Author Topic: Is this normal??  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Is this normal??
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 14:21:01 PM »
I think it also has something to do with them taking comfort being near us when they are feeling a bit low.  As much as cats can help people feel calmer I think people can help cats feel calmer.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
That's lovely HippyKitty, I hope you're right. When Rosie came home, I slept on the floor with her for 3 weeks and fed her by hand, my Son helped clean her and her wounds.

She has now resorted to pulling my Son's soft toys off the bed and plonking herself in their place!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
This may sound silly, but I think cats understand that we have helped them to survive near death and this creates a deeper bond between cat and human. I had this with Minnie, who became extremely ill. I took her to a vet who put her on steroids and antibiotics and did an FLV test, which was positive. He wanted to pts, but something told me that her illness and the FLV were unrelated. So I fed her with a syringe, and gave her lots of water too, until she overcame the infection, which took weeks. Eventually, I found a vet who knew more about FLV than I did (I did masses of research at the library) and helped her to overcome the infection, despite most vets I saw telling me to pts. She lived another four years.

Minnie developed a deep bond with me, maybe because I had nursed her night and day, back to health.

Your cat probably recognises how you've helped her, and loves you more for it. Such a lovely outcome.  :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
Mogs has become more clingy since she had her teeth done. Its strange shes more in charge with Amber and stands up for herself more but then she's started appearing at my chair around 2 and yowling and following me until tea time then goes back to bed......Maybe she just thinks tea time should be earlier  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »
Since our cat had her accident nearly 4 weeks ago now, she has been very very affectionate.

Over the years I have found that cats who were perhaps the 'they who must be obeyed' type have after a severe illness or something and needed much nursing become the most affectionate cats ever. Although it was not for the lack of attention before that they were robust.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
Strange isn't it? I hope she realises that we loved her just as much before the accident!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »
I had a similar thing with Tiggy when she was very young, she had a cut on one of her toe pads and had to have stitches, a bandage and a head cone.  Before this although she was affectionate she wasn't really a cuddly cat and didn't like her back being stroked or being picked up, having the head cone on completely transformed her and she suddenly liked being picked up and stroking her back was no problem.

Glad she's on the mend and you get extra cuddly cat into the bargain too!

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
Is this normal??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
Since our cat had her accident nearly 4 weeks ago now, she has been very very affectionate. This may sound a bit odd, but she has always been quite aloof and very independent. She was never a lap cat, wouldn't follow you around, would ONLY come running in if she hear her food bowl being moved etc and generally very quiet, the only time you would hear her was when she saw a bird.

As aloof and unsociable as she was, we loved her very much.

Now, is the TOTAL opposite, she follows me around EVERYWHERE, she loves nothing morning that curling up next to me or on my lap for a head tickle. She 'chats' constantly, responds to her name and comes running (almost - with a bit of effort) when you call.

I have even woken up to her lying next to me on my bed purring her head off!

In the morning, she waits outside my Son's bedroom door, then goes wappy when he gets up.

What has happened - don't get me wrong - we love her either way, but the change in her is astonishing!! :Crazy: :Crazy:

Link to CatChat