Author Topic: Ban fireworks from public use-Petition!  (Read 44098 times)

Offline Jess's Mum (Sue)

• Adult Cat
Re: Ban fireworks from public use-Petition!
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 17:40:13 PM »
signed

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »
Signed.

The state of Maryland (where I'm from) has a ban on fireworks so you can only buy sparklers and small noise makers. So to me having your own fireworks from the corner shop is unheard of.

Too many stories about kids losing fingers and animals being hurt for me to even want to use them, however one day when I have the time I'm going to take a course in pyrotechnology and learn how to blow things up correctly ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 18:16:49 PM »
Fireworks going off here now and hopefully not for long - my 2 are fast asleep  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 15:45:22 PM »
we have been very lucky where we live we've had about a minutes worth all week, when we lived in London it went on for about a month dwali, eid and then guy fawkes then people started doing them for new year and weddings, goes on and on

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 15:40:36 PM »
I hate the  :censored: things and for the past 2 nights have had to watch 2 out of my 4  normally confident lively Bengals turn into shaking wrecks to the extent that Harry actually peed himself.  The other 4 are luckily not bothered at all but the 2 that are more than make up for it - it breaks my heart to see them like this. 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 22:15:41 PM »
I have signed it and think personally that they should only be used for proper organised displays if at all . Also if they have to have them , well away from animals of all descriptions and only on the 5th Nov- not 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after !
I live in a quiet area, but someone had them going off on the 31st Oct , tonight , bonfire at the school on the 6th and a village one on the 8 th ??Why ? I was told bonfire night was the 5th Nov - not before , not after .
At least that way , animals can be kept inside anbd for one night only ( fr those that have their cats out later )
I just get mine in when its dusk , even though they have a cat proof garden and dont go out of it - i still check every 20mins they are still there - unless they grow springs on their legs they cannot get out, also back door is always open till they are in for the night .

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2008, 21:53:32 PM »
Thanks hOrZa :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 21:50:41 PM »
No grudge here, if your skin is thin the internet is no place to hang out :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 21:46:14 PM »
I would just like to say ... Butch RIP has apologised for her "attack" on hOrZa. 

Butch RIP has decided not to be an active member on the forum however I think we all understand that following the loss of a furbabe feelings and emotions do run high and I think this was one of those times.

Hopefully if and/or when Butch RIP visits us again this matter will be forgotten and no grudges held.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 18:55:10 PM »
No but if there was a well organised petition with a lot of signatures, they could be lobbied. This one doesn't look too hopeful with 250 signatures  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 18:49:14 PM »
I feel its just a further erosion of our civil liberties

Surely if "The people" vote for it, it isn't?

do you think the govement would let us vote on the matter?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 18:56:21 PM by hOrZa »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 18:01:13 PM »
I feel its just a further erosion of our civil liberties

Surely if "The people" vote for it, it isn't?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 14:23:29 PM »
I am very impressed by that statement from SA Ruth and would love to see something like that here. And also see it enforced  :shify: :shify:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »
The problem with fireworks these days, as Mark and Horza have just said, is that they are way louder, way bigger, and way more powerful than they used to me.

They are certainly far removed from the little boxes we used to buy for the back garden when I was growing up, these are very powerful explosives, which is a worry.

The other problem is that anyone seems to be able to buy these huge fireworks now, so where I think they used to be for displays only, joe public can now buy pretty much anything on the internet, which is a worry.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »
the only reason I haven't signed is that I feel its just a further erosion of our civil liberties, and the sadist out there will find other things to use and that is a separate problem that needs addressed
Mark I'm with you on the loud thing fireworks just ain't the same anymore

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »
I have signed it. I hate seeing pets petrified - It broke my heart seeing photos of Den's Molly  :'(. Ideally I would like to see a complete ban - why should people and pets be subjected to other peoples noise? - It seems fireworks are made to be loud rather than colourful these days. I like the SA model. If people must let them off, they should be in set places, times and days only.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »
Setting aside what I personally think or don't think about the substantive issue, one member has called another member an idiot then gone on to make personal insults and that is unacceptable. You may express your views on any matter under discussion as strongly as you wish, Butch R.I.P, whether you have made one post or 10,000, but ad hominem attacks are ugly.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Hmmm.  Food for thought.   I'd certainly have respect for a police officer who was armed, than one who wasn't.  And by respect I think I mean that I'd be more scared they'd be trigger happy! 

