Author Topic: Pedigree V Natural Instinct .  (Read 1830 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Pedigree V Natural Instinct .
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 13:41:28 PM »
Helen yep its never usually far away  ;D

Ruthy its always great when we find out new things about our feline babys, I know of course what the big boys are like as both have caught wildlife before..Fraser is the rodent man and Sebastian definately has a knack of catching the birds..Infact i cannot think if fraser has ever caught a bird. (he will eat those seb catches then of course vomit partially digested feathers etc on my carpet afterwards  :tired:)  Some cats much prefer the torture and playing rather than actually eating but i am sure cody would have actual ingestion foremost in his mind.

Millys Mum, cat run is really for big boys but yes codster prob will get out in there too (he does manage to escape through cat flap into their shed sometimes anyway.)   Funnily enough in all the year i had a run their the only things that were ever caught are birds (very stupid birds who fly into cats run LOL) and lovely little shrews..that upsets me a bit as they dont try to come into our houses or do any harm poor wee things..however there was a small type of tree in the run previously and i think the shrews lived under their as there were little holes, that tree has now been removed and the area is to be slabbed over so hopefully they wont get eaten now.

Might be braver next time and leave cody with the mouse if we get another one in the loft..i just couldnt help think of the worms etc and didnt want my baby boy to get them  :evillaugh:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
hippy i was eating my breakie as i read that  :sick: :sick: :sick: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:10:05 AM »
Mine have occasionally brought one in - alive! Polly caught them (too old now, bless her) but hasn't had any teeth since I've had her, no idea what happened to them; so she tried to gum the mice to death! Samantha would nick them off her and finish the job. They would then toss the body around - I left them to it. They've never actually eaten one, unlike Max, my previous cat, who caught birds and ate them, feathers, beak, claws - EVERYTHING in a few munches.

The worse one was Bella, an ex feral, who would greet me in the morning with the carcasses of birds and feathers strewn around the lounge! She'd be so proud!

Well, if we will love these little carnivores........
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 22:18:01 PM »
Great news Lynn that Cody knows the difference between the toys and the real thing. Goes to show that the carnivore instinct is there and true to his ancestors.

I haven't tried the same with Lexy but that's just because I'm squeamish! OH wants to see if she shows interest and I suspect she would. Just don't have it in me to watch. Watched loads of mice, little lizards and birds getting hunted back home with our cats. :sick:  was enough to put me off :rofl:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 21:53:41 PM »
it upsets me to see or hear of cats catching mice
 mice r little lives after all  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 17:39:46 PM »
Aww bless him, will he get to go out in your run when its done Lynn? He might get to catch his own mousey then  :evillaugh:

I was at a sanctuary the otherday where they have quite a few owls, i heard a squeal and a barn owl caught his own mouse infront of my friend, i was very pleased he got a fresh meal  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 17:06:56 PM »
You do make me laugh Lynn, camera at the ready for every occasion  :evillaugh:  Cody look very imoressed with his new toy  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 14:09:32 PM »
RE your older female..i think thats just what you call...clever  ;)

Yup, she's a smart cookie alright. ;D Well, was before she started losing her marbles, but hey, she's still adorable!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 14:09:48 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
JS yes it most cetainly was bonafida dead LOL.

RE your older female..i think thats just what you call...clever  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:07:31 PM »
The mouse in the picture is dead? Huh. You can't tell!

I think the instinct to eat a mouse is prominent in most cats because they know that it contains something that's good for them! (Bit unfortunate for the mouse,really!)

I think the funniest hunting tactic I've encountered is my oldest female, who let my oldest tom do all the work.Then if he brought anything back she tapped him on the nose and he dropped it for her and went to find something else. (She mothered him when he first came tyo live with us, so I think he sees her as his mum!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:09:36 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Pedigree V Natural Instinct .
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:16:46 AM »
The other night we finally caught the mouse thats been scurrying around in our loft for weeks.  Out of curiosity i wanted to see how cody would react since he's never actually seen the "real thing" before and i have always suspected his hunting instinct was quite good. (our mousetraps suffocate not the old fashioned type so i wasnt offering him something headless or disgusting)

Well i was right he was indeed very interested in the mousey but he really suprised me by wanting to just get down to the business of eating it !!!  (which he didnt get to do LOL)   The history of laperms goes back to when they were actually mousers pre and post curly generations so i think that instinct has been passed on pretty well and i now know should cody come face to face with the live version he'd make his kill pretty swiftly. (not that is likely to happen but its interesting to find out more about our little loved furbabes)

Pics arent grose or anything, and i took Lotties advice of using the bath  :evillaugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat