Author Topic: cat litter stresses  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: cat litter stresses
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2007, 12:49:28 PM »
I use Smartcat paper litter £7.50 for 30Lt bag and i use a bag a week.

The cattery that i am using next week uses Corn litter, i really dont think my lot will use it as they are fussy at home so i am taking a bag of paper with them

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 21:54:43 PM »
No lottie ive only used the normal strength one but been tempted by the stronger one (scottish remember that extra couple of quid is better in my pocket  :evillaugh:)
Anyway when cody was younger it was nearer the monthly litter tray changes and that was fine but as he got older ive had to move it forward and dh commented about the smell once...altho it wasnt long since i'd scooped and it was just actually the wbcl he was on about not any soiling lol (as he found out when i stuck the bag of wbcl up to his nose  :evillaugh:)

another thing ive discovered the last couple of days is cody is tracking less with the pellets than he does with the wbcl...now i am a big fan of it but me thinks i might actually think about the pellet for him coz 2 or 3 days in and its pretty good so far (got my new bag of wbcl but not opened it yet)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 20:30:07 PM »
Lynn - I use a clay clumping litter - sophisticat premium choice mainly but I mix in some of pets at home scented clumping litter (I'm sure the sophisticat used to be scented but it isn't now and pah have stopped selling it, instead bringing out their own version in both scented and unscented varieties).  It works fine as I can't smell anything unless they've just done a poo.  Friends have commented that they never smell anything when they visit.  I was talking to a friend today who has visited a few times and mentioned that Jaffa sprayed last week and he brought up the fact that my flat never smells of cat pee when he's visited.  So I'm reluctant to change but there's always that wondering whether there's something better out there!  WBCL says that it lasts longer than other litters and I'm wondering whether they mean other clumping litters or just non clumping litters because I can't see how it can last longer than another clumping litter unless it clumps differently and the clumps don't use as much litter, if you know what I mean! 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 18:40:51 PM »
Tan, if you liked the clumping catsan you can get 15kg sacks of a similar type at zooplus, its called Golden Grey, it works best if kept nice and deep or it sticks to the bottom of the tray like cement!
When you tried worlds best did you fill the tray at least 2" deep? I really like that stuff as you can flush it, no stinky bins!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_accessories/cat_litter/clumping_litter/29960

I personally cant stand wood litter, the smell of it gets up my nose and makes me sneeze! Also the cats hate it, the spread toes and facial expressions said it all. They jumped in the tray, peed half standing up and ran  >:(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 16:24:19 PM »
We use an old Ltte mug and this is enough for the tay and the hooded boxes get 1.5 latte cups!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 15:57:19 PM »
Hello Tan,
We use a wood based litter at the boarding cattery where I work. We put one scoop full of litter per tray ( the plastic scoops specifically for cat litter, etc.). It is a flat scoop full, not mounded up. It only barely covers the bottom of the tray.
We have been doing it this way for six years and very rarely have any probs. We get a very occasional cat that does not like the wood litter but the amount is never a problem.
We never keep the litter more than a day each morning we throw away the  entire contents and disinfect the tray and replace with a clean one.
If you use a large amount of food and litter it may be worth seeing if you can open an account at a pet wholesaler.
I buy all my stuff from the one that supplies the cattery. There is usually a minimum order of about £200 but worth it if you buy in bulk anyway.
Lindyloo

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 14:51:12 PM »
Yes I agree Lynn, it takes a while to get used to the smell of it (I was using silica before I switched which didn't have any smell to it). Do you use the original or extra strength one? The extra strength one smells much stronger but controls odours well.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 14:40:02 PM »
the clumps are generally small and compact yes.

Mine are compact but I wouldn't say small. I suppose it depends on the size of the weeeeeee
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 14:12:11 PM »
Ela normal sized mugs (not denby  :evillaugh:) but defo not large mugs.

susanne what type of litter do you use again ?  wbcl is meant to be around the 2" deep and doesnt work properly if it isnt kept around that...the clumps are generally small and compact yes.

ive been using wood pellets in codys tray for couple of days now (he doesnt seem to mind what litter he has) and have to say i'm sure you cant smell pee so much as that wbcl..but then its not really pee you smell with it just it has an Odd aroma in the first place.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 13:54:10 PM »
smelling so the wood pellets work for us and are great toys to!!!!