Difficulty with fines is that so often they aren't paid, and not enforced, although not widely publicised.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »
Yes, the police framework out in SA is different to the UK, they are armed. They treat each situation as the same - only draw arms if threatened (obviously like in any country there is always a more aggressive kind within any law keeping force so I speak generally). Sadly the "fining" seems to work in the UK as well. In Enfield they will fine you £80 if you litter. Fantastic, and they enforce it, so Enfield is a relatively clean area of London.  The threat of prison sentences doesn't scare people that much in this country (or in many I suppose), but high fines do.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »
What's the police-on-the-street level like there Ruth?  Are they more prominent, and do they carry arms?  (sorry for my ignorance here, just not sure what sort of framework they operate within)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »
According to my family out there, yes, very much so.  The police in Johannesburg are stretched to the limit with murders and the like so this might not seem a priority, but you'd be surprised at how they address this.  It can work, even if its at a local level.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 08:26:04 AM »
That's really interesting Ruth.

Do they enforce it fairly rigorously?  I think that's the potential problem with a ban here - the Police are hard pushed to react to crime at the best of times, although if it were enforceable through other means (community teams, wardens etc) then it might be a winner.

I know the fire brigade are pretty good where we live now - they respond to any unauthorised bonfires very quickly, but I'm still not convinced a fireworks ban could be effectively policed, or that it wouldn't turn into a police-baiting exercise either. 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 08:09:54 AM »
Just my two pennies worth on this.  Other moderators have stated a similar opinion to mine regarding the way the thread has moved.

I do believe that a law can work.

This is a media release published in South Africa a year ago reminding residents of Johannesburg of the by-law that was passed banning fireworks apart from 11 days a year and on those days, the locations/times they are permitted to do so. It does work. Yes there are those who abuse the law, but they are in the minority and the law is enforced if they are caught.

MEDIA RELEASE

November Fireworks days (Guy Fawkes – 5 Nov and Divali – 9 Nov)

Statement on official Fireworks policy of City of Johannesburg

Issued by: Cllr Tim Sargeant - DA Council Spokesperson on Environmental Matters

11 October 2007

Rights of residents and domestic and other animals
Annual illegal noise and consequent animal terror

"Fireworks Month" (November) is around the corner and the annual Johannesburg fireworks noise frenzy is about to affect every resident of the City as well as their pets and other suburban animals and birds.

Improper use of fireworks is illegal in Johannesburg and it is important to remind residents about the City's strict fireworks regulations and about the rights of residents to demand Council action against illegal fireworks usage.

A few facts:-

Unless special Council authorisation has been applied for and granted, there are only 11 days annually when residents are allowed to "light or ignite" fireworks. Guy Fawkes and Divali are such days. (R 500 fine on other days).

Except for New Year's Eve, the only permissible time period for igniting fireworks on these days is between 19h00 and 22h00 (7 to 10 pm). (R 500 fine at any other time).

No person may light or ignite fireworks in any place where animals are present (R 1 000 fine). This includes domestic homes.

No person may allow any minor (child) under his or her control to "use, light or ignite" fireworks (R 1 500 fine). No exceptions to this rule.

No person may use fireworks on any agricultural holding or at any school or senior citizens' residence without special Council authorisation ( R 1 000 to R 1 500 fine). This authorisation must be sought well in advance of intended day.

No person can use fireworks within 500 metres of any petrol depot or petrol station without special Council authorisation ( R 1 500 fine).

No person or organisation can "present a fireworks display" unless formally authorised to do so by the Council (at least 14 days' notice before the display is required by Council to consider such an application). Authorisation is also required from the Civil Aviation Authority and the Chief Inspector of Explosives. (Multiple fines of R 1 500 are applicable).

At such a display (should permission be granted) a pyrotechnist and SA Police Services explosives expert must be present at all times. (R 1 500 fines).

No person may deal in fireworks (sell or make available) unless they hold a fireworks licence in terms of the Explosives Act as well as the written authority of the Chief Fire Officer.(R 1 500 fine).

The reign of terror which afflicts Johannesburg's large pet population when people indiscriminately (and often criminally) ignite noisy fireworks at all times of the day and night gets worse every year.

Firm enforcement of the by-laws will assist in reducing the noise and panic levels and allow people (and their pets) to plan for "noisy" periods thus producing a quieter, safer environment for all concerned.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
Healthy debate is a good thing.  Insulting posts aren't.

I think there's room on every forum for the views of new and existing members to co-exist side by side, even in opposition. 

I speak as someone whose husband is deaf in one ear directly due to a firework throwing incident in his youth.  I dislike them intensely for the harm they do, but I don't think banning them from public use will work either. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 23:03:38 PM »
This thread doesn't have to turn into an argument.

Absolutely, we all have different opinions on this and indeed any subject but please can we try and remain civil.  It doesn't matter how many posts anyone has made or how long they've been a member, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  We do however have to be prepared for people to disagree with them, I think personal insults are uncalled for.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 22:57:17 PM »
This thread doesn't have to turn into an argument.

h0rZa, no offence but if you don't agree with the petition, just don't sign it. Butch R.I.P you have every right to air your views as much as anyone on the forum, and I understand your distress. We have people setting fireworks off sporadically near us at the moment.

