Author Topic: Advice on how to encourage owners to spay  (Read 1770 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice on how to encourage owners to spay
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:45:27 AM »
Thanks, Hippy. A bit of sneaky detective work - I like it. One of the other guys who works in there is really sound, I bet he'd give me the guys address!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »
It seems that he's not interested in the cat welfare angle, just in the money, therefore aim your argument at his pocket.  Say something like, "Don't you find it expensive, feeding all those cats, and the vets bills when things go wrong with the birth? It must be really costly to have to take the pregnant cat for vet checks."
If he replies something like, "we don't really bother with all that, just let 'em get on with it," you've got him. The RSPCA have the power now to find out his address from his employer and to prosecute him on the grounds of neglect (he's not taking care of his queens).

People like him don't deserve cats! >:(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 19:04:14 PM »
Hannah, that's brilliant advice! If only it were legal!

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 18:48:42 PM »
threaten to do it to him if he doesnt do it to them???
ah, if only!!!  :tired:

sorry, no better advice x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 18:45:15 PM »
To be honest, he didn't seem to get past the "awww, look kittens" part.

I'll try and have another chat with him, but I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference to how he treats his cats.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 17:58:59 PM »
That's a hard one, esp as he's not really getting that much money but still sees them as a way to make money.  I think there are 2 approaches, but I'm not sure either one will work

1.  The health angle like Milly's mum mentions.

2.  The over population and the fact that so many cats live in rescues for ages looking for a new home and some get put to sleep.

I think that until you actually talk with people in the front line of rescue you aren't aware of exactly how big the over population problem is.  Before I joined catchat I didnt' realise.  I knew there were lots of rescues and homeless cats - indeed, I got Jaffa and his brother from a rescue - but I don't think I realised the extent of the problem.  

But it all really depends on how much he cares for his cats and whether he's prepared to put their health and welfare first.  Is there anything in the new welfare act you could use to scare him?  Do you think he's the kind of person who would take the cats to the vet if they were having difficulties?  Perhaps telling him how much it could cost him if things go wrong and they have to have an emergency cesarian might have some effecct

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 17:56:38 PM »
if he is just out to make money then he isnt going to listen no matter what u say to him hun

if he continously keeps breeding from them u could report him to the rspca if u have his address but u proberly dont given that he is a security guard at the job centre lol

my makosis mummy had many litters and the woman quite openly admitted she lost count how many times she had kittens
i reported her to rspca but when the inspector went round she denied owning a cat  :censored:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 17:52:42 PM »
If they have no compassion towards their pets then you have no chance  >:(
If they care, then being told about cancer, pyometra, diseases such as felv and fiv (these types of people normally let the cat be had by the local tom not a healthy stud) and scare monger over caesarian costs.
Also tell stories about tiny fluffy kittens being PTS because of the shortage of homes.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice on how to encourage owners to spay
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 17:49:09 PM »
I was wondering the best way to go about this. I went to the local jobcentre recently and was talking to one of the "security" people, he told me he had nine cats.

I was a bit amazed at this amount, and he informed me they have that many because two of his females got pregnant at the same time. I said "oh, are you getting them spayed after the kittens have gone?" he answered that he had no intention of doing so, as he gets £30 per kitten.

What's the best way to deal with such a short sighted git?!

Link to CatChat