of authorities which may well divert resources from other pressing problems.     

It would also be virtually impossible for a local authority, or indeed a normal veterinary practice or police station, to be stocked with all the microchip readers that they would need to read every possible microchip.  Although certain standards of microchip are recommended for use as part of the Pet Travel Scheme, the pet owner may use any microchip that is available.  This includes microchips that may be available in Africa, South America etc, i.e. microchips that the police, local authorities or a vet would not be expected to have a reader for.  Nor is there a national database for microchip numbers; at present, most manufacturers run databases only in support of their own product.

What a lot of tosh!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 15:06:36 PM »
When Bunty went missing I phoned the council here and was told that if they did pick up a cat they keep it in a freezer for a while to allow time for owners to phone them!   At the time I was shocked but releaved as no cat matching Bunty description was known by them but not too sure how I felt about the freezer thing!    I sobbed when I got off the phone though!   The man did tell me in the nicest way he possibly could.    When I asked about scanning for chips he said they didn't.

Offline Jayms_fallen_angel

• Adult Cat
    • Angels website
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 00:11:10 AM »
Signed
I am looking to adopt a cat/kitten in Sheffield.

Offline purrlover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 20:59:28 PM »
Signed

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 16:08:59 PM »
Signed

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 15:51:00 PM »
signed this too
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline roque122000

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 15:21:26 PM »
Some, well most councils are unbelieveable, I will certainly sign the petition.
Lynne,  I hope you find your obviously well loved cat Nancy. I know only to well the feeling of losing a cat, my boy Roque was missing for 3 days, it was a pure nightmare, I can't begin to imagine how you feel.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 20:46:17 PM »
Signed.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 23:15:21 PM »
I have tried to sign this on several occasions now and they say an email will be sent and i am not recieving one from them.
I have checked junk/spam folders and i never get the one to sign !?

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 20:43:34 PM »
signed

Offline a very sad lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Has anyone seen my Nancy?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 15:19:52 PM »
Well Mark all I can say in reply to your comment is,if it's contracted out to somebody else, I wouldn't hold my breath. Look how all the other services have gone down the pan since they started contracting out, hospital cleanliness etc. Bring back the matrons I say or give me the job for a month and I'd definitely "kick butt".
Nancy went missing on 25thMay from Llandudno Jct.Conwy,N.Wales.LL319LH.Nancy is 4 years old,has been spayed,was wearing a silvery/white collar.Nancy is a silver/grey/white tabby.I am offering a substantial reward for her safe return.Thanks,Lynne.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
Signed (waiting for confirmation email)

Sharon has managed to ge Canterbury Council to buy 9 scanners - let hope other councils take it up. The problem is, they contract out to Serco so how will they be sure it is done?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline shazd7

• Adult Cat
  • Teegro & Kolo
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 21:09:32 PM »
Signed - totally disgusting behaviour!!! Not sure what Fife Council policy is but prob just as  :censored: as everything else they do!!

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 17:11:51 PM »
Totally unacceptable behaviour from councils.

signed

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »
Signed

What do we pay our Council Tax for?  >:( Portsmouth rates went up 5% this year. It's all that  :censored: Spinnaker Tower ( all Portsmouth residents pay £120 a year towards that piece of  :censored: :censored:, not serving their residents.

Besides whenever I go to the local tip all the workers are standing round gossiping or giving people evil looks  ;). Pull your fingers out guys, people love their pets, how would they feel if it was thier animal?

Offline a very sad lynne

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 20:56:17 PM »
All I can say is that if I they had my Nancy and wouldn't let me take her home and bury her in my garden,they'd have to try to physically drag me off their premises kicking and screaming or I would never give them a minute's peace and I would get onto all the powers that be and take matters into my own hands.God knows they screw us enough every year for our rates but I would flatly refuse to pay them even if it meant me going to prison as nobody on this earth would get away with not allowing me to have my Nancy back so that I could give her a decent burial and I mean that wholeheartedly. Please come home to me Nancy because not a single day goes by when I don't cry for you and I still desperately miss you and your demanding miaows.
Nancy went missing on 25thMay from Llandudno Jct.Conwy,N.Wales.LL319LH.Nancy is 4 years old,has been spayed,was wearing a silvery/white collar.Nancy is a silver/grey/white tabby.I am offering a substantial reward for her safe return.Thanks,Lynne.

Offline faye at pawprints

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
    • pawprints animal rescue
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 20:28:10 PM »
hi,
someone recently contacted me about their missing cat who had a collar and ID discs on. casper was collected by the council after an RTA, but the council did not phone the owners to tell them. luckily they eventually got someone understanding and were allowed to go to the council to see if their cat was in the dead body bin (what an absolutely awful thing to experience). he was in the bin, and his ID discs could easily be read..... they are taking this further. it was heartbreaking to read what they went through.

the council did let these people take their cat home to be cremated, but another person who had adopted a cat from me, sadly lost him due to him being knocked over (not busy roads either), he was microchipped and had a collar and discs on, and they would not let her have neo back to be cremated. they seem to make the rules up as they go along.