People don't have to miss out on fireworks displays - there are organised events by most local councils to my knowledge.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 22:23:27 PM »
thankyou

Offline Butch R.I.P

• Kitten
  • At the Birmingham NEC a few years ago
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 22:05:27 PM »
I don't think I will if you don't like my opinion then you know where you can go, I do have a child and yes I do worry about such things, but not to the extent of banning things, we have fireworks for years now and it only mindless yobs that cause problems so all the decent people have to do without I don't think so.

I have been here for a long time and you just turn up making your mouth go, its you that needs to go elsewhere

I knew the 'I have been on here for years' thing would crop up. Just because you have made 3 billion posts does not give you any more right than I to post or say things or challenge a reply.  I actually have better things to do with my time (like caring for my cat and cleaning the toilet) instead of sitting at some screen typing messages to people I will never meet. I just thought it would be nice to chat to other like minded people - what a joke that turned out to be. It is for that reason I have come to the conclusion that a forum is waste of time and I shouldn't have wasted mine joining one because I will just get treated like some primary school child. No, I haven't been posting for years but I object to being treated like some sixteen year old on their first day at work. You will be sending me for the 'long stand' at this rate, or how about a bucket of tartan paint?  There are a few other people on here that agree with me and think fireworks should be banned, so why quote me? Oh yes, because I am a NEWBIE. I bet you wouldn't dare go against a 'five gold stars' member would you?  How dare a newbie 'make her mouth go'? Shock horror for me posting a reply you didn't like.  Pick on somebody else! And yes, I do know where I can go.  A million miles away from petty this forum and its narrow minded people with their 'I have been here longer than you' attitude.  Did they give you a prefects badge? Do you polish it? Happy posting - again and again and again and again because you don't seem to have much else to do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 22:07:18 PM by Butch R.I.P »
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 21:26:30 PM »
I don't think I will if you don't like my opinion then you know where you can go, I do have a child and yes I do worry about such things, but not to the extent of bannig things, we have fireworks for years now and it only mindless yobs that cause problems so all the decent people have to do without I don't think so.

I have been here for a long time and you just turn up making your mouth go, its you that needs to go elsewhere

Offline Butch R.I.P

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 21:01:41 PM »
I have signed this one because I have always been against the general public being allowed to purchase what  amounts to dangerous explosives.  Kids hurt themselves and evil people torture animals with them - it's ridiculous that this still goes on considering the 'Nanny State' we now appear to live in!

and you want to make it even more so? what about when the government decides that you should only leave the house with a bodyguard for safety reason will you comply with that too?

Typical.  If some scruffy little scroat were to tie a banger or rocket to your cat's tail would you still think fireworks should be sold to the public? I live in an area where people breed yobs like rabbits, and they were out there today behind the flats where I unfortunately live, setting off fireworks before it was even dark.  We have a community of strays living in our gardens and it scared the hell out of them, maybe they will even kill a few, who knows but I am sure that wouldn't bother you. I am dead set against the government taking over our lives, but I don't think EXPLOSIVES should be advertised and sold to irresponsible people.  How would you feel if your child (if you have one) was seriously injured if not killed by some stupid kid throwing fireworks? I bet you would bleat and cry about getting them banned then.  Anyway, if you are so pro-firework what they hell are you doing posting here? Just to put your little oar in I suppose and I bet you like a little argument.  I knew joining a fourm was a bad idea, because it's full of idiots - like you.  Go post somwhere else.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 21:04:17 PM by Butch R.I.P »
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »
I have signed this one because I have always been against the general public being allowed to purchase what  amounts to dangerous explosives.  Kids hurt themselves and evil people torture animals with them - it's ridiculous that this still goes on considering the 'Nanny State' we now appear to live in!

and you want to make it even more so? what about when the government decides that you should only leave the house with a bodyguard for safety reason will you comply with that too?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 07:31:47 AM »
signed
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 00:28:45 AM »
Signed...

Thats a better count...I was 254th to sign.

Was discussing this with a woman in Tesco's a couple of days ago. Safe to say both of us agreed that we are heartily sick of the abuse of fireworks we see today. I love fireworks but the scummy little sods who get thier hands on them nowadays mean that they must be removed from public sale. The fact that we are also subjected to it for at least 3 months nowadays means that nervous pets are suffering even more (as a lot of on here are aware of).

Yet another beautiful thing corrupted by the irresponsible  >:(

Offline Butch R.I.P

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 23:49:04 PM »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 14:07:28 PM »
I tried to sign it but not sure if it worked

You should get a confirmation email from them  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
I've signed

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
unfortunately some rather stupid people have signed with some nasty meassages (check out the guy from Florida) there should be something to remove useless signatures.

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »
I tried to sign it but not sure if it worked

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 21:24:27 PM »
I tried to sign it but it said I had already signed it. It the same one from last year  >:( - 60 signatures in a year  :Crazy:

Offline sylsuki

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 18:49:28 PM »
Signed with pleasure  8)

Link to CatChat