I agree great toys. The wood really is the only litter that holds no pee smell, when I go into peoples houses occasionally the smell is terrible and they haven't a clue, unbelievable sometimes. The only time we could smell peeeee was when Peewee occasionally had the problem he had that the vet advised us he had only known in horses before. The litter stunk like an unneutered tom and needed to be changed each time Pee went into a tray.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »
Ela balanced yes but we are down to 36 currently as we lost Bert one week ago today but Tyson the stray is looming and he will be compost/sawdust mix!

Some of the indoor/outdoor crew come in and use the tray then go back out.

Like you we can smell everything and having so many one becomes paranoid about anything smelling so the wood pellets work for us and are great toys to!!!! :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »
Ela we have 22 indoor/outdoor -

Perfectly balanced then. Oh! just clicked I thought  22 indoor,  22 outdoor, thick or what.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:49:40 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 10:45:46 AM »
was 3.99 for 10 litres and omg i hated it

It wouldn’t do for us all to like the same. I must have tried most litters over the years and most I cannot stand as I can smell pee and to clean some trays out I have found horrendous. I hate it when litter sticks to the bottom. The only litter I have found where I cannot smell the is wood litter. The Corn and Danish Pink is OK but I can still smell a little pee occasionally, also I did cat care at someone’s home and they used Wilkinsons Fullers Earth and that was they best of any other I have ever used. Although I have never bought any for myself.

I tried that litter that is supposed to last 1 cat 30 days, it almost freeze dries the poo and you obviously take it out. Yet after 10 days the smell of urine became overpowering and  to lift the tray to empty it you needed the musles of Popeye or Desperate Dan. My husband has a very sensitive nose and he can smell cat wee a mile off, although he is very placid one thing he cannot stand is tray smells. With the wood I find that you could put your nose an inch from the litter and still there is no smell. I can’t tell you the number of times I have shoved a tray up to an adopters nose and said smell this, and they can’t.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
Ela we have 22 indoor/outdoor - they have access to the garden and 6 trays and the other 15 have the remaining trays - Note all are in every night so from about 7pm - 7am we have some heavy useage!!! :Crazy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »
It takes a 5L tub to give me a depth of about 2 inches as I have a large tray

Do you mean swimming pool? No seriously I have just rtried  6 ltrs  of the wood pellets in one of mine and that is almost 2"

Or does it form small clumps?

Not really, I sippose it depends how big the peee is.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
It takes a 5L tub to give me a depth of about 2 inches as I have a large tray, and I use 3-4 tubs a month.  I have considered trying WBCL but tbh I don't see how they can use less?  It will take the same volume to fill the tray, then when they pee in it surely the clump will be about the same size so the amount of litter used the same?  Or does it form small clumps?  I wouldn't consider using anything other than clumping.  Jaffa and Magpie refused to use wood pellets when I tried them on those and I hate the idea of not being able to scoop out the wee!

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »
i used the wood pellet cat litter by bob martin last week
it was 3.99 for 10 litres and omg i hated it
i thought it was a load of old  :censored:
i dont like the way it all goes like sand when its pee`d on   :-:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »
I put about 5 litres in the tray too, but I use clumping litter and it needs to be a few inches deep.

I know when I use the corn I use much more as it needs to be deep but then again the corn lasts ages.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 10:03:48 AM »
but i use the asda tiger litter or the tesco value litter
which is quite cheap

Perhaps it would be more cost effective to   use a better quality  and use much less litter.

For instance if you used the wood litter you certainly would have to use no more than 2 Ltrs in a tray and perhaps only need to change every 2 or 3 days and unless a cat has a problem there is no smell of urine whatsoever, (not saying yours does, I have never uses it so don't know)

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
yea i like mine quite deep  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »
I put about 5 litres in the tray too, but I use clumping litter and it needs to be a few inches deep.

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »
4 TRays 3 really big ones and 1 smaller 1

i change them every other day
and i scoop poohs out as soon as the cats do them :evillaugh:

but i use the asda tiger litter or the tesco value litter
which is quite cheap

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
I Put between 4/5 litres of litter in each of my cat trays

Surely you jest. If true how often do you change them and how many trays do you have?

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
I Put between 4/5 litres of litter in each of my cat trays

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 09:33:24 AM »
3 level mugs of pellets in it.

RRRRRRRR but how big are the mugs?

If they are normal sized that would be about 850 whatevers ( I am thinking millilitre but am  really in the old and ounce age) make a ltr or 30 fl.oz. I suppsose it depends on the size of the trays and the amount of litter one is happy with. I know with 2 ltrs covers the bottom of my trays completly, with perhaps a double layer.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »
right last night i put the wooden pellets in codys tray (waiting for wbcl to arrive)  and he has a fairly large or atleast good sized hooded (so deep) litter tray and i put 3 level mugs of pellets in it.  I put the same amount in the big boys tray too but theirs would need changing sooner than codys  obviously.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:13:04 AM »

The worst litter tray I had was a few years ago, I think it cost about £20ish give or take a pound either way which in the 80’s was not cheap for a litter tray. We were on holiday in Cornwall and you know what it is like when you are away a bit more frivolous, (I didn't know I knew how to spell that). It was a new one out on the market and was an odd shape and the litter was small black washable pellets, on the box it said no fuss, no smell and other good points. They lied. When a cat did a pee it went through the pellets, through a sieve and into a receptacle. To empty it you took of the top two parts and then you had to pick it up  and hold it in both hands and it seemed to wobble from side to side. Almost say  like holding a sheet A4 paper with both hands and placing something heavy on it and trying to hold it straight. Of course you can imagine where the pee went, everywhere. When the cats did a poo all the black bits stuck to it good and proper and you were supposed to wash it off, ugh. The kitchen floor was also full of the little black plastic pits. It was a nightmare. I contacted the firm and they said that they could not understand my problem. So I quoted the words on the box to them and said I would contact the trading standards. Within a couple of days I had my money back and they let me keep the tray. Which was thrown away immediately. I think they must have been withdrawn, as I have never seen one since.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:54:16 AM »
How much woodbase do you put in your trays - only asking as we have 18 litter trays (36 cats) and have only used 6 bags of wood pellets since christmas -

Blimey.  If I had 18 trays I think I would use 5 - 6 bags a week I would think, although I expect some of your cat 'go' outside sometimes . In the larger l trays we put approx 2 ltrs , in the medium trays 1½ ltrs, so a bag last between 15 and 20 refills. If Jessica uses a tray when she is in her bum like a cow backside mode it may need changing 2 a couple of times a day, the tray in the little bedroom needs changing every day. The others last a few days (I always take out the poo) as soon as it is seen or more usually sniffed. This week I have had 2 cats in the outside pens so two litter trays and since last Friday they have only needed be be completely changed twice and I  or we (that is the Royal we as my husband changes the trays when he is in) never let the trays get completely to sawdust before they are completely changed I also find if you do there is more tracking. Mind you that is not a problem in this day and age with Hoovers etc is it?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »
around 9 or 10 pounds and for a start i made the mistake of having it quite deep

I know it depends on the brand, but some of these shops are making a huge profit.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:22:05 PM by Ela »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:56:21 AM »
I must admit I get confused with wood based litter. When I used it I would cover the bottom of the tray then scoop the poo's and stir the rest until it all went to sawdust then I would change it. Since then I got told I should scoop the sawdust out which when I tried seemed to bother my cats who prefered the sawdust to the pellets. I then went onto clumping litter but was using catsan and found it really expensive so now Im back to standard white litter which is cheaper but very dusty. I find they all track but normal litter is worse as they can get that through to the front room where as clumping and sawdust they tend to lose before leaving the back bedroom.
Hmmm now Ive written that I might go back to wood based again  :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 07:45:54 AM »
Tan, do you have a garden centre called The Range near you? They do 30l bags of woodbased for about £7 or £8. Maybe shop around to see if there is anyone else nearby that does it for a better price? I do agree with using less iwth the woodbased, everytime I have been generous, I have ended up with too much in the tray when it goes to sawdust!!
Please spay your cat

