Author Topic: Good and sad vet visit  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Good and sad vet visit
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 16:17:18 PM »
The most upsetting time was when a taxi driver commented "he's having a good sleep, isn't he?" I couldn't bear to say he was dead (this was Max), I just 'mm'd.

I hate the idea of that happening to me so i have had them visited at home. Its worth that extra money to be able to sob in your own home. Although the insurance paid for George which was nice of them.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
The first time one of my cats was pts I wouldn't have dreamed of not staying. I'm so glad I did. She went so peacefully that it reassured me I was doing the right thing for her; she just 'went to sleep'.

I've always had to fight back tears when staying with them, but I would rather brave it out and be with them than leave them with strangers. I cry buckets afterwards.

I have a good vet practise. They put me into a little side room while waiting for the taxi with the deceased cat.

The most upsetting time was when a taxi driver commented "he's having a good sleep, isn't he?" I couldn't bear to say he was dead (this was Max), I just 'mm'd.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 08:52:30 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 19:41:26 PM »
When Bina had to be PTS we were both with her, I tried so hard not to cry until she had gone to the bridge but couldnt help it.  I had to stay with her because after all the years of love she gave us I couldnt let her go with strangers voices being the last that she heard.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 16:46:36 PM »
Still can't think much about that furry fella as I feel I let him down badly .....

Well this thread did get me thinking about my lad and was a bit surprised at the sobbing that ensued this am after 13 months. Didn't realise it is still so near the surface. Ela you are so right to point out that, steeling ourselves to go in and be with them during the last kindness, is deeply upsetting no matter how many times you do it. But I couldn't think of not doing it with mine altho certainly am not judging others if they don't.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Agree Ela time doesn't ease the tears but at least they have someone there at the end when possible to love them even if just for a moment thats why everything - ours, fosters or the strays gets a name that way they are ours and remebered fondly. :Luv:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
I too cant do it (wish i could) far too emotional for that (wish i wasnt)

I know what you mean, I was like that when I was younger. I always used to say to the vet please give them a cuddle and tell them I love them. But as I got older I realized that I had a responsibility to the cats and that it was not about me it was the little ones and then I felt (and still do) so guilty about the little ones I had not been with.

Please don't think that it is any easier for us in rescue no matter how many we have to authorise to PTS. It is always an emotional time whether it be our own cat or a rescue, even cats that we may have known only a few days or sometimes hours does not make it easy. The tears still flow.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
I too cant do it (wish i could) far too emotional for that (wish i wasnt) :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:08:44 AM »
I am fortunate that none of mine have ever screamed at the injections - the last two have been sedated first though, and Blackie did need two injections, so I didn't want PEbbles sedating in case it was the sedation that had meant Blackie needed 2, but my vet wouldn't do it to Pebbles unless she was sedated, she didn't want to look into her eyes as she was fond of her.
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 08:07:23 AM »
no ela ive not never gone in the room while the vet pts  a cat of mine myself
my mum went in when we lost snowy and me and my sister waited in the waiting room
and i was crying my eyes out

and with bubbles well he wasnt pts he was killed  :'(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:00:33 AM »
I took a friend to the vets when her cat had to be pts. She was so upset I offered to stay and hold him but she decided she'd stay. They had to do 2 injections and he screamed it was awful. I wish she hadnt stayed, then I could have told her he went peacefully  :(
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:59:20 AM »
Sometimes the decision is to much for folks

I agree, I am always with the cats as they seem to 'go' so easily, if death can be nice it is. However, I could not be with Badger, although Stuart nursed him until the end I went in the surgery next door and sobbed my heart out. I could not hold back the tears and I did not want to distress Badger any more than he was with my cries. Also once I was in a vets and could see through a half open door a dog PTS, it did not go easy and that scene has haunted me for years.

The only bad experience I have had with a cat is the one I posted about on CC where the call out vet at another practice did not want us there and he was so made when we insisted that we went into another room to get the preparation ass he came back in and walked past the table he just   on the table he then put the rest in her leg.

