Author Topic: petition to ban declawing of cats in the USA  (Read 60956 times)

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
  • Jozef and Walter the two rascals
    • The Claws Connection
Re: petition to ban declawing of cats in the USA
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 17:34:48 PM »
I second that! Well done Sparklecat and her mum.  There are many more kind American citizens than there are unkind, we just need to reach them and teach them (OOh I just made a mantra there LOL)

Stephen Fry - good idea, I know someone in the SavingCatsClaws group who's on twitter so I'll post it to her.

Thanks everybody, your input is wonderful, keep the ideas coming.  We now have 7 USA DVM's (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine) signatures on the petition including Dr Michael Fox the author of this page
http://www.twobitdog.com/DrFox/specialreport_Article.aspx?ID=46b4b2c4-93d6-4582-b4ec-7d311782aab8&seword=declawing who has said we can link to his website

The petition is now at 1717

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 17:07:11 PM »
Well done to Sparklecat and Mum for signing it. Onwards and upwards!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2009, 13:57:04 PM »
I'm sure that people don't really know what it involves - I'm sure raising awareness will help no end

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2009, 13:31:22 PM »
I signed it but I can't see Americans listening to anyone

I'm an American,  I've signed it. 
My mum's an American, she's signed it.

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
How about Stephen Fry? Although I'm not on twitter I know he has a strong network - is it worth finding a 'twitterer' to help out?

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
I wrote to Rolf Harris pretty much at the beginning of the campaign last November, I had a response from his agent to say he was out of the country until the new year and she would draw his attention to it when he returned, sadly I'm still awaiting a response.  It's so hard to actually get TO the person themselves, mostly emails are blocked by agents who likely delete most of them.  Writing by post is the same, mostly only C/O addresses are available and of course it is less convenient to provide the link by post because the person has to be interested enough to physically tye the URL in rather than just clicking on the link.  I wrote to Simon Cowell last night, by post to a london address, because there wasn't an email contact, it feels like a waste of time and postage but always worth a try. 1711 signatures this morning.

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 19:16:45 PM »
How about Rolf Harris he might be responsive?

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 17:16:06 PM »
PHEW!! Right, I found an address for Halle Berry so she's done.  I wish we could get to Simon Cowell, we've tried more than once, we even wrote to SuBo asking her to pass it on to him...no luck!  But I'm inspired to try again so I'll keep you posted  ;D

This is a sad message I received from one of our other members:

Out of the 24 people I initially emailed asking for a signature, the following have not signed, nor bothered replying. It could be that my mail got caught in their spam filters..

Temple Grandin - Ethologist Prof Animal Science - Colorado State Uni
Marc Bekoff - Ethologist
Minette Walters - author of crime fiction and cat/animal lover
Richard Dawkins
Jane Goodall
Tom Cox - Journalist, cat bloke, author, blogger
Jackie Morris - artist, author illustrator, cat lover, blogger
Shelley Bovey - author, journalist & cat lover
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas - author of "The Tribe of Tiger"
Ben Goldacre - Author of Bad Science in The Guardian (doc & journo)
Angela Smith MP - member of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Animal Welfare
Randy Malamud - Patron of Captive Animal Protection Society
Mike Hancock MP - Patron of Captive Animal Protection

Tom Cox recently interviewed Jackie Morris and Joanna Lumley. Joanna Lumley interviwed Jackie Morris for tonights Cat Documentary presented by Joanna Lumley. Both Tom Cox and Jackie Morris have books for sale in America. So the cynical amongst you might draw the same conclusion as me about why they didn't bother replying or signing.

Jane Goodall's email sent me an "out of office" answer so I don't think my email to her got caught by the spam filter.

I emailed Cynthia Hammond as well but no response there again!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2009, 17:07:39 PM »
Holly Willoughby (SP?) she is a cat lover and also Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) loves cats too!  ;) :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 16:52:10 PM »
Jason Mraz (musician) is a big cat/animal lover. He's got a gorgeous cat called Holmes. He did have another called Ozone but sadly he got out one day and was killed by a couger  :( Jason has a massive fan base and a huge number of people who follow him on facebook/myspace and he ALWAYS blogs especially on issues that matter to him!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 16:40:49 PM »
I've emailed Ellen DeGenerey, I could only find an online contact form so I'm not confident she'll read it but it's the best I can do, I put as much as I could with the 1500 characters allowed, added the petition link and asked for her help with publicity.  I see she has a new series about to start, probably all pre-recorded, but wouldn't be great if she mentioned our campaign?