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 23:03:51 PM »
so what would you suggest is the best for a 5 cat house hold wbcl or wood pellets

Stuff like catsan i use that in 3 days as well

I must be too generous i have quite deep litter trays and they are usually half full if not a bit more and i scoop out during the day, but during the night there litter trays gets disgusting and once i start scooping i have about a handful of clean litter left, then i see the tray needs cleaning as it has tried poo on it so i am refreshing everyday

I tried the wbcl the other day as it was reduced to 6.66 in pah but as i said gone in 3 days my cats when they wee dont tend to stay in one place as when im scooping there wee is everywhere once it has dried ( if you know what i mean)they tend to move about when they are weeing

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 21:35:08 PM »
My goodness you must be going through far too much litter.

a 20 quid bag of wbcl says it should last 4 cats 18days +.  My experience of it is it lasts my cat much longer than that stated days and i use the proper depth aswell.

with the wood chips you are best putting a sparse covering on the bottom as said before the minute it gets wet it expands in the form of "non compressed" sawdust, this should be very inexpensive i'd say.  I bought a very large bag and was only around 9 or 10 pounds and for a start i made the mistake of having it quite deep..its doesnt clump and i find i was emtpying the trays each day too so now you can still see bits of the bottom of litter tray when i use that. (with wbcl the whole point is you dont have to empy often, just scoop.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 20:51:04 PM »
well if you have 18 cats and still have yr woodbased litter i must be doing something wrong!!!

I do put in quite a lot i must admit so u reckon just enough to cover the tray

I have 5 cats and they pee and poo all the while infact i think my cats do it on purpose as soon as there trays are cleaned they all make a point of being the first to the honours even if they dont want one one i think its a matter of principle

when i get up in the mornings the wood chips have turned to sawdust so i compleatly change the litter everyday plus also my boys have a habit of missing the tray and poo down the sides and on the carpet so i wake up to a smell of dried poo

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 20:44:19 PM »
How much woodbase do you put in your trays - only asking as we have 18 litter trays (36 cats) and have only used 6 bags of wood pellets since christmas - we only cover the bottom of the tray and sift the litter as we have a septic tank and can't flush it in the sewage system like we used to at our last house - still we recycle the "wet litter" at the gardening section of our refuse recycle place.

Try putting in less pellets - also helps with the tracking of the sawdust.

We have feral/domestic and pedigree so have the broad range also in ages from 17 to 2 and wood pellets suit us and the kids now the ferals are weaned off the compost!!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 20:42:57 PM »
so i tried the chicken feed the big bag for £7 that lasts me 2 weeks but it gets everywhere all over the carpets

plus the chicken feed doesnt really mask the smells of the litter tray

also am i abnormal do i go through litter to much i would like to know how people on here get through litter bags how long theres last for? ;) ;)

Oh, thats a shame about the chick crumbs - perhaps it depends on the make. I've never had a problem with tracking with the one I use - its Dodson and Horrell, I mean, yes, it does track a bit, but not to the extent that some litters I've tried did - Cats Best for instance. I've never noticed any problem with odours either, in fact its been better than any proper cat litter I've used.

I would say the 20kg sack of chick crumbs lasts my trays (6 trays indoors - I've also got 4 out in the garage, but I just use newspaper in those) about 2 wks, and I've just found an even cheaper source at £5.20 - so I'm well chuffed!  ;D

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
cat litter stresses
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 20:34:36 PM »
Im at my wits end with cat litter i have 5 cats and been through every cat litter imaginable i like the wood pellets but its so costly i get through a 30ltr bag in 6 days so at £13 a week that is expensive
Then i tried worlds best and the 10ltr bag lasted 3 days so i tried the chicken feed the big bag for £7 that lasts me 2 weeks but it gets everywhere all over the carpets i tried the magic matt which is suppose to grab the litter of the paws but it doesnt work it gets everywhere on the beds on the stairs on teh worktops plus the chicken feed doesnt really mask the smells of the litter tray

Does anyone know of any wood chip litter that is large and cheap,

also am i abnormal do i go through litter to much i would like to know how people on here get through litter bags how long theres last for? ;) ;)

Link to CatChat