Author Topic: clumping or non clumping  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: clumping or non clumping
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
We use Argo baby chick crumbs stocked at Batleys cash and carry.  Hopefully the words "totally drug free" mean exactly that  :shify:

http://www.argofeeds.com/poultry.html

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »

Gawd blimey!   :-:  No, definitely not wantin' Ross to be having doings wiv that.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 19:47:22 PM »
Never knew chick crumb could contain steroids or AB's!  :Crazy:  What's that all about?  :-:

It's food for new hatched chicks, so I suppose the steroids are to make 'em grow big and the ABs to ward off coop fever or summink 'orrible.  >:( :'( Don't want young Ross digesting that lot do we.  :Crazy:
The organic stuff is just ground corn husk, the way nature intended, but does have some reviews saying bugs and beetles can get in which I suppose infect the crumb with disease  :Crazy: :scared: but then I know where they poo in my garden is hardly sanitary  :-[

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »

Am a "clumping" fan and use Catsan.  I find it best for odour and it doesn't create much mess.  Did try wood pellets with Paddy but he never liked them so have never tried them with the others.  Never knew chick crumb could contain steroids or AB's!  :Crazy:  What's that all about?  :-:

Susanne - bet that was entertaining.   :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 20:09:26 PM »
Here at the Clan we use 2 different clumping types, one fine and one larger grit, Wood pellet, paper litter and the odd compost grit box and we have sanex for the visiting cats

Mine are pretty much at the stage they will use any of them, we compost all of it or take it to the tip and put it in the garden rubbish skip

30l of saw dust lasts about 11 days here but I am mean and use a latte Mug measure per grit box saves on tracking and a hell of a mess if they flip the boxes
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 18:18:39 PM »
Oh boy I thought it was just a cat litter LOL

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 17:15:47 PM »
Definitely clumping.  I'd hate to have to clean the tray out properly every day cos I'm lazy  ;D  I use chick crumbs (Dodson and Horrell) as worlds best was getting too expensive.  Not a lot cheaper tbh when I have to buy it from PAH.  I have recently found a pet place that sells it a bit cheaper plus I can get gardening club points for buying it too  ;D but was in there today and asked if they stock bigger bags and was informed no and they only stock the small bags up until about September as people don't buy it from then onwards as they don't have any baby chicks!  Had a very entertaining conversation when I told him I didn't want it for chicks but for cat litter  :rofl:  I couldn't tell whether he was horrified or just surprised!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 16:04:06 PM »
I hate clumping litter with a passion!

I use Smart Cat wood pellets, think sold by ASDA now but I get mine through a pet shop, 3 or 4x 30 litre bags at atime.

With 4 cats using it its going far too quick and mine all goes to dustbin collections which are limited to 4 bags every two weeks and the rest I drive to the tip.

Problem is its very heavy

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 15:24:43 PM »
Catsan non clumping wood for us.  Have tried a few including Cats best, Sainsburys own and Worlds best, but we find the Catsan to be best on odour, whilst not working out too expensive.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 13:02:57 PM »
I'd read about the medication too, Dawn. There are some brands that contain steroids  :scared: :shocked: and antibiotics, but others are sold as organic and this would be my choice, but no-one around here supplies it, and the mail-order is as expensive as buying World's Best from PaH, so I'm a bit stuck really.

You like Oko? Might give it a try. I've got a ZooPlus account so can get discount there (and a few pennies to Busters Memorial Fund through Easyfundraising  :) )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
I used to use chick crumb shelia oko is similar oh got twitchy about the whole is it medicated thing with crumb

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
I'm using World's best but having second thoughts, as although it's very very good it's hellish expensive, and four of our eight cats now use it so I'm getting though 6 litres a week.  :Crazy:

I've recently tried Sanicat Gold from Tescos, won't use it again. Gritty stuff all over the house, it sets like concrete and isn't flushable. I like to compost the weewee clumps and flush the poo so need one that's organic based, not clay or crystals.

Some members use chick-crumb as a good alternative to Worlds Best, as it's made from the same stuff, but there's no supplier near me in NE London so haven't been able to check this out myself yet.

I have two trays just for wee - the upstairs trays get used as pottys in the night (by the cats not us ! ) - and these are lined with free newspapers which I recycle after use, and of course, they are free!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
I find far and away the best is the wood pellet type. We use Asda or Wilkos and they are just as good as the more expensive ones.  It smells lovely, a pine fragrance, and is ultra absorbent, easily disposed of, we compost ours, doesn't clump but doesn't need to as it absorbs ALL liquid. You can also burn it or put it out with garden rubbish or even land fill as is all natural and biodegradable. I wouldn't use anything else now. Mine are indoor cats so it gets alot of use but is never smelly as long as i change it fairly regularly and even then I don't have to change it nearly as often as the clay based ones.

I recently tried Tigerino which is a finer wood pellets and it is good but I still prefer Asdas and Wilko because although it absorbs well but it gets stuck in their little paws and tracks all over the house.

Give wood pellets a try, your cats may be a bit funny adapting at first as it is a bit coarse on their paws but they get used to it .

Jo X
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:35:33 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
I use Pets at home, or Sainsburys Ultra clumping, I have recently tried the Cristal type one, and Clean paws, but gone back to the old faithfull.

Nicky

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »
I'm a clumping fan I use oko, I haven't found anything that copes with odour as well although I know the tracking gets on peoples nerves a bit!

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Purdy and Poppy
clumping or non clumping
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
Litter which do you guys prefer??? I am currently using catsan non clumping x

Link to CatChat