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 14:37:25 PM »
Thanks very much, we now have 1,689 signatures, as well as those from wonderful people like the members of Purrs in our hearts we also have signatures from some influential people:

1.Dr Benjamin Zephaniah (UK) Poet/writer/honorary patron of the Vegan Society/Animal Rights Advocate
2.Kit Berry (UK) Author
3.Annie Bruce (USA) Cat behavioural expert/author
4.Roger Tabor (UK)Broadcaster/author/biologist and behaviourist
5.Dr Peter Neville BSc (Hons)(UK) Animal Behaviour Consultant
6.Michael Broad (UK)Retired lawyer
7.Dr Laura Dixon (UK) Animal behaviourist
8.Vicky Halls (UK) Author/cat behavioural therapist
9.Terry Pride (USA)Humane educator
10.Jeffrey Masson  (NZ)Author
11.Jane Johnson ( pen name Gabriel King)  (UK) Author
12.Flora Fleming (UK)Cat action Trust
13.Jeremy Angel  (NZ) Zoologist/Author
14.Peter Tatchell (UK) Human and animal rights activist
15.Fiona Oakes (UK) Elite Marathon Runner/Owns Tower Hills Animal Sanctuary/Champion of captive animals/rights
16.Richard James Brown DVM (USA)Veterinarian
17.Struan Stevenson (UK)MEP
18.Jonathan Balcombe (USA)Author/ethologist)
19.Ann Widdecombe  (UK)MP/TV presenter/Author
20.Michael Allaby (UK)Author
21.Heather Mills  (UK)Famous charity worker and animal rights campaigner
22. Britta Jaschinski (UK)World class wild life photographer
23.Celia Haddon   (UK)Journalist/author

If anyone can think of any more celebs etc that might sign, please give me a shout  ;)

Simon Cowell...HUGE animal lover!   :hug:  Always at animal charity events and, I believe, has written many into his Will!   :Luv2:

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2009, 14:29:20 PM »
That's brilliant Judecat, the more the merrier! Sparklecat, yes, yes yes! Go for it pleeeease.

I will!   :hug:

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 14:28:29 PM »
Lovely videos, I laughed at the second one, it's five minutes long and the cat is eating for all but about 10 secionds of it, he's having a few glances at the scratching post though.  The final one has me a little bit puzzled.  It's plain to see that Ellen and the cat love each other and when they're playing there is a lot of swatting by the puss, afterwards when he's rolling in the sink I've paused it and looked long and hard but I just can't make out if that cat has claws or not.  She didn't seem scared of getting scratched. Anyway I'm going to try and contact her, also Liz Smith (never heard of her like) and old Bill Clinton and see if I can shame him into signing.  Bridget Bardot and Celia Hammond alas have yet to reply. 

I'm not sure if anyone in our group has tried Twiggy, I'm going to check before I try contacting all of these people as we don't want to harrass them.  Twiggy is at the moment the face of Olay products, who are up to their eyes in animal testing, she has now been sent the brutal facts about the people she is working for and it remains to be seen if she severs connections or goes on with the job.

Thanks again everybody, 19 sigs since yesterday the petition now stands at 1708 , we're today's top petition.

What about Ricky Gervais?  He LOVES animals!

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 14:05:14 PM »
Lovely videos, I laughed at the second one, it's five minutes long and the cat is eating for all but about 10 secionds of it, he's having a few glances at the scratching post though.  The final one has me a little bit puzzled.  It's plain to see that Ellen and the cat love each other and when they're playing there is a lot of swatting by the puss, afterwards when he's rolling in the sink I've paused it and looked long and hard but I just can't make out if that cat has claws or not.  She didn't seem scared of getting scratched. Anyway I'm going to try and contact her, also Liz Smith (never heard of her like) and old Bill Clinton and see if I can shame him into signing.  Bridget Bardot and Celia Hammond alas have yet to reply. 

