Author Topic: Help with fledgling!  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Help with fledgling!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 13:30:54 PM »
I know it was impossible when I found a bird in London. I was coming along the towpath by my flat and saw a bird bobbing in the canal. Its eyes were blinking so I grabbed a broom and fished it out. I rang RSPB and a snooty sounding woman asked if it was a swan. I told her it wasn't - I didn't know what it was and it could possibly be a young pigeon. She told me she "couldn't possibly help  and suggest you phone the RSPCA" I got a number from somewhere and it was a recorded message. Someone called me back and said they couldn't do anything but told me to put it in a box somewhere quiet as it was probably in shock. He said it would either revive or die. Later on that day, we released it in the park - it ran off (it couldn't fly) but we saw crows going after it. It was too late to get it back so I don't know what happened to it  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 13:21:41 PM »
It seems extreme in America, you have to be a licensed rehabber to have a bird in your care or your breaking the law!  :shify: :shify:

The wildlife centre werent keen but im sure some money will soften the blow  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
Great news!  ;D

Also good that someone will take it from you I read about "rehabbers" in America but couldn't see much info on them in the UK

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
So pleasewd he has made it through the night and great that he is going where they are used to dealing with flappy feathered things  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
Mr chicky fluff has made it through the night!  ;D
The wildlife rescue can take him but not until later today, the girl said they have to keep them 2 months before releasing, i think thats odd, he doesnt need handfeeding or anything  :-:

He ignored the hi life pate, the ungrateful thing! I tried feeding on the end of a teaspoon but he isnt obliging, he can probably sense that i dont feel comfortable handling birds as they are so flimsy & flappy, something hairy with 4 legs is so much easier  :doh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 23:07:38 PM »
The cats have been bad today, 4 birds and a frog  >:(

Well no, as far as they're concerned, they've been good! :evillaugh:

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Hope Mr Chicky Fluff makes it. I know how you feel, about two weeks ago my oldest tom came to the back door with a baby bluetit in his mouth - and it was still very much alive. I picked him up and made him drop it, then tried to ensure it was capable of sitting in a tree and not being too obvious!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 22:30:25 PM »
egg yolk for definate, this can be given raw (trust me i have 14 birds)....yes water too x

i would'nt bother with the seeds....as then birdie would need grit to act as teeth!

Good luck with the birdie and hope little one makes it ok....

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 20:51:53 PM »
WATER!

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 20:14:19 PM »
I have been doing a bit of digging and they say you need to feed them every 1-2 hours (a bit difficult to do overnight) it says to check if they are dehydrated (look inside the beak and the mouth should be wet) The general concensus is to try to return them to where you found them within 36 hours in order for the parents to accept them back .- the parents will recognise the sound.  If it isn't self-feeding, they say to feed them with something like a coffee stirrer or something similar that doesn't have a sharp end. Calcium is the most important thing they need - mealworms are recommended (I saw dried mealworm in PAH yesterday - also fatballs with dried insect in)

Some egg yolk might be good.

Not easy to get these things at 8pm. I hope it survives. That has reminded me to dig out kylies collar with a bell for daytimes. I almost bought the bird-protector collar but it has a buckle  :-:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 22:38:49 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Help with fledgling!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 19:53:17 PM »
The cats have been bad today, 4 birds and a frog  >:(
There is one survivour from the blood shed, a sparrow fledgling. Its unharmed & is only a day or so away from being able to fly properly. Has all his feathers  ;D
I have it in a wire cat basket with sticks poking through for perches.
Iv found some bird seed which iv crushed a bit and put some cat kibble into soak. Also melted some suet and mixed in seed like a fat ball. Oh and some hi life chicken pate, the internet reckons that cat food is good.
He's lively but not too interested in food, too stressed i assume!

He's been christened Mr Chicky Fluff, any tips on keeping him alive?!
I feel bad that i couldnt release it straight away but there are so many cats here he wouldnt have made it  >:(

Link to CatChat