>:( >:(

(photo is of weeny cookie - she's a lovely grown up girl now).
faye @ pawprints animal rescue
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 20:39:02 PM »
Signed. I can't believe they don't do this already.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 22:56:17 PM »
They should normally have a customer service policy of replying to you within 28 days - if not, take it up with the Local Government Ombudsman  :hug:

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
  • Whiskers now at the bridge & Phoebe currently AWOL
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 21:00:28 PM »
I firmly believe that all councils stink - our council farms everything out to contractors who do not give a  :censored: about people and their pets. I do not understand why they cannot record details of the animal picked up - Oh sorry I forgot they do - they think it is enough to say "it was a cat". How on earth does that help or comfort someone??

I have written to my council to ask for a full explanation of their procedures as I am not happy with their service and being made to feel like some mad old cat lady with nothing better to do. Still waiting for a reply - will scan and post it for all to see. They will probably say that they can't reply to me due to Health and Safety  :rofl:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 20:36:36 PM »
I've just signed this too.  When Minnie was missing for almost 3 weeks earlier this year, my local council said they would look out for a black and white cat on the first refuse collection day after she went missing, but after that, they couldn't (wouldn't?) help.  She has a collar with my phone number on, and is chipped.  I was told to call after a certain time and they would tell me if they'd found a body, but they wouldn't contact me first.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 16:19:32 PM »
It is so true that we need to grieve instead of worrying.  Smudge is 13 and went missing 4th Sept. I have cried every day and night and I'm sure you will all know what I mean when I say that I want to see him dead in front of me.  If he is happy where he is then of course I don't.  I have done everything humanely possible to find him and now I need to do something for me and I've put my name down to foster at RSPCA.

For the 1st 6 wks I phoned Bradford Council and I always had someone very caring on the line.  I could never speak without crying and they took their time to look carefully at the info on their computer system.  They did tell me to continue phoning as it was entirely up to the person that found the cat as to whether they would phone you if the cat was found with a collar and I.D.

God should have given animals the gift of talking as I'm sure they would say something a lot more interesting than a lot of humans!!

Mary   :catluv:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 16:29:42 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
maybe we should lobby them and send them info. Did someone say at one point that CP offered scanners to councils? If so, we need to lobby our local councillors and get them on the case ...

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »
I name and shame Medway Council. Their attitude just gets better and better - Each week I call them to see if my cat has been picked - their response this week " I cannot understand why you are still calling us!!! If your cat went missing in September we would have picked it up then". What they did not quite understand was the fact that YES my cat went missing in September, but she is still out there somewhere and I need to check as to whether she has been picked up. I also tried to give the council some info on a dead kitty that they had picked up , but not bothered to record any details on (how is someone supposed to know if it is their cat) and was told quite rudely that the case had been dealt with and closed on their system - so no info could be added - again they could not understand my concern.

What complete  :censored: no compassion or understanding whatsoever. I will be writing a letter of complaint.   

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 21:30:13 PM »
naming and shaming -
BROMLEY council DO NOT SCAN

If a collar is on dead animal they will keep a note of it !!!!!
(although i dont actually believe this to be true)

SIGNED

Offline cutie mcwhiskers

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 19:08:05 PM »

Signed!!

A few years ago we lost fidgets brother ginger, he went missing so we handed flyers out all over and
someone round the corner rang to say a cat matching his description was ran over outside their house
so they called the council to collect it.  we couldn't believe they don't scan them!  so even though we're
pretty sure it was him there's always a doubt because we'll never know for sure.  sometimes i imagine him
just strolling through the cat flap one day like he's never been gone  :smile:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 20:52:03 PM »
now signed  :)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 20:17:53 PM »
signed
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline a very sad lynne

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 20:56:27 PM »
Signed.

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
Here's a response from Medway Council - They do not scan for chips as they do not have a scanner - however if the poor little darling was wearing a collar they remove it for you to go and pick up before throwing them  into landfill. How charitable of them - they do not have the facility to keep the departed animal for collection by the owner - health & safety!!! - but it seems OK to remove the collar. These people make me mad!!!!!!

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
Signed :scared:

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »
I'm not surprised by the attitude of councils - gone are the days when they actually worked and cared for the people. It is not good enough - it is bad enough to find out that your kitty has been found dead let alone be happy in the knowledge that your council is throwing them away with the rubbish. Makes my blood boil.  In my area Medway, they do seem to have a database recording animals that are picked up - I call them every week - but have not asked them if they scan the animal (they do not ask if my cat is chipped) or what happens to them. I'm due to phone on Friday and will ask and keep you posted.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 22:51:56 PM »
Nice one Helen....ive just remembered to do that  :shy:

Signed  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 22:46:36 PM »
Signed... Don't forget to click on the link in the confirmation email they send you otherwise your signature will not be added.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 19:16:16 PM »
Unbelievable. Signed :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 21:58:05 PM »
I totally agree, signed

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 20:42:59 PM »
I'm sure some councils do this, but it should be done as a matter of course. What makes me angry is the County Council's total disinterest - they could have at least given advice on which department to contact, but they just said "It's not our job."

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 20:29:42 PM »
signed = though I am fairly sure Medway already does this - they certainly keep records and notify you if you have reported one missing.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
Checking for Microchips
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 20:25:29 PM »
Currently, when there's a dead cat found at the side of a road, most councils just dispose of them with the general waste, and don't bother to scan for a microchip. The County Council that covers where I live were even offered a scanner for free, but they weren't interested. (The town council are thinking about it.)

Please sign this petition - it's upsetting enough when a cat goes missing, at least if they know it's dead, people can start grieving instead of worrying.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Microchips/

Link to CatChat