I'm not sure if anyone in our group has tried Twiggy, I'm going to check before I try contacting all of these people as we don't want to harrass them.  Twiggy is at the moment the face of Olay products, who are up to their eyes in animal testing, she has now been sent the brutal facts about the people she is working for and it remains to be seen if she severs connections or goes on with the job.

Thanks again everybody, 19 sigs since yesterday the petition now stands at 1708 , we're today's top petition.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
I'm sure Liz Smith (actress) would sign - she is the patron of Rhodes Minnis cat sanctuary and could be contacted through them. Twiggy is another animal rights preson (although I did contact Uncaged to ask why she was a judge on America's Next top model when it is sponsored by P&G - they said they had contacted her already about it. She is no longer a judge so don't know if they had any influence there).

I also sent an email to the producers of Oprah about declawing but not surprisingly, they didn't reply  :tired:

A really good one if you could get a message through is Ellen Degeneres. She loves cats. Maybe you have seen the foorage on youtube of the cat that had been sneaking into the studio at night. She arranged for food, water and a scratching post to be put out for it  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuDe4w3m8U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXrCUSHWpC4

Ellen home video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk6VZaSFhzU&feature=PlayList&p=52CF4CE0A9BDF17F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:42:56 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:51 AM »
Signed  :( >:(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
Jeez,the things people will do to stay in power!  The double standards of some never fails to amaze me.  Brigitte Bardot and I think Celia Hammond might be worth a
try as a long shot!
Henrietta

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
I think maybe Bill Clinton likes cats, and there's nothing lost by sending the petition to him, but here's a bit from this page
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6157/socks24.html
"In a recent interview, Hillary Clinton disclosed that Socks has been declawed in December 1996.  The First Family's decision to declaw Socks was in part at the insistence of the Secret Service, after Bill was seen wearing a bandage on his cheek.  At first, he said he had cut himself shaving, but later he revealed Socks had scratched him.  Perhaps the declawing was postponed until until after the presidential electlion to avoid it becoming a campaign issue.  In response, author Annie Bruce wrote the following article exclusively for Socks The Cat Fan Club Newsletter. ....."  (Annie Bruce is a well respected author and cat behaviourist and is a member of both of our declaw groups, she has battled for years to end declawing)

I  thought I remembered Sox the first cat as being declawed, and I think Hillary Clinton actually got the blame but he must have agreed to it too, and see what it says about leaving it until after the election.....  I'm also sure I read somewhere that presidential cats are almost always declawed in the end because of the presidential furniture.  What a world.

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks.  Another US vet signed yesterday.

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 18:20:03 PM »
From what I hear Joanna is off to the Nile on Monday but something awaiting her return would be brilliant.
Bill Clinton is a cat lover and it is on his home patch - that would be interesting to hear his response!

Henrietta

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 15:05:06 PM »
That's brilliant Judecat, the more the merrier! Sparklecat, yes, yes yes! Go for it pleeeease.

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 15:04:03 PM »
Sadly a few of us have tried and failed to contact her or get her to sign.  Do you fancy having a try?

I wonder if now would be a good time to approach Joanna Lumley in light of her show this Sunday...?  I will make enquiries.  :hug:

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
Good idea.  My sofa is in shreds under the throw as my cats prefer that to the scratching posts but we accept it and wouldn't dream of declawing.
What is wrong with these superficial people.  If you have pets you accept the good and bad and love them for it.

Henrietta

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 22:40:04 PM »
Signed, also emailed Doctor Christianne asking if we can do anything else from UK. Heartbreaking!
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 18:58:11 PM »
Thanks evertone for ideas! And thanks for signing Henrietta  :naughty:

Offline henrietta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 18:51:22 PM »
I've signed and cannot believe that the USA carry out such a barbaric practice. They should be ashamed.

Henrietta

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 18:24:45 PM »
Thanks very much, we now have 1,689 signatures, as well as those from wonderful people like the members of Purrs in our hearts we also have signatures from some influential people:

1.Dr Benjamin Zephaniah (UK) Poet/writer/honorary patron of the Vegan Society/Animal Rights Advocate
2.Kit Berry (UK) Author
15.Fiona Oakes (UK) Elite Marathon Runner/Owns Tower Hills Animal Sanctuary/Champion of captive animals/rights

If anyone can think of any more celebs etc that might sign, please give me a shout  ;)

Pamela Anderson .... she's a big PETA supporter.

Other Cat lovers:

Christina Ricci
Halle Berry
Bill Clinton
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 18:29:49 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 16:55:44 PM »
Sadly a few of us have tried and failed to contact her or get her to sign.  Do you fancy having a try?

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 16:34:15 PM »

2.Kit Berry (UK) Author

Joanna Lumley!   :hug:

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 15:58:03 PM »

2.Kit Berry (UK) Author

Offline SparkleCat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
Signed.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 23:33:58 PM »
I have signed several petions against declawing, but didn't realise that the toes were amputated. Horrific (sp) but you know what I mean.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 17:06:41 PM »
1538 signatures now, including one from a vet who used to declaw but won't do it now.  Also Annie Bruce US author of "Cat Be Good" and a long term opponent of declawing, Roger Tabor broadcaster, author, biologist and behaviourist, Vicky Halls cat behaviourist, Terry Pride, humane educator; USA, Flora Fleming for Cat Action Trust (AYRSHIRE BRANCH) and Dr Peter Neville cat behaviourist.

And of course San Francisco is considering banning declawing, it's already banned in West Hollywood so surely the rest of the USA must follow.

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 17:10:02 PM »
1459 signatures so far http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4312 can anyone forward the link anywhere? thanks

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
It's an uphill battle, I know, and for our little group it's especially difficult because some of us live in England where it's already banned and we don't know the ins and outs of the USA at all well.  It was just that we were so incensed at the end of last year when we realised how much it is going on in the USA that we have to try and do something to stop the madness, it seems to be almost common practice and we've seen the ads on USA veterinary surgery websites for "packages" of neutering, vaccination and declawing for kittens, we've even seen "low cost" declawing with OPTIONAL pain relief and yet the AVMA's supposed policy is that declawing should be the last resort when all else has been tried and failed.  That is a load of bunkum and means diddly squat, and the AVMA know it!  We have evidence from USA vet technicians of what really happens and what the kittens and cats go through post op, some people even get older and larger cats declawed and their extra weight sometimes causes the wounds to split open when they start hobbling on them.  We are collecting stories from people who have had it done to their cat and without knowing that "declawing" is actually amputation of the toes and have come to regret it due to the mess made of their cats paws and the behavioural changes of them afterwards, also the loss of limbs and the loss of life, these will be presented along with the petition but meanwhile we're going to be writing to the major USA media with some of these facts and figures.

It wasn't until we had the petition up and running that we got the bad news that it's happening in Canada too, sometimes it's overwhelming because we spend a large part of our free time every day trawling sites and trying to reply to people who don't know what it entails and are asking about it while considering it for their own cats.  We know for a fact that we have talked 38 people out of declawing their cats by educating them to the facts.  38 might be a drop in the bucket but that's 38 cats that would have been crippled by now.

It's awful that it's being featured on so called comedy shows, a cheap laugh for most people along with the silly habit of bathing cats weekly and then wondering why they are getting scratched.

Thanks to everyone who's signed the petition there are 1435 signatures now, we know we have a long way to go and a huge fight, there are a few members in the USA doing what they can from that end but no one seems to want to get out there on the streets and shout about it.  If I was younger and not so hard up I'd go over myself and raise a fuss.

We have been told that we're wasting our time and why bother when it's not even happening in the country we live in, but having seen the horrors of it and loving cats for what they are - beautiful free spirits - we can't bear to think of any cat being modified to suit someone's lavish couch or curtains.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 00:17:35 AM »
signed. Someone should start one for Canada to it's commen practice here most people take there cats in and have them spayed and declawed the vets even given discounts if you do both.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 21:43:07 PM »
Signed
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 21:35:53 PM »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 19:54:00 PM »
Sadly those kind of numbers are a drop in the ocean and the numbers need to be in the 100s of thousands, if not millions for authorities to sit up and listen  :(

I got really wound up last night as I was watvhing an American comedy called "king of Queens" - one of the characters was supposed to be a sad cople who called their cats their babies. The woman was complaining that "the babies" were acting up at bathtime and that she would have them declawed  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Babz

• Adult Cat
    • The Claws Connection
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 15:45:21 PM »
Brilliant! Thank you so much. 1383 on the petition now. it's got to happen. :boxer:

Link to CatChat