As Eric was gently putting Peewee to sleep a few week ago I said something and little Pee turned his head and looked at me with his little tongue slightly out, Eric and a vet nurse said in unison, he is just saying goodbye, in a way that comment was comforting although very sad and now I am in tears again.

awwwww  i could never not go with one of mine and hold them right till the end when the time comes , id not want them to be with someone they didnt know although i can understand why the lady couldnt do it
i think id be complety and utterly hysterical where i would be crying so much  which wouldnt help at all would it i know

I cannot understand the above, (Possibly me being thick) e.g. ‘I could never not go', Then 'I think I'd be utterly hysterical etc.  If you had been there you would know how you were not  and  think you would be. Does that make sense.'

Unless you mean you have never yet been in the unfortunate position.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:59:55 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:38:15 AM »
I have always cried while holding mine, but would prefer that than them to go with strangers - I think my prob is that I didn't know what to do with my first cat, and listened to my neighbours advice to keep her on meds as there was a slight chance, and due to that, she went alone at the vets, and I regret not being able to make that decision and be there for her, so am determined not to do that again
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 23:25:46 PM »
I will always be there for mine, .... but if a person really cant keep some sort of composure for the animals sake them perhaps its more distressing for them in their final minutes/seconds then being left with the vet and nurse.

I so agree. When Gandi was pts 25th April last, it went badly and my composure (that I have always kept in the past) disappeared completely. I think that is why I'm still so angry with the vet. Still can't think much about that furry fella as I feel I let him down badly taking vet's advice on how the pts was all going to happen. Never again. I promise to do better next time. RIP little ginger & white cat. :'(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 20:09:39 PM »
I know when Parsley had to be let go my partner couldn't bear to be there. I stayed with her, stroked her and told her how much we all loved her. It was hideously painful but I didn't cry properly until she'd gone - I didn't want the last thing she saw to be me crying loads!

Glad your vet visit went well, Desley. And RIP to the poor little one who had to leave.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 20:03:44 PM »
Poor Lady.

I will always be there for mine, Ive administered lethal injections to some of them myself but if a person really cant keep some sort of composure for the animals sake them perhaps its more distressing for them in their final minutes/seconds then being left with the vet and nurse.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 19:34:53 PM »
I suppose it is, it is just something I could never ever do, however hard it is - only 3 of mine have gone without me there, the first because my neighbour said we should give her longer on morphine just in case it helped, so she went alone (and naturally) at the vets, George was unexpected, he had gone for a dental, and his liver enzymes were too raised, and Ginger was also unexpected. They are the ones that hurt the most, as I wasn't there.
She wasn't dropping it off after it had gone Liz, even if I hadn't looked, you heard him as the receptionist took him into the back - I was incredibly tempted to ask if I could stay and hold the poor mite.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 19:31:13 PM »
Sometimes the decision is to much for folks and I know Robin is very upset about Bert - his first time as we have lost 2 to RTA's, Moose died in my arms after I had phoned the vet, Holly died in her box on the way to the vet and I pur Breeze down at home so I think it effects all differently.

Also the poor we soul may have already been gone and she was dropping it off.  It is the hardest thing we do and I know having lost 3 in 9 months that it is soul destroying and as I say affects us all differently
 :(
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 19:19:34 PM »
awwwww :'( i could never not go with one of mine and hold them right till the end when the time comes , id not want them to be with someone they didnt know
although i can understand why the lady couldnt do it
i think id be complety and utterly hysterical where i would be crying so much  which wouldnt help at all would it i know  :-:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Good and sad vet visit
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 19:15:27 PM »
Went to pick Kizzy up after her spay, and outside the vets was a woman holding a ginger and white cat in a towel - first instinct was how stupid can you be to hold your cat wrapped up stood outside, the road isn't that busy, but still has a fair few cars on the road. While I was waiting to pay, she came back in, they put a cat in a basket and left in tears - cat was to be pts, didn't ask why. I can't understand people who dont want to stay with their cats, I could never ever do that. RIP little one.
The good side was I got charged less than I expected, am sure they have messed up, but wasn't going to complain!! And then I said I didn't really need the e-collar, I have 2 in the house already, so got money knocked off for that! And, they give an RC pack which has a 400g bag of food, measuring cup and vouchers, and I got asked if I wanted a couple more for the rest of them and wasn't going to turn down food, so have got 2 female and 1 male (the boys like the RC food).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 19:15:46 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat